ADVERTISEMENT

Sydney Helmers

I would be very surprised if U of L, among many other schools, was not recruiting her. I suspect that getting away at college had a lot to do with her decision to commit to Texas. She opted not to play her senior year at Assumption and is giving her body a chance to recoup from the concussions she has had in recent times., Good luck to her!!!

Good Luck to her as well but if she is not a Cardinal she doesn’t exist.
Jerritt Elliott has been the hed coach at Texas for 20 years and he's legendary in Volleyball circles, like a Summitt or Geno in basketball. To play on Texas' squad is quite the honor... In the 2021 season, Elliott guided Texas to its fifth-consecutive and 14th overall Big 12 Championship. The Longhorns have won or shared ten of the last 11 league championships and 13 of the previous 15. He won his 8th Big 12 Coach of the Year award in 2021.

--sonja--

The question wasn’t whether Texas was a good program or not it was how did she end up there. Louisville is one of the top programs in the country. That is why I said if she is not a Cardinal she doesn’t exist to me.

The question wasn’t whether Texas was a good program or not it was how did she end up there. Louisville is one of the top programs in the country. That is why I said if she is not a Cardinal she doesn’t exist to me.
Well, excuse me !!!

Texas Volleyball has been a powerhouse longer than Louisville and that maybe just might attract a good player like her. If she existed, of course. Lend those blinkers you got to a couple of trainers coming into Breeders Cup this fall.

--sonja--

So if I don’t support local athletes that don’t go to Louisville I am wearing blinkers. I have to disagree with you on that to me local athletes that go elsewhere they don’t exist to me because I don’t follow them once they are gone.

Well if that is the case instead of posting a question about a 2023 Texas volleyball recruit who has suddenly vanished, why not post about how the Cards are going to manage without Anna S. and Tori on the 2022 Cards' volleyball team? 😁

So I post a question about a local volleyball player and why she didn’t end up at Louisville. I was expecting to hear she has relatives in Texas, she just wanted to get away from home or Texas has been recruiting her for a long time. I didn’t expect to get a history lesson on how great the Texas volleyball program is and how far ahead of us they are.

I also didn’t expect another poster telling me what I should and shouldn’t be posting. I listened to the presser with Coach Busboom-Kelly and in the presser she answered all my questions regarding the roster and lineup and how the team was progressing and who was going to replace Dilfer and Stevenson.

Kozmas, I think, and nothing more, that you are being a bit sensitive for a poster of your pedigree. I was just amused at the length of this thread on a recruit that is only dreaming at this time of playing college ball. 'Nuf of that.

You did bring up the Coach's media day talk with Amaya and Elena. She did not answer my questions nor could I expect her to do so this early. Replacing the stats that Ana S. and Tori took with them is a prodigious task. But I was really pleased to hear her talk about Kong and Cresse. Those two along with (I believe) a really improved Tillman could well present a Cards' team with some real length at the net, good blocking, and kill potential. Perhaps that is the real answer. The battle that is going on at the setter position is very encouraging. Perhaps a new Tori will emerge from one of them. I hope that Sydni will get herself into playing shape quickly and adapt to the Card's game.

Coach Kelly did not provide, or I missed it, any discussion of Chausee, Debeer, or Jones, but it is early and that will likely come later.

Kozman only asked the same questions that I had about why Sydney would leave Louisville for Austin TX to play the sport that she loves.

This site is about information and opinions, and Kozmas is entitled to express himself just like everyone else.

Reactions: Fairdalecard
Kozman only asked the same questions that I had about why Sydney would leave Louisville for Austin TX to play the sport that she loves.

This site is about information and opinions, and Kozmas is entitled to express himself just like everyone else.
OK. I agree. Kozmas also expressed his feelings about individuals who choose schools other than Louisville. He is entitled to do just that. Others expressed their opinions of his opinion. I guess they are entitled to do that. So what else can we talk about?

I do follow Louisville high school stars that do go to other schools. It began years ago when Adrienne Johnson was phenomenal at Butler High School and then went to Ohio St. Sometimes they start at other places and end up back at Louisville (Tia Gibbs and Candyce Bingham). And sometime they start here and end up elsewhere (Lindsay Duvall and Seygan Robins).

With 15 on the 2022-23 roster, I'd wager there will be a few leave eventually. Sometimes, players just want to play.

--sonja--

The thing about a local athlete staying home is that even after they graduate they will always be a celebrity locally. Going to school in Texas, Alabama, Ohio, etc. even if you have a great college career and come home you’re not treated the same way.
Going to Texas and having a great career it would be to her advantage to stay there after she graduates. She would have a network and be recognizable to the locals. She wouldn’t have that if she returned to Louisville.

Armensmith: yes, you are definitely entitled to your opinion just as much as my own, or that of Kozmas; my post was not suggesting otherwise.

Well Charlie Strong left Louisville for Texas because of money and because it was Texas. A long history of success will do that to people.

Even odds that she discovers Austin is not home, and reappears back in Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT