ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a new Defensive coach?

FredCard

No-Ranking Prospect
Nov 22, 2022
Haven't posted since the KP disaster. Love our teams fight today. However is anyone else worried about our defense? This game reminded me of our bowl game when we were beat over and over with long plays by the other team.
Also, I really disagree with the overturn of the fumble by SMU late in the game. I think that pretty much sealed our fate. Anyway, Go Cards forever!

Last edited:
At Purdue, Brohm struggled with defensive coaching hires until English steadied the ship.

But id point out that Big Ten West offenses aren’t that hard to scheme for, you just have to be ready. Seems like English is good with teams with speed and can do many things

Would rather have Ivey leading the D. English has always been a just holdem enough for the offense to win. That ain't gonna cut it.

The defensive performance was not good, but it was more about SMU execution than us, Frankly I am more concerned with our offensive play calling and our inability to protect the pocket.

The defensive performance was not good, but it was more about SMU execution than us, Frankly I am more concerned with our offensive play calling and our inability to protect the pocket.
I totally agree. Great offensive performances are just hard to contain even with good defenses.

Just like last week, Louisville would have won despite everything, including replays and double pass interference calls, if not for the absolute ineptitude on one yard plays. I've never seen a good offense struggle so much getting one frigging yard.

I think the OL hasn't been perfect by any means but they have done a good job overall, considering Shough is not very mobile in this age of the dual threat QB.

Shough just wasn't quick enough to avoid the rush in that 4th quarter. On the other side, Jennings was all over the place avoiding defenders keeping the play alive.

So far I've been disappointed and surprised at the lack of misdirection and deception in Brohms playcalling. Maybe it's because Shough isn't a dual threat?

We haven’t been happy with a DC since Charlie left. We’ve seen what rotating DCs can do to a program.
English is a horrible DC he was mediocre when he was here last time under Bobby. This was the one hire by Brohm that worried me. Typical Brohm, normally a great O and weak D. English fits that well. Sure rotating DC’s aren’t good, but if they’re bad they gotta go. Ivy can take over. That was as dysfunctions as it gets today.

Last edited:
To a point, but English hasn’t been prepared for a running QB for 4 games now. He got lucky with GT as they beat themselves with mistakes. It took English a whole half to figure out how to stop ND, but it was too late. Today he was out coached and our team was clearly unprepared. So no it wasn’t entirely about SMU, they just did what good teams do take advantage of weak play. And they clearly had a good plan and are well coached.

I totally agree. Great offensive performances are just hard to contain even with good defenses.

Just like last week, Louisville would have won despite everything, including replays and double pass interference calls, if not for the absolute ineptitude on one yard plays. I've never seen a good offense struggle so much getting one frigging yard.

I think the OL hasn't been perfect by any means but they have done a good job overall, considering Shough is not very mobile in this age of the dual threat QB.

Shough just wasn't quick enough to avoid the rush in that 4th quarter. On the other side, Jennings was all over the place avoiding defenders keeping the play alive.

So far I've been disappointed and surprised at the lack of misdirection and deception in Brohms playcalling. Maybe it's because Shough isn't a dual threat?
Are you guys watching the same game? Our O line isn’t good. Last week ND was coming through going around the ends untouched. This week SMU was getting into Tyler’s face in seconds. Tyler has pretty quick release but he has to have time to find a target. The O line will make a hole for an explosive play and turn around and can’t move it one yard. Erratic play. Sure SMU is really good, but so is every team left on schedule. Continue to play like this and it’s going to be a rough year.
English’s D started failing at the end of last season and continues to look horrible, well other than when we played the two high school teams.
I revised my prediction. Will be lucky to go 7-5. The UVA game will tell us a lot. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: UofLouisville
English was not prepared, yet again, fot a quarterback that could run. The last 4 qb's have run for 324 yards and 4 td's. And most of those runs are from a 4 man rush and a soft zone defense that will allow a qb to run 10+ yards whenever they want. Same defense pretty much every play. Scared to blitz. Scared to man. Scared to give up a big play but does so over and over again because everyone knows what he will do the next play. English is less than useless, he is a hindrance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT