ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game 04/16/16...My Thoughts

cards_win

800+
Apr 6, 2006
Beautiful day, I estimate a crowd of 20,000 or so.

Star of the day...surprise! Lamar Jackson! Hit some beautiful, long throws for TD's. Had over 500 yards, averaging over 20 yards a catch while playing only one second half series. Looked as elusive as seen last year when he did decide to leave the pocket. Short passing game was very accurate, liked seeing Cole Hikutini catch (5) first half passes for good gains. Charles Standsberry caught a nice TD throw. I remember one sweet reception made by L.J. Scott out of the backfield. Reggie Bonnafon was a slow starter at receiver, but ended up with (3) catches, one long catch-and-run for a TD. Quick made some nice grabs as well. Jaylen Smith also made a very long nice sliding-go-get-it TD catch. Jaire Alexander had his clock cleaned with a vicious block when trying to tackle a receiver on a long run-and catch. If anyone knows who threw that block let me know!

Speaking of the pocket; the first team O-Line was absolutely impenetrable. Jackson had at least 4 to 5 seconds all day long to find his receivers. Of course, it was 1st's vs. 2nd's, not a match-up that I'm in favor of, but it is what it is. Poor Kyle Bolin was completely stuffed in the first half playing behind the 2's. I could see his frustration early in the second half. After Lamar threw another long TD pass in the first 2nd half series, Coach Petrino took him out for the remainder of the game and put Kyle in his place. Bolin was never sacked (or even pressured) after that and moved the first team well. Was the first team O-Line that good, or the second team D-line just ineffective? My opinion: the first team O-Line is that good.

Running game: pretty good. I thought L.J. Scott and Brandon Radcliff are fairly even: L.J. a little shiftier and a better pass catcher, Brandon more powerful. This kid really knows how to finish a run, as some banged-up corners and safeties will attest. I love Jeremy Smith as a RB, but he fumbled again today, reenacting an all too familiar scene from last season. I would like to see this troublesome habit disappear. The only TD scored by the second team was a long 63-yarder by Malin Jones early in the second half. He appeared to be stopped near the sideline, but broke loose and showed amazing speed for such a big guy taking it down the sideline for a score.

Defense: first team just spanked the second team offense. No running up the middle, QB constantly pressured and good secondary coverage. I considered Trumaine Washington's coverage just average last year, though he did lead us in interceptions. Guess what? He had two picks today, but his over-all coverage was pretty vanilla. Maybe he is an all-of-nothing guy, I don't know. I think Jaire Alexander is our best corner, and he appeared to be pretty chatty with the receivers he covered. The second team was given some gifts by the coaching staff and moved the ball to the one in the first half (their only drive of the half). Josh Harvey-Clemons exploded through the line to tackle a running back taking a pitch-out for a 5 yard loss. The first team D stopped them for no score. I can see why the coaching staff is high on Jonathan Greenard at LB; he looked impressive, as did Henry Famurewa and Amonte Caban. I liked Dee Smith and Khane Pass in the spring practices I saw, but I honestly can't say I saw anything outstanding from that duo today. That said, I am very excited with the young talent shown on the defensive side of the ball.

No doubt there was a lot of talent on that field today. As stated earlier, the second teams didn't show much, so quality depth could be an issue. But I was impressed. I was thinking 10 and 2 for a record this season, but I might shift that up a bit!

Go Cards!!!

Star of the day...surprise! Lamar Jackson! Hit some beautiful, long throws for TD's. Had over 500 yards, averaging over 20 yards a catch while playing only one second half series. Looked as elusive as seen last year when he did decide to leave the pocket. Short passing game was very accurate, liked seeing Cole Hikutini catch (5) first half passes for good gains. Charles Standsberry caught a nice TD throw. I remember one sweet reception made by L.J. Scott out of the backfield. Reggie Bonnafon was a slow starter at receiver, but ended up with (3) catches, one long catch-and-run for a TD. Quick made some nice grabs as well. Jaylen Smith also made a very long nice sliding-go-get-it TD catch. Jaire Alexander had his clock cleaned with a vicious block when trying to tackle a receiver on a long run-and catch. If anyone knows who threw that block let me know!

Speaking of the pocket; the first team O-Line was absolutely impenetrable. Jackson had at least 4 to 5 seconds all day long to find his receivers. Of course, it was 1st's vs. 2nd's, not a match-up that I'm in favor of, but it is what it is. Poor Kyle Bolin was completely stuffed in the first half playing behind the 2's. I could see his frustration early in the second half. After Lamar threw another long TD pass in the first 2nd half series, Coach Petrino took him out for the remainder of the game and put Kyle in his place. Bolin was never sacked (or even pressured) after that and moved the first team well. Was the first team O-Line that good, or the second team D-line just ineffective? My opinion: the first team O-Line is that good.

Running game: pretty good. I thought L.J. Scott and Brandon Radcliff are fairly even: L.J. a little shiftier and a better pass catcher, Brandon more powerful. This kid really knows how to finish a run, as some banged-up corners and safeties will attest. I love Jeremy Smith as a RB, but he fumbled again today, reenacting an all too familiar scene from last season. I would like to see this troublesome habit disappear. The only TD scored by the second team was a long 63-yarder by Malin Jones early in the second half. He appeared to be stopped near the sideline, but broke loose and showed amazing speed for such a big guy taking it down the sideline for a score.

Defense: first team just spanked the second team offense. No running up the middle, QB constantly pressured and good secondary coverage. I considered Trumaine Washington's coverage just average last year, though he did lead us in interceptions. Guess what? He had two picks today, but his over-all coverage was pretty vanilla. Maybe he is an all-of-nothing guy, I don't know. I think Jaire Alexander is our best corner, and he appeared to be pretty chatty with the receivers he covered. The second team was given some gifts by the coaching staff and moved the ball to the one in the first half (their only drive of the half). Josh Harvey-Clemons exploded through the line to tackle a running back taking a pitch-out for a 5 yard loss. The first team D stopped them for no score. I can see why the coaching staff is high on Jonathan Greenard at LB; he looked impressive, as did Henry Famurewa and Amonte Caban. I liked Dee Smith and Khane Pass in the spring practices I saw, but I honestly can't say I saw anything outstanding from that duo today. That said, I am very excited with the young talent shown on the defensive side of the ball.

No doubt there was a lot of talent on that field today. As stated earlier, the second teams didn't show much, so quality depth could be an issue. But I was impressed. I was thinking 10 and 2 for a record this season, but I might shift that up a bit!

Go Cards!!!

The name of the tackler of which you refer was James Hearns. He will be a force to be reckoned with this year!

Go Cards!!!
I think Louisville should be a Top 15 team in the Preseason Rankings and I think you guys are almost a shoe in to beat 9 of the teams on your schedule. Can Louisville beat Clemson, FSU and Houston? Yes. Will they? We'll see.

Reactions: real2it
I think Louisville should be a Top 15 team in the Preseason Rankings and I think you guys are almost a shoe in to beat 9 of the teams on your schedule. Can Louisville beat Clemson, FSU and Houston? Yes. Will they? We'll see.
Truly the bottom line. Execution will determine results. This team is already looking well-prepared. It would be nice to see Jurich's gifts pay off handsomely this season. We have a very committed coaching staff. I'm enjoying Grantham, personally. He needs athletes for his defenses and, when he gets them in a row, I have to feel optimistic going forward.

The outlier is Jackson. I believe this may be the strongest offense I have seen at Louisville. It will definitely be the most wide open. If Jackson can shorten drive times by taking it to near or to the house himself, we can beat just about anybody. I'm really looking forward to the season. This Spring Game was an intoxicating brew.

Truly the bottom line. Execution will determine results. This team is already looking well-prepared. It would be nice to see Jurich's gifts pay off handsomely this season. We have a very committed coaching staff. I'm enjoying Grantham, personally. He needs athletes for his defenses and, when he gets them in a row, I have to feel optimistic going forward.

The outlier is Jackson. I believe this may be the strongest offense I have seen at Louisville. It will definitely be the most wide open. If Jackson can shorten drive times by taking it to near or to the house himself, we can beat just about anybody. I'm really looking forward to the season. This Spring Game was an intoxicating brew.
Yeah, last year Jackson looked more like an Athlete playing Quarterback although you knew he had the arm he just didn't have the timing and know the Offense. This year I look for him to be a great passer who can run if he needs to.

In analyzing the games against Clemson, FSU and Houston, I know the Cards will score points. Your Offense will be great and will be hard to stop. The key in those three games is how your Defense will do stopping Deshaun Watson, Dalvin Cook and Greg Ward Jr?
It comes down to scoring more points than your opponent so if the Defense slows those teams down it gives you a great chance. But if the Defense struggles to contain those guys can your offense win in a shoot out? Those are the big questions in those games.

I know one thing: Louisville is the biggest threat to FSU and Clemson's stranglehold on the Atlantic Division. FSU or Clemson has won the Atlantic Division 6 straight years.

Reactions: Mayoman
Yeah, last year Jackson looked more like an Athlete playing Quarterback although you knew he had the arm he just didn't have the timing and know the Offense. This year I look for him to be a great passer who can run if he needs to.

In analyzing the games against Clemson, FSU and Houston, I know the Cards will score points. Your Offense will be great and will be hard to stop. The key in those three games is how your Defense will do stopping Deshaun Watson, Dalvin Cook and Greg Ward Jr?
It comes down to scoring more points than your opponent so if the Defense slows those teams down it gives you a great chance. But if the Defense struggles to contain those guys can your offense win in a shoot out? Those are the big questions in those games.

I know one thing: Louisville is the biggest threat to FSU and Clemson's stranglehold on the Atlantic Division. FSU or Clemson has won the Atlantic Division 6 straight years.
Nice post, Schmidy.

LJ has an absolute cannon for an arm, actually, but you alluded to that. My bottom line is that we may have the best defensive unit ever seen here as well.....it will all depend on the secondary. We'll sorely miss Burgess in the middle - a warrior - and Rankins, too, as far as that goes - but the guys who came back instead of opting for the draft form a nucleus of what could be an exceptionally motivated and talented pain.

I also like the front-loaded schedule, actually. We'll be far more injury free - hopefully of course - and Petrino's offenses evolve early. Once again, this long upcoming season will require tremendous focus coming out the gate. Now that we have a more veteran team, the concept of a full season is large. If we lose to both or one of Clemson and FSU, we will have a better understanding of our place and what would be required to overcome. I have hopes this will be the closest FSU game in years. Make no mistake, we want that position.

Nice post, Schmidy.

LJ has an absolute cannon for an arm, actually, but you alluded to that. My bottom line is that we may have the best defensive unit ever seen here as well.....it will all depend on the secondary. We'll sorely miss Burgess in the middle - a warrior - and Rankins, too, as far as that goes - but the guys who came back instead of opting for the draft form a nucleus of what could be an exceptionally motivated and talented pain.

I also like the front-loaded schedule, actually. We'll be far more injury free - hopefully of course - and Petrino's offenses evolve early. Once again, this long upcoming season will require tremendous focus coming out the gate. Now that we have a more veteran team, the concept of a full season is large. If we lose to both or one of Clemson and FSU, we will have a better understanding of our place and what would be required to overcome. I have hopes this will be the closest FSU game in years. Make no mistake, we want that position.

As the saying goes, in order to BE the man, you have to BEAT the man. Florida State and Clemson will be continuing to try to 'hold serve'. Louisville, to be credible, needs to get to the point where it expects to win one against these two.

Not there yet.

Have to prove it for many seasons in a row.

It's Spring. It's not Fall.

FSU vs. Louisville should be interesting this season. Probably represents the best chance for the Cards to break through.

To me, the FSU game is the big one, it's on a Saturday (hopefully it'll be a night game w/Gameday being there) and it's a home game. 2 seasons ago, I sure thought we had FSU beaten, but like a good team like they are, they fought back. The Clemson game can certainly be a close game because of how many players on defense they lost, but, this season, it's FSU.

If not this season, then when? That's the question Petrino his staff and his players need to answer themselves.

What I'm looking forward to is the opening up of the running game because of Lamar's deep passing threat ability. LJ's deep ball also opens up the tight ends. If the OLine holds, and not just against Our own 2nd D, we can control a lot of games with early quick scores and owning the the clock later. In the right game, the ground game improvement can also work against the three best pre-season opponents as well.
No, I don't mean the Strong Strategy that pretty much lost the CFU game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT