ADVERTISEMENT

The reaction to Wakeyleaks from the coaching community- "what's the big deal?"

Pretty much what many people are saying here. A few coaches out of the business being honest with nothing to lose by sharing their honesty.

Media likes a spicy story. They pull readers this way.

Former Louisville sports anchor, and current Bleacher Report Reporter/Anchor, Adam Lefkoe addressed this yesterday on the Afternoon Underdogs. He had some really interesting takes on the "Wakey Leaks" controversy. He spoke at length about it, but the two Tweets below pretty much sum up his feelings on the topic.

If they paid for the plays...bad. If they planted the mole...bad. If they were just given the playbook...yeah, I'm gonna take a peek.

I wouldn't apologize one bit if I were Louisville. Wake Forest, you got a problem, you fix it. I'm trying to win games.

what irritates me regarding this whole issue was referred to in this article...which is now coaches have even more reason to be paranoid about access...which translates to less information to share to fans about practice or player info (which is pretty scarce as it is)...for this fan, spring and summer is spent trying to get any information I can on the upcoming season...now the pre season is going feel even longer (which I didn't think was possible)

Unfortunately the national media doesn't take Lefkoes take at least on the air. They like news more than the truth. They made this about UL not WF and how stupid it was to allow Elrod complete access. But in WF defense who would expect a former player to betray his own program.

Reactions: Cue Card

Friend of mine that coached in the NFL for over a decade said that because of the effort the pros put into finding opponent's plays, playbooks, etc. a coach that would not take advantage a similar situation would likely be reprimanded for NOT doing so. He also thinks Elrod was doing this stuff with hopes of being offered a job should any of the assistants he communicated to became head coaches in the near future.

Reactions: American Male
Unfortunately the national media doesn't take Lefkoes take at least on the air. They like news more than the truth. They made this about UL not WF and how stupid it was to allow Elrod complete access. But in WF defense who would expect a former player to betray his own program.
Lefkoes take doesn't generate viewers, clicks or sell ad space. Revenue > Reason in that world.

This has been a bizarre story from the start. A dude who worked for WF and is a former player gives WF football plays to opponents of the team he works and used to play for. Why? Has anyone bothered to ask the former WF employee and player why he did this? What was his end game? As it turns out, he didn't just give some plays to UofL. He gave the plays to several opponents WF played over a course of a few years. What the hell for and how come Louisville is the only football program getting crucified over this crap on the national sports sites?

Screw em all.

what irritates me regarding this whole issue was referred to in this article...which is now coaches have even more reason to be paranoid about access...which translates to less information to share to fans about practice or player info (which is pretty scarce as it is)...for this fan, spring and summer is spent trying to get any information I can on the upcoming season...now the pre season is going feel even longer (which I didn't think was possible)

Just like the federal govt. and military we are entitled to nothing.

There is a lot to this story that doesn't make sense, and a lot still unknown. For instance, it is pretty unbelievable that Louisville left their game plans laying on the side line before the Wake walk through. Assuming that is true, though, how is it proper for the Wake coaches to study those plans, to the extent that they concluded that they had a leak, without notifying Louisville. They had a tremendous advantage, which helps explain the close game for three quarters, and their actions are highly questionable. If the story about how they "found" the game plans isn't true, then their actions could be far worse than merely unethical and unsportsmanlike. There is still a lot unknown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT