ADVERTISEMENT

The Grain of Salt for what it's worth

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
we out shot them from the field, out shot them from the 3 point line, out shot them from the FT line, out rebounded them, out offensive rebounded them, had more blocks, had more steals, had more assists than them, and didn't commit more fouls than them. just saying, it's a start, lol

All true but should be expected when you're playing a team like Coppin State. The team struggled to get to 61 points. The final margin was 20 but felt like it was much closer than that. Defensively, the Cards gave up several wide-open shots/3s.

There were times in the 2nd half when they moved the ball well and got some really good looks and made them. If they could ever do it consistently while playing solid defense, they could be a quality team. This team is not void of talent.

scoring 61 points against that team is atrocious. Kenny had no game plan for attacking that zone.

Honestly, I don’t understand why we don’t play more zone with Evans at the center. He can’t guard 1 on 1 right now, but neither can half our team. If a team drills 10 threes over the zone and beats us, then congrats. But this team has no idea where they are suppose to be on offense or defense.

If I’m Texas, I would watch the Coppin St. game and play zone all day long, because KP had legit no plays for it. Didn’t feed the free throw line enough, nothing. I didn’t see one back door baseline attempt, nothing. He’s a HORRIFIC Xs and Os coach and good teams, like last year, will exploit that.

scoring 61 points against that team is atrocious. Kenny had no game plan for attacking that zone.

Honestly, I don’t understand why we don’t play more zone with Evans at the center. He can’t guard 1 on 1 right now, but neither can half our team. If a team drills 10 threes over the zone and beats us, then congrats. But this team has no idea where they are suppose to be on offense or defense.

If I’m Texas, I would watch the Coppin St. game and play zone all day long, because KP had legit no plays for it. Didn’t feed the free throw line enough, nothing. I didn’t see one back door baseline attempt, nothing. He’s a HORRIFIC Xs and Os coach and good teams, like last year, will exploit that.
Also 7 assist against Coppin is legit horrendous. To compare Virgnia tech had 29, Towson had 11, and mount st, Mary’s had 16…. Let that sink in on how bad KP is on coaching

One of the most amazing stats I’d ever seen was that Coppin St. was getting outrebonded by 24 rebounds per game after playing the rebounding juggernauts of Va. Tech, Towson State and Mt. St. Mary’s. Not they have come away with 24 less rebounds overall in those 3 games, but the they were manhandled by 24 rebounds per game.

They legit may have been the worse D1 team we’ve ever played.

Reactions: uoflcardsfan

I agree and think the Cards will see more zones. KP was not prepared for the zone and you could tell the team did not know how best to handle it, especially in the 1st half.

I think KP should play or mix in more zones as well, especially with their length. It makes no sense to extend your man-to-man half-court defense when your team plays defense as poorly as they do. Makes it worse picking up/defending guys near half-court.

Doesn't make sense to extend your half-court defense out too far from the 3-point line picking up guys so far from the basket unless the scouting report says, Player A has range. The Cards are getting beat off the dribble with poor lateral movement, no/poor help defense and poor defensive rotations. You can still pressure the ball and not necessarily pack in the defense to defend the 3 if played correctly.

The Texas game could be brutal.

I agree and think the Cards will see more zones. KP was not prepared for the zone and you could tell the team did not know how best to handle it, especially in the 1st half.

I think KP should play or mix in more zones as well, especially with their length. It makes no sense to extend your man-to-man half-court defense when your team plays defense as poorly as they do. Makes it worse picking up/defending guys near half-court.

Doesn't make sense to extend your half-court defense out too far from the 3-point line picking up guys so far from the basket unless the scouting report says, Player A has range. The Cards are getting beat off the dribble with poor lateral movement, no/poor help defense and poor defensive rotations. You can still pressure the ball and not necessarily pack in the defense to defend the 3 if played correctly.

The Texas game could be brutal.
I agree, like why not play zone a little bit? We lose our man in man to man defense and they get an open 3 regardless… so why not play zone with our lengthy players and jam up the middle? But that would take an actual coach to make a change like that, so I doubt we see it.

Reactions: shadow force
we out shot them from the field, out shot them from the 3 point line, out shot them from the FT line, out rebounded them, out offensive rebounded them, had more blocks, had more steals, had more assists than them, and didn't commit more fouls than them. just saying, it's a start, lol
WOW...All that against the 360th ranked team in D-1.. We are Louisville ! We are supposed to rock teams like this with one arm behind our back.. I think Glassman is a KPain burner account..

Lady Cards showed tonight what a Louisville team does to one of the worst teams in division 1.

Watching them tonight, it was so clear how much more better coached they are than the men. I remember years ago when Coach Walz supposedly was getting pointers on the full court press from Rick Pitino. Those were the good days.

Today it's the keystone cops brand of basketball and everyone is so annoyed there's barely any fans in the building. One would think the AD would realize this is a protest from the fans.

People aren't going to come back until the team looks like it's a coached team. We understand getting back to where we belong may take a couple seasons, but it's going to take a real head coach.

This is not rocket science.

Reactions: uoflcardsfan
WOW...All that against the 360th ranked team in D-1.. We are Louisville ! We are supposed to rock teams like this with one arm behind our back.. I think Glassman is a KPain burner account..
yup, it's a burner acct, lol. baby steps, small victories, finding an ounce of good in a pile of shit, just trying to give the kids some credit. not the coaching, but the players. the kids deserve a ton of credit if KP's coaching is actually this bad

yup, it's a burner acct, lol. baby steps, small victories, finding an ounce of good in a pile of shit, just trying to give the kids some credit. not the coaching, but the players. the kids deserve a ton of credit if KP's coaching is actually this bad
Glassman you’ve been around here way longer than K-Payne’s tenure. Real ones know.

• Haha
Reactions: glassmanJ

Because a bad coach tries to mold his team to play the style he envisions. A good coach adjusts his style to the strengths and weaknesses of the players he actually has.

Fans like these, huh Gary?
Yep…I would have lost that one. But…tell me, with a straight face, that you actually saw this game as close. If you do, then you’re lying and if you claim you saw it this way, I love to see where you posted that.

Yep…I would have lost that one. But…tell me, with a straight face, that you actually saw this game as close. If you do, then you’re lying and if you claim you saw it this way, I love to see where you posted that.
I guess impossible for fans like you to not understand that this team has talent and that building a young team up to the level they showed today takes time. It’s much easier to join the Fire Payne circle jerk club I guess lol.

And yes, I thought we would give this Texas team a run for their money and if not for a lucky but good shot, they would have won.

Onward and upward Cards!

I guess impossible for fans like you to not understand that this team has talent and that building a young team up to the level they showed today takes time. It’s much easier to join the Fire Payne circle jerk club I guess lol.

And yes, I thought we would give this Texas team a run for their money and if not for a lucky but good shot, they would have won.

Onward and upward Cards!
I certainly respect you as a poster here and the vast majority of your takes. Honestly though, what “kind” of fan are you referring to? The ones who have watched enough basketball - and enough high level basketball at UofL to realize that Payne is not even close to being complete enough of a coach to be in charge of a program like Louisville?

They played hard today against a decent team in a good atmosphere. Great. They still lost - and if as a fan base and program we are now about moral victories - then wow, we’ve fallen pretty far.

Of all of the major college sports, basketball is the easiest to turn around - provided you know what you’re doing and you surround yourself with helpful assistants. If Payne can’t get players to buy into what he’s espousing regarding culture - that says far more about his leadership capabilities (or lack thereof) than anything else.

He still has the opportunity to correct things but that window is closing rapidly. I’m the “kind” of fan that would like to see him do that but, simply have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that he can.

Reactions: Cap'n Jim

Onward and upward Cards!
Yep…fans like me. A CARD fan since 1968. UL grad married to a UL grad with two UL grad kids. A fan who live and dies with Cards football and who, until last year, did the same with MBB. A fan who can look at a 4-28 season and two losses this year to far inferior programs and is openly disappointed in what he has seen the last 14 months. Sorry if that doesn’t do it for you. I didn’t know I’d have to prove my fandom to you or anyone else. So, maybe “fans like you” should put that uppity judgement away and just try to realize that a fan is someone who wants the best for their program, even if they don’t have an ounce of faith in the current coach.

Oh and yeah…you thought we would give Texas a run for their money. Show me where you posted this!

Reactions: Cap'n Jim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT