Random thoughts on this:
- Sad day for UofL and the community
- Hiring Chuck Smrt was a waste of money
- Self-imposing penalties was also a waste
- Cooperation with the NCAA serves no good purpose
- Pitino is too worried about preserving his own legacy
- NCAA has no reasonableness and was out for blood
- There is a sh!t-pile of money that UofL stands to lose
- This thing will be in litigation for years assuming the appeal doesn't yield positive results

Maybe. Yet to be determined is a phrase we'll all get sick of hearing before this is finally over.

I agree. Why bother trying to work with the NCAA when it means nothing. Maybe UNC had it right fighting them all this time.

I'm very curious what the basketball pundits like Jay Bilas think about this. We need the college basketball community to come to UofL's aid on this. How can anybody not see this as excessive?

Agree with the points except this one:

That was a sword that had to be fallen on by the Lee and Lewis team. If not, the post season ban happens now and nukes us moving forward in many ways from fan interest and our ability to compete in the Tourney to recruiting. As it is, we're in great shape moving forward on both those fronts.

The banner coming down taints our past, but not our future.

I'll add that the spirit of the penalties are ridiculous and out of touch with reality. If a recruit is given direct money, or the family given money or grades are tainted to obtain eligibility - that's agregious and a direct impact to your roster - you simply have players in uniform that otherwise would not be. Our situation not so much. The violations are wrong/saltious and many other adjectives, but they didn't directly impact any of our rosters rosters. No one came here because of skanky hoe parties Andrew had 4 times a year. In fact, I'd bet it scared a few off and hurt our rosters.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that the NCAA is a kangaroo court. The committee that doles out infractions decides how it feels and then enforces punishment based on that. Basically it makes up the rules and penalties as it goes along. Also, is there actual proof, other than Powell's word, that players received these extra benefits? Seems like a hefty price to pay based merely on her words.

Reactions: SoulSr and Cue Card
Agree with the points except this one:

That was a sword that had to be fallen on by the Lee and Lewis team. If not, the post season ban happens now and nukes us moving forward in many ways from fan interest and our ability to compete in the Tourney to recruiting...
Not true. You don't take the ban until you agree to take the ban. Like today, we've agreed to nothing.

UNC has pretty much debunked the theory that operating under an NCAA cloud is detrimental. We should be that lucky...

Not true. You don't take the ban until you agree to take the ban. Like today, we've agreed to nothing.

UNC has pretty much debunked the theory that operating under an NCAA cloud is detrimental. We should be that lucky...

Did the kangaroo court even mention our postseason ban in their report today?

They 3 players mentioned are the cause of the vacated wins. Just amazes me that 4 years worth of wins could be vacated because 3 players may or may not have received an adult show. To the best of my knowledge, there is little substantial proof the three players even attended or what happened if and when they were there. The university never had the opportunity to remedy their participation status. All of this was seedy and repugnant, especially the stuff regarding the recruits, but the impermissible benefits charge and resulting penalties tied directly to that are crazy.

All of this was seedy and repugnant, especially the stuff regarding the recruits, but the impermissible benefits charge and resulting penalties tied directly to that are crazy.
Agree. It's just unprecedented. I've seen a bunch of bizarre rulings over the years from the NCAA but today was just off the charts bizarre. The punishment simply does not line up with the infractions especially since the University did its best to meet this head on and deal with it appropriately. The University could have resisted and obstructed from the start. The University did not do that. The University did its best to correct this problem on its own and IMO went above and beyond what they had to do. They got zero credit for that. Zero. It's total garbage.

The only thing I read/heard was that the NCAA said they accepted UofL's post season ban and that there would be no further post season bans.
Yeah but the vacated wins and the additional scholarship reductions indicate that the NCAA didn't feel we punish ourselves enough. Who knows if we hadn't cooperated, we may have been looking at a two year postseason ban and the likelihood that Pitino resigns.

The bottom line is that the NCAA is a kangaroo court. The committee that doles out infractions decides how it feels and then enforces punishment based on that. Basically it makes up the rules and penalties as it goes along. Also, is there actual proof, other than Powell's word, that players received these extra benefits? Seems like a hefty price to pay based merely on her words.
Yep this is what has me confused. How does our court system not find enough evidence to to convict either parties, but yet the NCAA wants to punish UofL about information and pictures in a book.

I heard a UK fan, of all people, on the Afternoon Underdogs bring a little perspective to the sanctions we are facing. He said in 1989 UK faced one player (Eric Manuel) being banned from further NCAA play, one player (Chris Mills) being barred from further playing for UK, 3 years probation, 2 years post season ban, 1 year no live TV ban, and a max limit of 3 scholarships for the next 2 years. That was a crippling punishment toward their future. I know we all rolled our eyes when the NCAA implied it could have been worse. The fact is...it definitely could have been. Sure, our past banners and wins may likely be vacated, but our future is receiving minimal impact (5 games suspension for CRP, 1 additional scholarship lost/year). Our past got hammered, the future...not so much. So, there's that.

Last edited:
Yeah but the vacated wins and the additional scholarship reductions indicate that the NCAA didn't feel we punish ourselves enough. Who knows if we hadn't cooperated, we may have been looking at a two year postseason ban and the likelihood that Pitino resigns.

Right. It seems like, for the most part, the NCAA didn't even take into consideration the self imposed punishments. I said in another thread that about the only good thing I heard was that there would be no further post season bans. While I would hate to lose the banners and wins, that is all in the past at this point.

Like you said, if UofL had NOT self imposed a ban two seasons ago, they would likely be facing a one or two year post season ban coming up which would pretty much KILL the future of UofL basketball for a long while. The current team could all leave and the recruits as well. Still, with the NCAA's ruling today, other schools should wonder if they should ever cooperate with the NCAA. If everything sticks, it looks like being forthcoming and working with them insures the school/players/coaches will still be screwed. UofL's punishment does not fit what they were charged with either IMO. I thought that not getting hit with the lack of institutional control and some of the more serious charges would avoid the situation UofL is now facing. I guess not.

The bottom line is due to appeals and possible future lawsuits, it will be a very long time before this is truly behind us.

I get the feeling our fanbase is divided. Some want to just take the penalties and get this all behind us, others want to fight to the bitter end to preserve the Final Four and NCAA Championship. I'm in the 2nd camp right now.

Day +1, and I'm still pissed. I've been lost without words over this situation, but I fight it to the very end. The penalties can't get any worse but it puts a bullseye on your back for the next 50 yrs then f'nn so be it.

NCAA could have issued a post season ban for X number of seasons. That's the harshest punishment they can give out, thus Louisville got off easy in that regard.

I find it interesting that the years 2010 - 2014 are targeted. For instance I don't think Mango is one of the players since it would include last year. So who are the most likely and common players from that period? Russ, Harrell, Behanan, Blackshear?
Perhaps zach Price who didn't play in a lot of games?

Reactions: Mudge1026
I find it interesting that the years 2010 - 2014 are targeted. For instance I don't think Mango is one of the players since it would include last year. So who are the most likely and common players from that period? Russ, Harrell, Behanan, Blackshear?
Perhaps zach Price who didn't play in a lot of games?
Lots of speculation being thrown around. IDK if we'll ever actually know the truth. It's just the sign of the times, I guess.

I understand that you guys are upset but I think you guys got off lightly. There is no post season bans. Rick only got 5 games suspension. Lost a few scholarships. I think it could been a lot worse. It's time to move on and get on with life and put this thing behind you. Your baseball team is in the CWS. You got a returning Heisman Football player coming back. Basketball team looks good for next season.

An appeal could do good but most doubt it. One thing it does is cast UL in a negative light. Moving forward asap is best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT