ADVERTISEMENT

This is Grantham's M.O.....

May 29, 2001
He's from SW Virginia and coached in various capacities at his alma mater, Virginia Tech, from 1990 to 1995. Since then, here's his job history:

1996–1997 Michigan St. (DL)
1998 Michigan St. (AHC/DL)
1999–2001 Indianapolis Colts (DL)
2002–2004 Houston Texans (DL)
2005–2007 Cleveland Browns (DC)
2008–2009 Dallas Cowboys (DL)
2010–2013 Georgia (AHC/DC/OLB)
2014–2016 Louisville (AHC/DC/LB)
2017–present Mississippi State (AHC/DC/LB)

Never stayed anywhere more than a few years. Hindsight is 20/20 for Georgia and Louisville, but you'd think teams would shy away from him at some point based on his history.

Reactions: beasleythecard
TG did fine and was appreciated here. I know that's not true of his stint at Georgia, and I'm not sure about those other stopovers. Can't always paint everything with a broad brush...

Seems almost every successful Defensive Coordinator in College and pro has a specific group of former players that express love and gratitude towards their former coach. That battlefield mentality that defenses must have probably forges that even with the toughest coaches. I've never heard any of TG's former players do that. They very well be out there, I've just never seen them.

Even rough souls like Guenther Cunningham and Gregg Williams have former pupils that are fiercely loyal to them. Players will always take getting chewed out by coaches who they know have their best interest at heart.

Seems Grantham wears out his welcome after a few years. If that's true, it's a shame. He's a really smart coach.

Reactions: beasleythecard
He's from SW Virginia and coached in various capacities at his alma mater, Virginia Tech, from 1990 to 1995. Since then, here's his job history:

Never stayed anywhere more than a few years. Hindsight is 20/20 for Georgia and Louisville, but you'd think teams would shy away from him at some point based on his history.

Coaching is a nomadic business. They all bounce around for the most part.

Reactions: American Male
Coaching is a nomadic business. They all bounce around for the most part.
This used to be the exception, see the Nebraska dynasty years, those guys retired rather than otherwise for the most part

Glad he is gone. A blind walmart greeter would teach better technique.

In every big game we had grantham was outcoached.

His brother todd did nothing to improve our special teams. We had players fair catching inside the five yard line.

Then on returns had players bringing the ball out when they should have stayed in the endzone.

Louisville is a better team without me grantham and his brother todd.

I believe we will actually tackle next season.

Glad he is gone. A blind walmart greeter would teach better technique.

In every big game we had grantham was outcoached.

His brother todd did nothing to improve our special teams. We had players fair catching inside the five yard line.

Then on returns had players bringing the ball out when they should have stayed in the endzone.

Louisville is a better team without me grantham and his brother todd.

I believe we will actually tackle next season.
Todd Grantham was the DC - Tony is his brother. You would think after anonymously attacking someone for a couple of months you'd be able to keep it straight. BTW - Tony (the brother) is sticking around.

Part of your post that is in bold, I can absolutely agree with. Louisville is a better team without you.

Reactions: Kratz
Todd Grantham was the DC - Tony is his brother. You would think after anonymously attacking someone for a couple of months you'd be able to keep it straight. BTW - Tony (the brother) is sticking around.

Part of your post that is in bold, I can absolutely agree with. Louisville is a better team without you.
All you do is spew insults to posters who want the team to play better.
Hope that works for you.

All you do is spew insults to posters who want the team to play better.
Hope that works for you.
Where was the insult in my post? Am I insulting you to give you the correct name of the person that you are anonymously denigrating?

Every UofL fan on here wants the team to play better, and yet - you're the only poster that I've insulted.

Hmmmmmmm....

Where was the insult in my post? Am I insulting you to give you the correct name of the person that you are anonymously denigrating?

And let's be honest - you're the only poster that I've insulted and I suspect every UofL fan on here wants the team to play better.
That whole playing better thing is coming true because we got rid of a dc who was out of place on this team as i said all along.

That whole playing better thing is coming true because we got rid of a dc who was out of place on this team as i said all along.
Utterly and unequivocally false.

We won't know how they will play until, wait for it, they actually play next year. Until then what we do know is that we swapped a top 10 DC with recruiting ties where we need them, for an unproven and recently fired top 100 guy who's recruiting ties are in California and the Pacific Northwest.

Utterly and unequivocally false.

We won't know how they will play until, wait for it, they actually play next year. Until then what we do know is that we swapped a top 10 DC with recruiting ties where we need them, for an unproven and recently fired top 100 guy who's recruiting ties are in California and the Pacific Northwest.
You love grantham so much go root for his new school. When 3rd down comes, close your eyes as it will be a first down for the offense he is defending.
The guy is stealing money wherever he goes.

I am so glad louisville saw that and he is no longer here.

We are a much better team without grantham. A walmart greeter could draw up better schemes.

Good riddance to him.

You love grantham so much go root for his new school. When 3rd down comes, close your eyes as it will be a first down for the offense he is defending.
The guy is stealing money wherever he goes.

I am so glad louisville saw that and he is no longer here.

We are a much better team without grantham. A walmart greeter could draw up better schemes.

Good riddance to him.
That works both ways - you dislike so many UofL coaches (Todd & Tony Grantham, Klenakis, Galloway, Petrino, jr.) so many players (entire OL, Quick, Wiggins, JHC, most of the DL, Washington, everyone on special teams) - not to mention all of those that you think should have their schollys pulled on the basketball team - why don't you become a 'fan' of another program?

I won't support MSU but, I hope that Grantham is successful there because it's the non-douche-y, un-beaslie like thing to do.

That is anecdotal, and outside of Bud Foster at Va Tech or the staff under Joe Paterno (please refrain from the low hanging joke) Grantham's job hops wouldn't be unusual for any assistant or coordinator. Heck, Jeremy Pruitt was at Alabama one year, with you guys for two, with Florida State for one then back to Alabama when Kirby Smart was hired at Georgia.

DCs in college football seem to have a three to four year shelf life at the truly upper echelons.

That works both ways - you dislike so many UofL coaches (Todd & Tony Grantham, Klenakis, Galloway, Petrino, jr.) so many players (entire OL, Quick, Wiggins, JHC, most of the DL, Washington, everyone on special teams) - not to mention all of those that you think should have their schollys pulled on the basketball team - why don't you become a 'fan' of another program?

I won't support MSU but, I hope that Grantham is successful there because it's the non-douche-y, un-beaslie like thing to do.
Klenakis, because the line is not playing in an acceptable way.
Tony grantham because our special teams hurt us more than help.

Todd grantham because our defense cant tackle.

The rest are names you added.

You dont like me. I get that, my posts are about the teams performance or lack thereof....
All you do is sit on your high hirse and attack posters not happy with the play.

I am happy Petrino agreed with me and sent the defensive guy packing.

Insult me as much as you wish.

The team got better sending grantham down the road.

Happy days ahead because maybe we will tackle teams now.

That is anecdotal, and outside of Bud Foster at Va Tech or the staff under Joe Paterno (please refrain from the low hanging joke) Grantham's job hops wouldn't be unusual for any assistant or coordinator. Heck, Jeremy Pruitt was at Alabama one year, with you guys for two, with Florida State for one then back to Alabama when Kirby Smart was hired at Georgia.

DCs in college football seem to have a three to four year shelf life at the truly upper echelons.
True but a good number of those guys leave for Head coaching gigs. Never so with Grantham.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT