ADVERTISEMENT

The current football problems

It's not close to that, I was surprised by how many freshmen & sophomores we are playing. If we can make steady improvement and start winning some games this could be a really strong contender next year. My concern is how did we get in this shape in Bobby's 5th year?

It's not close to that, I was surprised by how many freshmen & sophomores we are playing. If we can make steady improvement and start winning some games this could be a really strong contender next year. My concern is how did we get in this shape in Bobby's 5th year?
That is my main concern as well. How did that happen? Every player on this roster was recruited by Petrino and his coaching staff. If there is a lack of talent or depth or both, that is his fault.

Reactions: EKYCard643
By recruiting like Ron and Steve.

My concern is how did we get in this shape in Bobby's 5th year?
Because he's NEVER had a 5th year. Anywhere.

I don't think he could wrap his mind around "I, ME, NOBODY ELSE, is going to have to get players and plans for this year...." It's why it's taken him so long to pick up the recruiting.

He made his rep on O.P.P. Other Peoples Players, with a very few GREAT recruits of his own (Brohm, Bush, Lamar)

Now it's ALL on him and he's struggling. As said, we DO have a lot of good, young talent.

We'll be the first to know how it works out. ;)

Reactions: wilkie01
Because he's NEVER had a 5th year. Anywhere.

I don't think he could wrap his mind around "I, ME, NOBODY ELSE, is going to have to get players and plans for this year...." It's why it's taken him so long to pick up the recruiting.

He made his rep on O.P.P. Other Peoples Players, with a very few GREAT recruits of his own (Brohm, Bush, Lamar)

Now it's ALL on him and he's struggling. As said, we DO have a lot of good, young talent.

We'll be the first to know how it works out. ;)

And right now is failing. Tell me what you think after Georgia Tech.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
That is my main concern as well. How did that happen? Every player on this roster was recruited by Petrino and his coaching staff. If there is a lack of talent or depth or both, that is his fault.

A couple of reasons I can think of, and both clearly Coach Petrino's "fault": #1 is that Petrino's reputation after the Arkansas and Atlanta debacles certainly did not help him in recruiting top talent, and #2 we over-relied on recruiting impact grad, 4-year and junior college transfers, partly as a result of #1.

But the other reason for the over-reliance on transfers was that we were trying to win an ACC title in Lamar's second or third year, and we nearly did that in 2016, and had another reasonable chance at it in 2017 if we had not lost Jaire Alexander for most of the year.

The baggage from #1 will never completely go away, but you have to think that it will improve the longer we are removed from it. And the sparkling new facilities should also help immensely in recruiting top talent to the program.

I have a huge problem with all the local talent suddenly going to Lexington.

This is one of the rare times in the state where we have some actual talent and all the top in state talent is either going to another school or going to UK. Aiden Robbins is the only decent D1 player we have committed from the state right now.

And 4 of the top 10 in state kids that are still uncommitted are from Louisville and still projected to go to UK.

And right now is failing. Tell me what you think after Georgia Tech.

In fairness, Ga. Tech can potentially make any coach look bad. Their ball control, run offense can send that game plan into the trash bin.

Given it takes a very disciplined team that adhere to thier individual assignments to beat a triple option team. I have not seen such discipline from this team . Have you.

Given it takes a very disciplined team that adhere to thier individual assignments to beat a triple option team. I have not seen such discipline from this team . Have you.
Actually the defense is playing much better as a unit this year. Discipline hasn't been the problem. It's the inexperience that is the issue.

Reactions: Mayoman
In fairness, Ga. Tech can potentially make any coach look bad. Their ball control, run offense can send that game plan into the trash bin.

True X.
I believe most Cards fans chalked this up as a loss when the schedule came out , due to the wishbone and having 5 days to prepare for it. Reportedly Petrino has been preparing weekly for GT. Thats good coaching.

However, losing a game you had won, now puts this game in the must win category.

I dont see the Cards winning. Hope im wrong.

I dont think so, HWSNBN was a loser who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Bobby's problem is he has too many relatives on staff. Sorry but Nick Petrino is not a qb coach.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT