ADVERTISEMENT

The Difference was at Quarterback.

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
First off, Georgia is a great team. How they lost to South Carolina and Florida is beyond me. They kicked Missouri's butt 34-0 and Missouri made the SEC Championship game. They kicked Auburn's butt 34-7. They are a Top 5 team in terms of talent. What Georgia Tech did was their Triple Option controlled the tempo and shortened the game and they were able to match Georgia.

So anyway, even though Louisville lost I don't think the problem was defensively. You're not going to completely stop Georgia. They're too good offensively. They are averaging 42 points per game. Louisville held them below their average.

Louisville's problem was a Quarterback. Playing your third stringer is a tough thing. But your receivers (especially Parker) were getting open and the quarterback couldn't throw the ball accurately. In some cases the receivers were Wide Open and the Quarterback couldn't throw it accurately to get them the ball.

The Defense can't be on the field the whole time. The offense has to generate first downs and match points and they couldn't do that.

So moving forward, Bobby needs to figure out what to do at Quarterback. I like Will Gardner. I don't think Bonafon or Bolin are the answer. I just don't think those guys can play at this level. Gardner I believe can. And I think Lamar Jackson is going to be a stud but he will just be a True Freshman.

I agree Schmidty, we do ha a transfer (Tyler Ferguson) who is supposedly going to be the front runner for the QB position next season. The D held up all season, the offense is what cost us all four losses.

I agree. Bobby Petrino is an offensive genius but you still have to have a Quarterback to make it work. And Charlie Strong didn't leave him much talent at the Quarterback position. Look at Bobby's Offenses at Arkansas when he had Ryan Mallet and Tyler Wilson at QB or look at his offenses at Louisville in his first tenure when he had Brian Brohm.

So Bobby will find a QB that can execute what he wants to do. But it was a little too late to do that in his first year. But building a program takes time and there is no doubt Bobby will keep your program on an upward trajectory.

That's basically it in a nutshell. The offense was limited. Georgia's D is good but Bolin missied a lot of throws and a lot of open receivers. Chubb is good of course but, the D made solid tackles and stops on the runs as well. It's just when the D is on the field as long as we were there are bound to be lazy tackles and big runs with that big front piling down on you the whole game.

Originally posted by SchmidtyNole:
First off, Georgia is a great team. How they lost to South Carolina and Florida is beyond me. They kicked Missouri's butt 34-0 and Missouri made the SEC Championship game. They kicked Auburn's butt 34-7. They are a Top 5 team in terms of talent. What Georgia Tech did was their Triple Option controlled the tempo and shortened the game and they were able to match Georgia.

So anyway, even though Louisville lost I don't think the problem was defensively. You're not going to completely stop Georgia. They're too good offensively. They are averaging 42 points per game. Louisville held them below their average.

Louisville's problem was a Quarterback. Playing your third stringer is a tough thing. But your receivers (especially Parker) were getting open and the quarterback couldn't throw the ball accurately. In some cases the receivers were Wide Open and the Quarterback couldn't throw it accurately to get them the ball.

The Defense can't be on the field the whole time. The offense has to generate first downs and match points and they couldn't do that.

So moving forward, Bobby needs to figure out what to do at Quarterback. I like Will Gardner. I don't think Bonafon or Bolin are the answer. I just don't think those guys can play at this level. Gardner I believe can. And I think Lamar Jackson is going to be a stud but he will just be a True Freshman.
This is a really good take, IMO. It's difficult for any defense to be dominating all game when they're not getting many extended breaks courtesy of their offense.

I would not be so quick to dismiss Bolin. First, he got us a win over LPT and that was big. Second, he was playing a big game (but for pride only) against a top notch opponent. He had only one game to mature. How good was Georgia's backup when he wasn't handing off to super running backs behind a great offensive line?
I think KB is more likely to survive as QB than RB who may need to be moved to receiver to make up for the many receivers we are losing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT