ADVERTISEMENT

UofL Will Appeal Only Two Of The Penalties From NCAA

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
University of Louisville leaders announced today that the school will appeal only two of the several penalties leveled against the men's basketball team by the NCAA.

After a closed-door session of the U of L board of trustees, the board unanimously endorsed interim president Greg Postel's proposal to appeal specific penalties: That the university vacate a to-be-determined number of games between December 2010 and July 2014 — which could include the 2013 NCAA basketball championship, where ineligible players played — and returning money gained from conference revenue sharing for appearances in the 2012 to 2015 NCAA championship tournament.

"This was not a knee-jerk reaction," Postel said. "There is rationale to support it, and, obviously, if someone is going to conduct an appeal, you have to have some sense that the appeal is gong to be successful."

The university has until Friday to send notice to the NCAA which penalties U of L will appeal, Postel said. The school then has 30 days to provide a detailed appeal to the NCAA after that, he said.

The NCAA announced several penalties against U of L's men's basketball team on June 15 in response to sex-scandal allegations that former director of basketball operations Andrew McGee provided improper benefits to players and recruits in the forms of striptease dances and sex acts.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...o-appeal-two-ncaa-penalties-against-mens.htmlhttp://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...o-appeal-two-ncaa-penalties-against-mens.html

The weak sisters in our fanbase need to decide whether they're in or out of the boat. It's gonna be a long journey...

Reactions: gocds and Cue Card
University of Louisville leaders announced today that the school will appeal only two of the several penalties leveled against the men's basketball team by the NCAA.

After a closed-door session of the U of L board of trustees, the board unanimously endorsed interim president Greg Postel's proposal to appeal specific penalties: That the university vacate a to-be-determined number of games between December 2010 and July 2014 — which could include the 2013 NCAA basketball championship, where ineligible players played — and returning money gained from conference revenue sharing for appearances in the 2012 to 2015 NCAA championship tournament.

"This was not a knee-jerk reaction," Postel said. "There is rationale to support it, and, obviously, if someone is going to conduct an appeal, you have to have some sense that the appeal is gong to be successful."

The university has until Friday to send notice to the NCAA which penalties U of L will appeal, Postel said. The school then has 30 days to provide a detailed appeal to the NCAA after that, he said.

The NCAA announced several penalties against U of L's men's basketball team on June 15 in response to sex-scandal allegations that former director of basketball operations Andrew McGee provided improper benefits to players and recruits in the forms of striptease dances and sex acts.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...o-appeal-two-ncaa-penalties-against-mens.htmlhttp://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...o-appeal-two-ncaa-penalties-against-mens.html

I absolutely agree with this position from the board. And number 1 has to be keeping the money. We are not giving that back. I don't think we should vacate wins either, but that is less important.

Reactions: ULarder
They can keep the money. The fans prefer to keep the title. THAT is most important.
I'm a fan. my whole life. and now a donor as well. it's more important for the school and the athletic department to keep the money. we will get more titles. and i will always count the 2013 title regardless of what the ncaa says. by the way, i do not believe we will vacate our title either.

Reactions: ULarder
They can keep the money. The fans prefer to keep the title. THAT is most important.

What may be most important to some fans, is not of primary relevance here. In fact, the desires of fans of UL’s sports teams are (and rightfully so) lowest on the totem pole of priorities. UL is a college, not a professional team. UL’s purpose is to provide education, not sports entertainment. And MONEY is what matters most to UL, because money is what the institution must have to carry out its purpose. Plain and simple.

How is UL going to make up those millions of dollars if we give that to the NCAA? Are Rick and Tom going to take a salary cut? Is the athletics budget going to be cut in other ways? Or, is UL instead going to divert money from academics to make up the difference? I think all of us that are citizens of the Commonwealth would agree that the answer to that last question better be “NO!”

So, it is the money that matters. It matters so much more than the “title” that they don’t even deserve to be mentioned together when discussing the importance of the penalties. And I hope UL fights like hell to keep that money. In fact, if the money would have to come from anywhere other than money directly generated by athletics I hope UL flat out refuses to give it no matter what happens with the Appeal. After all, what worthy purpose is the NCAA going to do with the money - money that UL needs and could use to further its academic purpose?

Last edited:
I agree with zipp. Either go all in or go home. You either support this athletic department or you don't. People have choices to make and the sooner they make them, the sooner the rest of us who side with the athletic department can get back to supporting full time. Defending the athletic department at every corner is getting really tiresome.

In or out. Ellen made her plans clear to everyone not long ago by saying she was out. I respect her for having the courage to tell everyone before she left, but I'm equally grateful she's gone. There's plenty of room for new and old fans alike. Time to choose. I'm all in.

Reactions: zipp
Simple... give them the money or even offer more money and we get to keep the title. Not even sure I care about the number of wins.

I personally hope the program fights the NCAA past the bitter end. IDC how much money it costs. The NCAA has been running roughshod over everyone in collegiate athletics for decades. It's time to give some of that treatment back to them. Screw the NCAA.

Question for our "keep the money" guys, how much money are we talking about? I've heard it could be eight figures. That would be between $10 million and $100 million. Is that OK?...

Question for our "keep the money" guys, how much money are we talking about? I've heard it could be eight figures. That would be between $10 million and $100 million. Is that OK?...
You're a money guy so let me ask you this. IF you were losing one of the wins/title or the money let's say 50 million which would you rather keep

You're a money guy so let me ask you this. IF you were losing one of the wins/title or the money let's say 50 million which would you rather keep
That one's easy... Give me the $50 million everyday.

Now, what if it was only $20 million or harder still, $10 million? Serious coin, but a title's important to some fans and fanbases...

If they win the appeal on those 2 issues than they will have to drop all penalties. All the penalties are based on the assumption that UL used ineligible players in those games that are to be forfeited and funds reimbursed. UL will have to prove the players were not ineligible in order to win the appeal. The NCAA has no choice but to vacate the wins and reclaim the money or any program could do these type of infractions and if they get busted can always say " It was worth winning a title and the $100 million we got". If the NCAA loses this case, they will be done.

If they win the appeal on those 2 issues than they will have to drop all penalties. All the penalties are based on the assumption that UL used ineligible players in those games that are to be forfeited and funds reimbursed. UL will have to prove the players were not ineligible in order to win the appeal. The NCAA has no choice but to vacate the wins and reclaim the money or any program could do these type of infractions and if they get busted can always say " It was worth winning a title and the $100 million we got". If the NCAA loses this case, they will be done.
It's not a situation where the NCAA "loses" the case. It's whether or not the penalties are judged to be too harsh so no not all penalties will be dropped but lessened, hopefully to a degree where the banner remains intact. Seems that since the impermissible "benefits" involve some amount of money for services, we just need to find out what the NCAA considers as suitable retribution, plus some type of action that will never allow this to happen again. For instance some check and balances on the future staff or persons who will be in the position of director of operations.

That one's easy... Give me the $50 million everyday.

Now, what if it was only $20 million or harder still, $10 million? Serious coin, but a title's important to some fans and fanbases...
That's why I used 50 mil. What do you think the final number will be, better yet how do you think the NCAA will determine the actual number?

That's why I used 50 mil. What do you think the final number will be, better yet how do you think the NCAA will determine the actual number?
I don't think the number matters. This won't end up as an auction for an NCAA title, at least not publicly. If there's a behind-the-scenes negotiation, you won't know what dealing is done...just the final result.

A seven-figure number is too expensive IMO. If a negotiated number is $10+ million to keep a banner, it all ends up in court. Less than that, maybe it gets settled.

"Elite program," my a$$...

The money is a real deal..... I'm estimating somewhere in the $17-$20 million range: 1 natty, 1 FF, 2 sweet 16s

Plenty of $$$ on the table to fund lawyers. .... in fact, if it were not for the $$$, it's likely UL would choose to roll over. Always watch the money, and you'll better predict the actions of large organizations - outcomes may vary though

Reportedly, the number's close to $5 million. No one's confirming that, just independent calculations...

Reactions: ThroughBlue
I feel like the two go hand and hand.

If you are to conclude that they shouldn't forfeit games, why should you forfeit money from games you didn't forfeit? You can't take one without the other. So, it doesn't matter which is more important.

That said, isn't U of L always finishing near the top of the profit rankings?
If UK were in the same spot, I'd laugh at the idea of keeping the money instead of the banner.

...That said, isn't U of L always finishing near the top of the profit rankings? If UK were in the same spot, I'd laugh at the idea of keeping the money instead of the banner.
The most recent financials show LPT ahead of U of L in terms of athletics revenues.

And of course slappies would try to keep a basketball banner regardless of price. It's what you live for.

(For perspective, it didn't take anything but a little embarrassment for you guys to disassemble your football championship trophy...)

"Elite program," my a$$...

For perspective, Kentucky won three titles with multiple players getting paid by gangsters to shave points over a four year period. Considering inflation, the amount of money was much, much higher for U.K. Those players were caught, and banned from basketball for life. The banners still hang....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT