ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday morning Louisville football news & notes

Chris Person

Oct 3, 2016
Good morning everyone on the eve of early signing day. I won't really get into the recruiting talk here as I will save that for Dave but I did have a couple things I wanted to drop by here for your all's information.

- First and foremost is that while I have seen some talk about the possibility of a bowl game or even an additional game like with UK, I asked a source's opinion of the matter and they said they doubted anything like that would really happen. Their reasonings behind it were that the financials wouldn't really make much sense for the school and the fact that some kids have already gone home for the break and so testing and getting them back on campus for practicing beforehand may be a little difficult. Not saying it can't happen but I wouldn't expect it to.

- Regarding the quarterback situation, Louisville is in a bit of a bind. As of right now the only 2 QB's they have returning next year are Cunningham and Conley. I can tell you that Tee Webb leaving was a shock to the staff. Not to be downplay the situation of Webb leaving at all, but I will disclose that I have heard multiple reports over the course of the year of how much Webb struggled so while he isn't a gigantic loss from a talent perspective, Louisville really needed him for depth. Now the attention turns to Garrett Shrader as has been reported by Ty. For what it's worth, I have heard the staff really likes him and thinks he is good and be a "difference maker". Besides Shrader Louisville will now turn to TJ Lewis to be the fourth guy in the QB room. From what I have gathered, Louisville had little to no plans of that actually being the case so it isn't ideal, but he is going to have to be in there for the time being.

- As far as players transferring out goes, I mentioned it the other day but it bears mentioning again, I expect there to be quite a few guys leave for one reason or another. This is not any indication against the program as a whole, I believe this is/will be the case nationally. With the special exceptions this year some players realize they aren't going to have a shot to play next year or they feel a different situation may better suit them. For example, it sounds like the departure of Russ Yeast really didn't surprise anyone even though he could have chosen to stick around for another year. Like I mentioned above the only transfer that has been a surprise so far is Tee Webb.

- As it pertains to the defense specifically, the staff really will be after transfers to come in and make an immediate impact. They really like the amount of young talent that they have and the guys they are accumulating but the reality is that there will be a lot of inexperience on the defense and they would like to shore it up with some quality, impact transfers.

- Sort of piggybacking off the last point of having a lot of young talent but needing some impact transfers, I finally wrapped my mind around one of the biggest issues I had this entire season: why when someone is playing so poorly (ie the safeties) and there are options behind them (Jenkins & Minkins) why not give the young guys a chance? After having a conversation with someone I trust, they talked about how there was a major issue as far as the physical development of the younger players specifically due to the COVID restrictions. Thinking back on it, some of the freshmen would have only had a month or two of work at the most in a college strength and conditioning program before the season started. That is BEST case scenario. On top of that, it not like some of these guys were working on their 450lbs squats and 300lbs benches either, they were doing bodyweight squats and pushups at home. So how do other teams not feel this impact? Well, Louisville is a "development" program, needing to develop the younger lower ranked guys into ACC caliber football players whereas your FSU, Miami, Clemson's etc. all have guys who are developed more as high school players and can walk in and contribute from day 1. Louisville was in a position where they needed to count on young guys for depth this year especially on defense and frankly quite a few of them just weren't physically (or mentally) ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News