ADVERTISEMENT

The Assistant Coaches

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Well - it was not a real tough act to follow - some of the previous guys down the staff set the bar pretty low!

That said, I'm wondering the impact of Trent Johnson and Greg Paulus?

Seems like Paulus is a fiery type and Trent is just a calm relaxed dude during games.

Reactions: Cue Card and zipp
I had the same thought when the camera panned the Cards bench during the game.

Not too much happening that Johnson hasn't seen 1000's of times before....and Paulus is auditioning for future jobs if CDP is not retained. Fire and Ice these two.

Would like to see them in the locker room and at practices to get a better feel for them. Also, wonder what kind of recruiters they are or will be going forward.

I'll try to remember to ask DP that question Thursday nite on his radio show. Good one!...

It’s not the coaches that are holding our recruiting back, it’s waiting on the NCAA’s findings that’s hurting us.
And the fact that no one knows who the coach is going to be until the interim tag is removed:D:D:D. Or until we decide to part ways. I’ve just been very impressed with Padgett’s ability to get these guys ready for the toughest stretch of the season: ACC play. At the very least we know that one of 2 things will happen. Padgett moves on to his first official head coaching gig. Or he will be coaching Louisville for the next few years. He’s done too well to stay on as an assistant.

I think Pitino used to break down the conference play into sections.

Cards are through the first part and are sitting in a position few thought they'd be in at 4-1.

The next key for DP and staff is to not give any back, and hold the position by winning the home games they "should win" over the next part of the schedule.

Then the final stretch of the schedule, which is kind of brutal.

Edit 4-1 not 3-1!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
I think Pitino used to break down the conference play into sections.

Cards are through the first part and are sitting in a position few thought they'd be in at 4-1.

The next key for DP and staff is to not give any back, and hold the position by winning the home games they "should win" over the next part of the schedule.

Then the final stretch of the schedule, which is kind of brutal.

Edit 4-1 not 3-1!
There was a point in one of the OT's last night, David was in very animated talk with Trent. They both nodded when it was over, looking quire satisfied. I trust my people reading enough to know David respects Trent. He should be the perfect foil to bounce ideas off of. Trent Johnson built programs - that was his role. That is the toughest gig in basketball.

Paulus, meanwhile, is an earnest, hard-working type who seems to also have the player's confidence. On the level of mega-analysis, whatever he may offer could be during scouting reports or pregame or post game analyses. I like both of them just fine.

having never been a coach at any level, I wonder if their job is possibly a little less stressful given that they aren't highly involved with recruiting (that's an assumption on my part, just can't imagine a lot of potential given the current climate...but also not sure how much recruiting is being done this time of year)

it's always been my assumption that the recruiting was the majority of the work, or at least half, and that it was a year round job...if they don't have to worry about making visits while on the road, just concentrate on the game and current players; the burden is eased substantially...I'd think.

It’s not the coaches that are holding our recruiting back, it’s waiting on the NCAA’s findings that’s hurting us.
What is killing recruiting is what CDP said is killing it, he only has a one year contract and no one wants to go somewhere that they don't know who the coach is going to be next year. The NCAA potential trouble down the road may be a deterrent but not the main one.

What is killing recruiting is what CDP said is killing it, he only has a one year contract and no one wants to go somewhere that they don't know who the coach is going to be next year. The NCAA potential trouble down the road may be a deterrent but not the main one.
Knowing CDP, he wasn’t bellyaching about a one year contract. He knew when he signed on that he was the interim. Understanding that, you don’t focus on four years or even two years down the line. It’s out of his control to a degree and he knows it.

Look, when my son wanted to play college baseball, sure we obviously met and talked with the coaches, but ultimately your final decision on where to go shouldn’t be based solely on them. College coaches are like gypsies. They come and go. I know this sounds corny but you have to find a place where you know you’ll get a great education and where you want to be for 4 years. But most college athletes, especially football and Basketball, only think about playing professionally. The asst coach who recruited my son left after 1 season to take a better asst coaching job. My son didn’t follow because he established a relationship with his teammates and more importantly he liked the school.

Reactions: BPGhost
Yeah, I don't recall DP complaining about his contract. He may have commented on the U of L situation generally...

No offense to DP but, no player is signing to come Louisville to play for him at this point - one year deal or not. Those recruits would be coming to play at a historically top 10 program, with playing time to offer and play in the best basketball conference in the country. There simply isn’t enough career had by him yet for kids to want to go anywhere because of him. Again, not a knock on him - simply fact.

I think our situation where everyone is interim is hurting us, why is the President and Athletic Director still interim? I can understand CDP being interim because this is his audition and you're not going to get a top coach to leave their current team in the middle of the season.

I don't understand us not having a President and AD in place by now and I don't like the interim President or AD we have in position now. I think they are to connected to people who don't have our best interest in mind.

My concern about Padgett is recruiting, right now he is doing good with Pitino's players but can he sustain success with his players. The guy at UConn did great when Jim Calhoun left because he had Calhoun's players. If you look at UConn today they are a mess.

Reactions: Fanofjurich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT