ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
So far…
Alex Galvan, Noah Smith and Ben Weigman. No surprise ls here. Has anyone heard any other names?

Jody Demling on 93.9 about 6:30 tonight named 6 in the portal. The 3 listed above and 3 others who I am not familiar with.

Someone might want to correct me if I have mischaracterized Noah Smith here, but I believe “he was hitting below the Mendoza line“, and while his speed made him a serious base running threat, he was not very effective this last season.

Not sure about you guys watching other college baseball teams this season, but there is a tremendous amount of talent beyond what I witnessed from this year’s UL roster.

Watch out for Maryland in this tournament; the BIG is not normally associated with college baseball, the Terps are very good.

Noah struggled when he had his opportunities unfortunately. The previous year I thought he was going to be anpretty good player. I think he has talent but he just couldn’t get it together.

Reactions: ulcards1
I also saw where CDM is talking about roster management and the portal. While he may not love the portal it appears they are going to utilize it.

I don’t see anyway not to use the portal when players are going to use it. They have to fill holes that were created.

I would argue anyone that leaves in the portal can be replaced with ease. Nolan Smith is a lower level guy at the plate above average guy in the field.

Pitching it is far more important to get impact guys. You can manage around average hitting if you have 3 legit starters and a decent bull pen. Covid year was their year and it got canceled. Legit MLB pitchers on Friday and Saturday.

Reactions: rh62531
FR infielder Jameson Richmond. Hawkins in the portal as well; I guess he has a Covid year left.

I don’t see anyway not to use the portal when players are going to use it. They have to fill holes that were created…
The last few paragraphs in Demling’s article on the subject don’t exactly sound like a big change of heart for McDonnell. To answer this particular question, he said you have to decide between taking a transfer and developing a kid in your program already.

I’ll continue to rely on what I’ve heard McDonnell say on his own without being prompted. He’ll use the portal passively, as an option, if he needs to. That’s not a coach who plans to overhaul his team quickly with transfers…

Last edited:
Reactions: earsky
I don’t see anyway not to use the portal when players are going to use it. They have to fill holes that were created.

I would argue anyone that leaves in the portal can be replaced with ease. Nolan Smith is a lower level guy at the plate above average guy in the field.

Pitching it is far more important to get impact guys. You can manage around average hitting if you have 3 legit starters and a decent bull pen. Covid year was their year and it got canceled. Legit MLB pitchers on Friday and Saturday.
I didn't know Nolan took up baseball? Just kidding, I knew who you meant.

The last few paragraphs in Demling’s article on the subject don’t exactly sound like a big change of heart for McDonnell. To answer this particular question, he said you have to decide between taking a transfer and developing a kid in your program already.

I’ll continue to rely on why I’ve heard McDonnell say on his own without being prompted. He’ll use the portal passively, as an option, if he needs to. That’s not a coach who plans to overhaul his team quickly with transfers…
Saw the article and thought that was saying something about these Freshmen and the class coming in.
Plug some holes,figure out who wants to be here and let the farm system get back on track. Covid really jilted the program and lucky are the few(programs)that saw everything line up for them. We certainly weren't one.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
My point is if he losses 10 guys to the portal he has to replace them with transfers. I agree I don’t think he wants to use it but he will be forced to. He may of used Juco in the past but now he will use transfers because they are easier to evaluate.

Reactions: Bardman
With what remains on the roster and what he has coming in already - that is a LOT of players. He should be able to be very selective with the portal and just take a handful of very specific needs.

Reactions: rh62531 and earsky
With what remains on the roster and what he has coming in already - that is a LOT of players. He should be able to be very selective with the portal and just take a handful of very specific needs.
A handful of Redshirts along with incoming Frosh should fill a lot of these openings.
The rest with transfers. I don't think we'll see but probably 3-5 transfers.
Jmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
A handful of Redshirts along with incoming Frosh should fill a lot of these openings.
The rest with transfers. I don't think we'll see but probably 3-5 transfers.
Jmo.
That is a good mix. My preference is they land 3-5 transfer pitchers. Pitchers that have performed at this level and meet all their metrics.

I am not worried about the field or plate. That will improve for most as they get more experienced.

Reactions: rh62531 and Deeva
I agree on the pitchers. I think one weekend capable starter is needed and then at least one right-handed relief pitcher who is proven. I also think finding a very capable guy with power would be nice.

Reactions: Deeva
If UL Baseball loses 10 to the transfer portal, it should speak loudly towards why relying on traditional HS recruiting is not a sustainable option anymore. UL has so few transfers now, it should be evident that those who are leaving UL, must be almost exclusively largely from our HS recruiting base.

The only way UL Baseball can return to its previous reputation as “Omaha Bound”, is by winning in the ACC, and it should be evident by now, the transfer portal is necessary for that to occur. Watching the ACC and SEC teams who are having success, it’s the transfers who are impacting the most.

UK is a perfect example of a SEC bottom feeder that turned it self around in one season by bringing in a boatload of transfers.

If UL Baseball loses 10 to the transfer portal, it should speak loudly towards why relying on traditional HS recruiting is not a sustainable option anymore. UL has so few transfers now, it should be evident that those who are leaving UL, must be almost exclusively largely from our HS recruiting base.
Yes they are from that base. Covid has had an impact on every program in the country. The ripples of allowing guys an extra year just being felt around here the past couple of years. I can't answer for other programs but it took a few years for the logjam to have an affect on us.
I think guys leaving will balance out the logjam. We'll still need to plug holes,especially on the pitching staff.

They should take a look at the Ball St pitcher who stifled UK for 8 innings.

The only way UL Baseball can return to its previous reputation as “Omaha Bound”, is by winning in the ACC, and it should be evident by now, the transfer portal is necessary for that to occur. Watching the ACC and SEC teams who are having success, it’s the transfers who are impacting the most.

UK is a perfect example of a SEC bottom feeder that turned it self around in one season by bringing in a boatload of transfers.
I wasn't questioning the number from @Thecycle27 although 10 transfers does sound high. My question is why McDonnell should feel compelled to take in an equal number of transfers. CDM's response would likely be "I can go to the high school ranks and add half that number."

It's a wide spectrum between no transfers and aggressively pursue transfers. He's clearly somewhere in the middle. And I don't think CDM sees transfers as a quick fix for what ails his team. I guess until he finds out otherwise, that's the way it will be.

These old school guys see NIL and the portal similarly. CDM HAS said that he would embrace NIL if he could give more kids scholarship money. Of course, that's just doling it out; I don't think he's been too aggressive trying to raise it which you have to do first...

We will have to see how it plays out it ultimately is a numbers game. We know he didn’t trust a sole in the bullpen this year.

There is a passive and aggressive way to handle the portal. I think Dan will be passive. He won’t force guys out. However if guys leave and they will he will take transfers to fill spots. Obviously I don’t know the number that will leave and if he will even take the same number in. I do think pitchers will be the focus in the portal.

Without looking at who's part of the signed class for next season and seeing how many arms,we know for sure Mac has to get a little more seasoned number pitchers on board if he's got 3-4 year guys returning that he has lost faith in.
I guess this is where those conversations start about players returning 🤔

Interesting that we're discussing this topic as I turn on the IU-uk game and they're having the same conversation about the difference between IU and uk.
The Hoosiers taking the road more like the one Mac is taking by playing a blend of mostly first and second year guys while uk taking the transfer route to get where they're at today.

Good points all around on this exchange!

IU is indeed very young, and I totally appreciate their performance thus far in Lexington. However, it was a transfer from Rutgers that stepped up with a late game 3run HR that turned a 2 run deficit into a 1 run lead and subsequent win at UK.

So much of the success that I have witnessed this baseball season has been a direct result of experienced and talented transfers looking for a chance to compete in Omaha, and leaving their more challenging situation for an opportunity with potential contenders.

It’s one thing to miss the NCAA tournament, it’s quite another thing to witness 8 other ACC teams make it. BC has the worst facilities in the all of the P5 conference schools; but they made it to the NCAA.

• Wow
Reactions: rh62531 and Mayoman
I think he'll look at some,but I also think offensively he was let down by some third year guys. Nothing is guaranteed in baseball, but now that the numbers are where they should be with the exodus of players,it's easier to look at those transfers.

Oversimplifying but here's my take:
  • Recruit HS talent 1st. They have a very good history and lots of experience.
    • A - if the talent continues to get better, you can lose those guys to MLB draft
    • B - If they get to campus, there is a wider range of "panning out" at the next level; just look at Koger; he was drafted but came to campus and, to date, has not panned out as expected
    • C - with new rules, recruiting HS will become more difficult
  • De-emphasize JUCO & Lower D1
    • They've proven it at a higher level than HS but not at P5 so still a wide range of "panning out"
    • Look at Farone & McCoy - flashes but huge holes and inconsistency as well
  • Step up efforts in the Portal for high D1 (incl. P5)
    • Should have a high degree of certainty as to ability to perform but there are still exceptions at this age
    • Make sure they fit the missing pieces for returning players
    • For example, if Humphrey and Beard had portaled based on last year, you would have expected much more than what they provided in 2023 at UofL
Any chance Hawks comes back? Given how he trailed off at end of year, you could argue that he could improve his draft stock by returning. If so, how would you utilize him? Seems like a back of bullpen guy since he really struggled when hitters saw him multiple times.

I think Hawks is done. If, BIG IF, he came back he’d be my middle reliever. 3 innings, maybe 4.

So if CDM is not a big proponent of waving NIL money at highly regarded transfers, isn't that another obstacle in his path? Granted college baseball isn't yet a big money sport, but he's not aggressively raising NIL money. To me, the portal and NIL would seem to go hand in hand if you're trying to make the biggest and most immediate improvement...

2024 season as it stands right now does not appear to be very encouraging; losing Knap and Peyton alone will make for a most challenging situation. I hate using UK as an example, but the transfer portal explains their rather amazing turnaround from their 2022 season to 2023. I totally respect CDM and understand how he is inclined to follow the same path that has been incredibly successful. I like the brief comment that Earsky contributed in this exchange; specifically that "some third year guys failed to perform". Putting both NIL and transfers aside for the moment; at the end of the day, the disappointing performance we witnessed by experienced returning players explains why we lost so many ACC series, and missed tournament qualification.

Knap most likely won’t be back - but who knows until the draft. I am optimistic about next year’s team. Defensively- Lots of talent returning. I think the OF will improve. IF - it won’t be worse. C - we will be fine. Pitching - there is potential for sure. This will, again, determine how well this team performs. Liggett is legit. Get West back healthy. Farone is capable. Who knows. At the plate - they have plenty of good hitters. Can they get better plate discipline? If yes, then many more wins are coming their way.

@Bardman
You thinking Knap gets drafted - maybe that's why he won't be back?
Just making sure it's for that reason.

I'm guessing we'll see Humphrey and Beard back,but I expect to see some real battles going on everywhere in the field(barring the return of Knap) except for Kilen.

A couple of redshirt Freshmen in Lippe and Dickerson will make it interesting in the outfield.

Agree about the OF. Yes, my guess is Knap gets drafted; still think he projects as a 2B. He is very good at the plate as well. Question is…how high in the draft does he go?

I just can't see Knap getting drafted high enough to make the move. Maybe I'm wrong, but he's no MLB shortstop. He should come back and move to 2nd base. Kilan should play shortstop, but that's up to McDonnell.

One last season at 2nd base could improve his draft status because again, he's just not good enough to be a MLB shortstop. He doesn't have a strong enough or consistent arm.

I just can't see Knap getting drafted high enough to make the move. Maybe I'm wrong, but he's no MLB shortstop. He should come back and move to 2nd base. Kilan should play shortstop, but that's up to McDonnell.

One last season at 2nd base could improve his draft status because again, he's just not good enough to be a MLB shortstop. He doesn't have a strong enough or consistent arm.
Knap right now is listed as a top 100 draft pick. Some have him higher. I don't think he can improve his draft status while staying another year. Much as I hate it, he needs to go. Plus, you're wrong about his arm. I said this before, we had 5 all state SS's on our roster and none of them have beaten out Knap for the position. You think Coach Mac doesn't know what he's doing? He was a SS himself.

Knap right now is listed as a top 100 draft pick. Some have him higher. I don't think he can improve his draft status while staying another year. Much as I hate it, he needs to go. Plus, you're wrong about his arm. I said this before, we had 5 all state SS's on our roster and none of them have beaten out Knap for the position. You think Coach Mac doesn't know what he's doing? He was a SS himself.
Knap is good enough SS for college but not the MLB. I'm sorry but that's what I've seen in his three years here.

Just look at all the great position players Louisville has had the past decade and how there's only a couple that has made it to the show. Knap isn't anywhere near as good as those former Cardinals.

Look, I hope I'm wrong. I would love to be wrong, but I don't think so. I just can't see how he would be a high draft pick because he's a singles hitter and an suspect fielder. He should definitely stay in school.

I'm happy to hear Knap is top 100 draft prospect. If he does move on it makes life simpler for Mac I think. No conversations next season about who should be playing short.
I think Gavin is a star,but we'll sure miss Ole #9. He's a breath of fresh air.
If he's gone,that probably means Anderson at 3rd and Senior Logan Beard at Second.

Best of luck to #9 on Draft day. I agree @ nccardfan, if the chance to move on presents itself, he probably should take it.

I’m not so sure about Logan at 2B. I would platoon him and have him be my RH DH (if he is hitting the ball). I think there is talented youth and you need to move forward. I like Logan, just think they can do better.

Last edited:
It so sure about Logan at 2B. I would platoon him and have him be my RH DH (if he is hitting the ball). I think there is talented youth and you need to move forward. I like Logan, just think they can do better.
I don't completely disagree, but knowing Mac's system, he's gonna have to have it taken away. These 4 year guys love the program and their coach loves them.
Tbs,doesn't mean somebody can't take it away but who? Have to be a Freshman I 🤔

Knap is a 2nd baseman period. In the MLB all those guys have rockets. Knap arm is average at that level. His bat is above average but I wouldn’t call him a great hitter. He is a very good college player.

I really don’t worry about the field or at the plate. I don’t like their approach at the plate and think a change is needed but that is not the problem. Pitching is the problem. That has to get better. Watching tournament games you see the Friday night guys go deep with complete command of all their pitches. The entire staff was very inconsistent with their command. I don’t see any way they don’t address pitching in the portal.

They won’t be any better maybe worse if they don’t address the pitching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT