ADVERTISEMENT

"student-athletes competed while ineligible from December 2010 and July 2014"

Jan 10, 2005
Not really sure what that means.

I did not see the rationale for ruling those players as ineligible. Does anybody have that info? I have not seen anyone ruled ineligible for any type of inappropriate benefits before. Only for academic misconduct and for tampering with the outcomes of games (e.g. point shaving).

This is unprecedented. I believe with a strong compelling argument, the appeal is winnable, but the bottom line is UofL tried to right this wrong and because they tried without resisting, the NCAA is now in control of their fate.

Not a good place to be.

Reactions: wilkie01
...UofL tried to right this wrong and because they tried without resisting, the NCAA is now in control of their fate...
While it's true that U of L volunteered info by cooperating, if this ends up in court--which has dramatically increased in likelihood--that same info is discoverable anyway. Which makes a discovery request served on U of L NOW almost irrelevant, i.e., nothing left to "discover".

So I don't know that I agree that there are significant consequences to how U of L has handled this. It's more an issue now of how naive U of L looks thinking it could get through this more easily by cooperating. My limited experience is that makes assumptions about the other party that better be true...

Not really sure what that means.

I did not see the rationale for ruling those players as ineligible. Does anybody have that info? I have not seen anyone ruled ineligible for any type of inappropriate benefits before. Only for academic misconduct and for tampering with the outcomes of games (e.g. point shaving).
Happens all the time. Camby at UMass, etc. In recent years, a number of recruits (e.g., Wall) have been ruled temporary ineligible for taking small amounts of money during AAU. They have been required to pay it back and sit out a few games. This is a question of amateurism. If you receive benefits that are not available to other students on the basis on your ability to play the sport in question (here, basketball), then you are no longer an amateur. Now, the NCAA has allowed individuals to "rehabilitate" their amateurism eligibility, such as the example I gave above. And that is what Louisville has argued and continues to argue in their fight again vacation of games. Their argument is that if this was discovered at the time, the players would have been able to rehabilitate and only lost a few games. But the NCAA will argue in return that (1) the "nature" of the benefits here matter (i.e., this is far worse than just cash -- this is buying sex for players/recruits, many of whom were underage), and (2) the players were ineligible the moment they took impermissible benefits and we can't just let it go on the basis that it was not discovered until after-the-fact, not to mention the problem of trying to calculate restitution for sex acts.

This is unprecedented. I believe with a strong compelling argument, the appeal is winnable, but the bottom line is UofL tried to right this wrong and because they tried without resisting, the NCAA is now in control of their fate.

Not a good place to be.

Meanwhile, UNC is untouched.

Happens all the time. Camby at UMass, etc. In recent years, a number of recruits (e.g., Wall) have been ruled temporary ineligible for taking small amounts of money during AAU. They have been required to pay it back and sit out a few games. This is a question of amateurism. If you receive benefits that are not available to other students on the basis on your ability to play the sport in question (here, basketball), then you are no longer an amateur. Now, the NCAA has allowed individuals to "rehabilitate" their amateurism eligibility, such as the example I gave above. And that is what Louisville has argued and continues to argue in their fight again vacation of games. Their argument is that if this was discovered at the time, the players would have been able to rehabilitate and only lost a few games. But the NCAA will argue in return that (1) the "nature" of the benefits here matter (i.e., this is far worse than just cash -- this is buying sex for players/recruits, many of whom were underage), and (2) the players were ineligible the moment they took impermissible benefits and we can't just let it go on the basis that it was not discovered until after-the-fact, not to mention the problem of trying to calculate restitution for sex acts.
In the examples you cite, the issue of amateur status arose because they received money for actions outside of college basketball. This looks more like an issue of improper benefits because representatives of the university are involved.

I saw no statement about the benefits being so despicable that they deserve a more severe penalty. So, basically, everything else you are writing in speculation on your part.

While it's true that U of L volunteered info by cooperating, if this ends up in court--which has dramatically increased in likelihood--that same info is discoverable anyway. Which makes a discovery request served on U of L NOW almost irrelevant, i.e., nothing left to "discover".

So I don't know that I agree that there are significant consequences to how U of L has handled this. It's more an issue now of how naive U of L looks thinking it could get through this more easily by cooperating. My limited experience is that makes assumptions about the other party that better be true...
I think we just said the same thing (or at least came to the same conclusion); just got there different ways.

The news today was a serious kick in the junk at first, but I can see the University fighting back, and with good reason. The self imposed sanctions along with Pitino getting a suspension is what most expected. With no facts to back me up, I think that's what Smrt was telling Jurich too just based off previous cases. Now that it's way more serious than that, the gloves are coming off. UofL will fight back, but the outlook appears to be bleak regarding the wins between 2010 and 2014. No way to sugarcoat it. The appeal is just the next step IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT