ADVERTISEMENT

TEXAS A&M

So Sagarin is your bible? UCLA is 3-6 and common sense would dictate they are not a top 30 team. I guess if they finish the season 4-8 you will still include them as a quality win for A&M? The lengths you go to make argument are ridiculous.

So citing a neutral third party analysis is now "lengths". Others might call is "sourcing". But, I'll tell you what. We'll agree Sagarin is an SEC homer or something. How about ESPN? Their FPI also has UCLA at #29 (and Ole Miss at #14). http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Or is that going just too far for you?

CardLaw you have used the excuse of injured players changing the outcome of a game several times in this thread. Maybe you should read your post regarding UL's 43 point defeat of FSU and you explained the outcome because of FSU's injuries.

Reactions: Red Rager
So citing a neutral third party analysis is now "lengths". Others might call is "sourcing". But, I'll tell you what. We'll agree Sagarin is an SEC homer or something. How about ESPN? Their FPI also has UCLA at #29 (and Ole Miss at #14). http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Or is that going just too far for you?
Have you ever disagreed with the pundits? The experts? Or do you always agree with them? I don't care where Sagarin has UCLA to know they're not a team to count as a quality win. They're not Ole Miss, the best losing record team of all time. UCLA to anyone using logic and their own eyes can see they're not a top 30 team.

Reactions: American Male
CardLaw you have used the excuse of injured players changing the outcome of a game several times in this thread. Maybe you should read your post regarding UL's 43 point defeat of FSU and you explained the outcome because of FSU's injuries.

No, I didn't. I didn't see the damn game. I have zero opinion about the game. I don't care about the game. What I said, in response to EasyCard's post about that one win was:

"I don't know FSU's personnel that well, but my understanding is they played that game with not only their star safety out, but there were three or four other defensive starters missing or hobbled. I just heard Heather Denetch mention that last week.

It has been my understanding for all three years that the committee takes injuries (then and now) into account when evaluating teams and individual games.
"

An ESPN reporter stated that on Valvano's show a week ago in the context of how that game might be evaluated. I relayed that info and my understanding that, if true - and I have no earthly idea whether it is or not and do not give a rat's ass if it is or not - the committee would diminish the value of UL's win.

THAT'S IT! This is not rocket science.

Have you ever disagreed with the pundits? The experts? Or do you always agree with them? I don't care where Sagarin has UCLA to know they're not a team to count as a quality win. They're not Ole Miss, the best losing record team of all time. UCLA to anyone using logic and their own eyes can see they're not a top 30 team.

Let's try to make this easy for you ... the A&M win over UCLA is not evaluated as if it were played November 4th. It is evaluated as if it were played September 3rd. That is kind of convenient since it was played on September 3rd.

On September 3rd, UCLA was lead by QB Josh Rosen. You have probably never heard of him, but he is pretty good. About a month ago now, Rosen went down with an injury that likely means the season for him. Since then, they have lost by 3 at Arizona State, 6 at Washington State, 7 at home to Utah and then last night by 10 at Colorado. They are not exactly getting blown out by cream puffs at home. Anyone using logic and their own eyes can see that on September 3rd they were pretty good and even today it is a good team but without its QB during a tough stretch of its schedule.

Let's try to make this easy for you ... the A&M win over UCLA is not evaluated as if it were played November 4th. It is evaluated as if it were played September 3rd. That is kind of convenient since it was played on September 3rd.

On September 3rd, UCLA was lead by QB Josh Rosen. You have probably never heard of him, but he is pretty good. About a month ago now, Rosen went down with an injury that likely means the season for him. Since then, they have lost by 3 at Arizona State, 6 at Washington State, 7 at home to Utah and then last night by 10 at Colorado. They are not exactly getting blown out by cream puffs at home. Anyone using logic and their own eyes can see that on September 3rd they were pretty good and even today it is a good team but without its QB during a tough stretch of its schedule.
I know who Rosen is and I know Joey Galloway picked UCLA for the playoff in August. You see, the Bruins were supposed to be good and now that they're not, there's got to be some excuse. Do teams like Texas get this same treatment for beating a top 10 Notre Dame? I mean the Irish were ranked then. What about Michigan state? Does Michigan's win over State count as a quality win to you or do you need to check Sagarin first?

I know who Rosen is and I know Joey Galloway picked UCLA for the playoff in August. You see, the Bruins were supposed to be good and now that they're not, there's got to be some excuse. Do teams like Texas get this same treatment for beating a top 10 Notre Dame? I mean the Irish were ranked then. What about Michigan state? Does Michigan's win over State count as a quality win to you or do you need to check Sagarin first?

The evaluation has nothing to do with the AP or Coaches' rankings.

Card Law did you state any team that didn't make their conference championship would not be part of the playoff? It's an argument many have made against Louisville's chances. I realize there are also other things working against Louisville too.

But I believe you applied that logic to all teams, including Alabama if they were to miss their conference game title. No title game, no playoff. Do you still see it that way if that was your position previously? Or, are you softening that stance? Or do I have you confused with another poster. Sorry, if the latter is the case.

CardLaw I'm sorry I thought you were the one that came to this thread and posted that FSU had multiple injuries when they played us. I did not know Heather Denetch posted an injury report on this thread. Heather let be the first to welcome you to our site.

Reactions: Red Rager
Card Law did you state any team that didn't make their conference championship would not be part of the playoff? It's an argument many have made against Louisville's chances. I realize there are also other things working against Louisville too.

But I believe you applied that logic to all teams, including Alabama if they were to miss their conference game title. No title game, no playoff. Do you still see it that way if that was your position previously? Or, are you softening that stance? Or do I have you confused with another poster. Sorry, if the latter is the case.

My view is if there are four 0 - 1 loss conference champs among the power 5, they will be in and everyone else left out. Texas A&M being in the fourth spot right now does not bother me because, as of right now, there are no conference champions. In my view, if A&M and UW both win out and UW wins the Pac 12 championship game, UW will move into that 4th slot.

The odds of November being that clean are slim, though.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
For the SEC HOMERS, Texas A&M has one quality win in the SEC over Auburn and zero quality out of conference wins. They do not deserve to be ranked 4th. They beat UCLA that has a losing record. The final score against Alabama was 33-14, which means they are not competitive with the best of the best.
Late to get into his one as I do not like to fret over a horse race at the 3/8s pole but here goes..............

I was disappointed to see the Cards at #7 instead of #6 or higher. Close games versus Duke and UVA took a lot of the luster off our early season performance in the eyes of the committee IMO. I disagree with OSU at #6 but feel it is more a legacy pick by the committee. The remaining Big Ten schedule (not just Michigan game) will determine their fate.

I don't have much argument at #4 or #5. I am not as familiar with UW as I would like and am not completely sold on them. I thought the Aggies got lucky against UT, but a win is a win. Their lone loss to Bama is a quality loss. At Tuscaloosa, came back to take the lead in the 3rd quarter and were leading midway in the quarter. Easiest path for the rest of the way, but LSU lurks for them.

Clemson and UM at #2 and #3 are my choices. Clemson has not looked outstanding at times, but we know what they at capable of doing. Besides, they have a clear path ahead of them. Who has Michigan beat besides Wisconsin? I say that as a Michigan fan. They pass my eyeball test, but they still have OSU and a Big Ten championship game as huge tests.

Bama at #1, who can argue? At LSU and vs. Auburn are tests. We had best hope Bama wins out, as a one loss non-champion Tide is not going to be excluded from the playoffs. And a two loss Tide won't happen this year until the playoffs, if then.

The Cards need to win and be impressive doing it. It doesn't have to be 40 point blowouts every week, though it wouldn't hurt, and be in control throughout the game. I can't say who or when, but three of the four teams ahead of us will lose between now and the end of the season IMHO. We need to look good enough to move past them when they lose and not get passed from behind.

As we used to say when the 7, 8 and 9 were the only balls left, "The game is on the table." Does anybody still play 9 Ball?

Nobody needs to worry about any team outside the top 10 passing up the cards unless the cards lose!!! Either one of Nebraska or Ohio State will be eliminated after tomorrow...Texas A&M could lose tomorrow as well, or the last game against LSU...Either loss eliminates them...Three of their last four games will hurt their SOS...LSU has at least a third loss coming, so does Florida, so that eliminates them!!!

Auburn still plays at Alabama and Georgia, so they have a third loss coming...Wisconsin is at a good Northwestern tomorrow, and still play Minnesota and either Michigan or Ohio State in the BIG CCG...So they have a third loss coming...So, that eliminates both of them!!!

Louisville needs Bucky to win out till they play Michigan, and Washington to lose to either California, USC or Washington State, and then again in the PAC CCG...That eliminates everyone else in the top 10 that could keep Louisville out of the playoffs...If Bucky beats Michigan, and Washington loses, the BIG will get two teams in the playoffs!!!

:cool:

Last edited:
Gotcha Card Law, I couldn't recall the specifics. I think you make a salient point.

A scenario no one is talking about (that I have seen, anyway) but is very possible and interesting is this: Washington State wins out meaning they beat Washington in the Apple Cup. That guarantees the PAC 12 will have a two-loss champion. Added to that, Oklahoma wins out making them champs of the Big 12 with two losses and they close out the season with a nine game winning streak.

I'm not sure if a one loss non-champion gets in over Oklahoma. Maybe. Maybe not.

Also, you have to differentiate between a one loss team that played in its conference championship versus one who did not. So, Alabama, Clemson or Michigan going undefeated, but losing the title game is different from a Louisville, Texas A&M or Michigan going 11-1 and missing out on their league title game.

I have no idea what might happen there. It is certainly uncharted territory.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card

You were saying?

And MSU didn't get the memo that they were playing the #4 mis rated team by the CPO committee.....so they didn't lay down for them. Now they are what 4-5 on the year?. Way to go A&M....proved your meddle today.:D

Oh wait....at the half....UF might follow their lead as also being overrated too.....30 minutes to go to find out that too.

The SEC is a flat out joke. Even the studs tonight (Bama and LSU) can't score for three quarters! Are you kidding me!

Well thank God Bama didn't have to face a "real" defense like Boston College or Louisville. LOL

Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Clemson have real defenses...it QB play especially at LSU. Their QB play is awful-(Purdue reject) and Hurts is extremely inconsistent in the pocket. Also FTR both Louisville and BC are nationally in the Top 12 in Total Defense with Michigan being #1.

Don't get me started on the rest of the QB play in that league...lol

I'd say more like seven or eight. Everyone in the West is legitimate except Mississippi State. Ole Miss doesn't have a great record, obviously, but they are legit. They certainly are not losing to cream puffs. In the East Florida is legit (even if their offense does stink). Tennessee is a bit of a question mark now. They were fine until last Saturday. Now it appears they may implode. We'll see. A week ago I thought they would win out. Now I am not sure they beat UK.
Ole Miss had a hard time with Georgia Southern LOL. Legit? no.

Well thank God Bama didn't have to face a "real" defense like Boston College or Louisville. LOL
The real question is.... why the hell do you post here? You are on your knees constantly lapping up Alabama, do they have a board ? Really, why do you even post here ? Do you have a Nick saban poster on the ceiling above your bed ?

I will give you BC. They are overrated on defense this season for sure. The real teams they have played all have scored over 45 points. (VA Tech, Clemson, UofL)

But you shouldn't put them with Louisville as a defense. The Cards are not Alabama on defense but they are a legit top 10 defense with several guys who are going to play on Sundays. There is now depth with guys who are redshirt freshmen and sophomores who are waiting their turn to star.

Right now, Louisville is on the verge of becoming that next program to obtain 'Big Boy" status in football. With recruiting exploding and dynamic players shining, this is just the start. Only Clemson, FSU and the Cards have had winning records in the ACC each of the last three seasons. If Lamar wins the Heisman and the Cards play in the best non playoff bowl and win, a pre-season top 5 will be in the Cards for 2017.

Unlike the past, the program isn't a stepping stone. Coach Petrino is here to stay. This is a school that just had Teddy Bridgewater followed by Lamar Jackson and has Juwan Pass redshirting awaiting his turn. And there's traditional powers like LSU, Auburn, Florida, and USC who can't find a top QB.

No way Louisville would be held to 10 points by any defense, including Alabama's.

Yeah the Louisville comment about it defense is silly...the NFL scouts would disagree with Card Law....Brown, JHC, Fields and Kelsey will be earning NFL paychecks next season and Jaire Alexander is a Semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award as a True Sophomore

Last edited:
Simply put they were a PRETENDER.

The computer numbers place TAMU and UL pretty much together. UL ranks 3rd in ESPN's power index whereas TAMU sits at 10th. UL ranks 7th in Strength of Record at 92.9 (meaning only 7.1% of all other teams would have an equivalent record against UL's schedule to date) whereas TAMU ranks 8th at 92.7.

Sagarin has not yet updated for yesterday, but coming into the weekend he had them 7th and 9th respectively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT