ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Old Cardinal Stadium is coming down this fall.

most memorable game...loss to Murray St...which was actually a win, because I was cheering for the Racers on that occasion...in my own defense, I was 11 and my sister was a Freshman at Murray.

I played in a T-ball game there during a Colonels' game and hit a home run. Lol, it was a ground ball that got thru the infield and rolled forever on that astro turf.

I love Cardinal Stadium, but I always wondered what it would have been like if we had finished that stadium into a bowl and kept the roof. THAT would have been LOUD!!

Reactions: ULoverUK
I hit one off the wall in Centerfield during an American Legion state tourney. Only time I was ever there. It had awful infield grass back then.

Reactions: rockycard
I did see Shaquille O’Neal on a recruiting visit there also, he was with Boo Brewer?

I saw my first concert there, Summer Jam. Saw Tennessee break Jeff Brohms leg. I feel like I'm making a Mellencamp song.

Bout time, I thought they were waiting for it to just fall down on it's own!

Most memorable football games to me were the Favre hail mary game and the Texas game where we kicked their a$$. Maybe the most fun moment was when the fan stole the Mountaineer rifle and ran up the stadium steps with it.

Reactions: rh62531
most memorable game...loss to Murray St...which was actually a win, because I was cheering for the Racers on that occasion...in my own defense, I was 11 and my sister was a Freshman at Murray.
Saturday MORNING football games (free coffee and donuts). Lee Corso and the Astro Mud. The first (and last) annual Bluegrass Bowl. Many, many baseball games. Lots of memories.

Reactions: rh62531
many of my friends will tell you that the grateful dead played one of the best shows they ever saw the night of 7-6-90 in Cardinal Stadium

1: Hell In A Bucket-> Sugaree, Easy To Love You, Peggy-O, Desolation Row, West L.A. Fadeaway, Picasso Moon, Ramble On Rose, The Music Never Stopped;
2: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Women Are Smarter-> Standing On the Moon-> He's Gone-> Jam-> Drums-> Jam-> Truckin'-> Wharf Rat-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> Around & Around,
E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

and others will verify

many of my friends will tell you that the grateful dead played one of the best shows they ever saw the night of 7-6-90 in Cardinal Stadium

1: Hell In A Bucket-> Sugaree, Easy To Love You, Peggy-O, Desolation Row, West L.A. Fadeaway, Picasso Moon, Ramble On Rose, The Music Never Stopped;
2: China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Women Are Smarter-> Standing On the Moon-> He's Gone-> Jam-> Drums-> Jam-> Truckin'-> Wharf Rat-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> Around & Around,
E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

and others will verify
I never heard of any of these songs, but I have a feeling they all sounded the same.

I was there for Brett’s bomb and Bevo’s early exit..numourous other Redbird and Cardinals games. Sad to see it go, but it needs to go. It would be cool if they would put an amphitheater in its place. Give Freedom Hall a facelift too. Move the Boys and Girls Sweet 16 Tournaments there permanently.

my first concert Summer Jam 1. Eddie Money, Mahogany Rush and god please forgive me Ted Nugget. Saw Boog Powell hit a home run there when Baltimore played the. Colonels in a exhibition game. In the 70s Twice our marching band (Charlestown Indiana) played at UofL games. Played in and watched many band contests and DCI Drum and Bugle contests there. That astro turf was so squishy in places i am surprised ther weren’t more torn ACLs.

High school when I played for Stuart High School and we beat Bishop David 6-0 in the first round of the ‘78 playoffs when they were the preseason favorite to win state that year.

A lot of good football games, Louisville when Corso was coach and Howard Stevens running all over the place, theTrinity vs St. X games some great memories.

I played there in the ‘61 City-County All-Star football game. Saw many games there, both UofL and Colonels/Redbirds. It has to come down. The place has been condemned and is so unsafe that they cannot even house livestock in there.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: rh62531 and Mayoman
First memory was as a kid, my oldest brother taking me to see the State Championship in 1971, when Flaget and Thomas Jefferson battled to 7-7 tie.

Best memory was probably the back to back beatdowns of Arizona St and Texas in ‘93. The old stadium was packed to the gills for those 2 games.

I was at the fair yesterday and walked by the old stadium telling my wife of all the history there. Got a little misty eyed for sure.

Saw many a Redbirds game, willie McGee, Terry Pendleton, Van Slyke, Tito Landrum on and on. Saw many a LRS 102 concerts Bob Seger, REO Speedwagon, Sweaty Teddy plus U of L football games.

I never heard of any of these songs, but I have a feeling they all sounded the same.
btw...
Desolation row is by Bob Dylan
I Know You rider is a Traditional Song
Man Smart-Woman Smarter is a Calypso Song
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad is by woody Guthrie
Around And Around is by Chuck Berry
It's All Over Now Baby Blue is by Bob Dylan

and if you think all songs sounded the same, it's a bummer you missed out on some of the most beautiful and awe inspiring music ever played. and in total, they played 2324 concerts, in which they played 184 Original songs and 317 cover songs by artists such as The Who, CCR, Beatles, McCartney, Johnny Cash, Martha and the Vandals, Traffic, REv Gary Davis, Gordon Lightfoot, Sam Cook, Otis Redding, Van Morrison, Bo diddly, The Meters, the Crickets, Smokey Robinson, Wilson Picket, elmore James, James Brown, Derek and The Dominoes, Rolling Stones, Howlin wolf, Merle Haggard, Buddy Holly, Miles Davis, Bob Marley, al Green, Dolly Parton, The Everly Bothers, The Band, Loretta Lynn and Hank williams to name a few.

and if you don;t recognize those names do yourself a favor and listen to them all. your life will be changed. can an band you've ever listened to give you so much different styles of music? and all 2324 concerts were all different, no repeated setlists except maybe in their first year. think about that, ever time any person ever saw the grateful dead that concert was unique, just like a sporting event. no two concerts were ever the same. in todays music, you get the same show, same setlist, every single night no matter the city. you love sports for that exact same reason, you never know what you'll get. grateful dead, phish, widespread panic, string cheese incident, and all the jam band scene, you get something unique every night with the chance of it being something transcendental

Reactions: general knight
My first game was a St.X/Trinity game in the late 60’s and UofL games when Lee Corso was coach. I played many games there while at Trinity and still have the scars from the AstroTurf. The most memorable, beating St.X in a torrential downpour during the 1979 season. Water was two feet deep coming out of the locker room in the baseball dugout. Then attending every home game as a student at UofL. My freshman year, we actually took a keg of beer into the aluminum bleachers. Went on to being a season ticket holder upon graduating and have been ever since. Great memories watching were we came from to where we are now.

Reactions: gocds
My first game was a St.X/Trinity game in the late 60’s and UofL games when Lee Corso was coach. I played many games there while at Trinity and still have the scars from the AstroTurf. The most memorable, beating St.X in a torrential downpour during the 1979 season. Water was two feet deep coming out of the locker room in the baseball dugout. Then attending every home game as a student at UofL. My freshman year, we actually took a keg of beer into the aluminum bleachers. Went on to being a season ticket holder upon graduating and have been ever since. Great memories watching were we came from to where we are now.

Is there any other university that has accomplished as much as UofL has in those years? I sure can’t think of another school that has come so far in the same period of time. There are some that have tried but come up a bit short. LIke Marshall, Cincy, Memphis, UConn, Utah, Colorado State and East Carolina. Of course you have USF and UCF but none of them have accomplished anywhere near what we have. You have to give credit to Bill Olsen for bringing Howard here and taking that gamble. And then to Tom Jurich for taking us to new heights that most of us thought impossible.

Reactions: SoulSr
oh, i saw a bunch of games in high school when the Louisville Redbirds became the first AAA team to get 1,000,000 fans which of course included van slyke, mcgee and coleman.saw kris kross cause they make you Jump Jump, saw farm aid with willie, neil young and john cougar, saw many trinity st x games, and got sunburned in the metal bleachers of many a football game.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
btw...
Desolation row is by Bob Dylan
I Know You rider is a Traditional Song
Man Smart-Woman Smarter is a Calypso Song
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad is by woody Guthrie
Around And Around is by Chuck Berry
It's All Over Now Baby Blue is by Bob Dylan

and if you think all songs sounded the same, it's a bummer you missed out on some of the most beautiful and awe inspiring music ever played. and in total, they played 2324 concerts, in which they played 184 Original songs and 317 cover songs by artists such as The Who, CCR, Beatles, McCartney, Johnny Cash, Martha and the Vandals, Traffic, REv Gary Davis, Gordon Lightfoot, Sam Cook, Otis Redding, Van Morrison, Bo diddly, The Meters, the Crickets, Smokey Robinson, Wilson Picket, elmore James, James Brown, Derek and The Dominoes, Rolling Stones, Howlin wolf, Merle Haggard, Buddy Holly, Miles Davis, Bob Marley, al Green, Dolly Parton, The Everly Bothers, The Band, Loretta Lynn and Hank williams to name a few.

and if you don;t recognize those names do yourself a favor and listen to them all. your life will be changed. can an band you've ever listened to give you so much different styles of music? and all 2324 concerts were all different, no repeated setlists except maybe in their first year. think about that, ever time any person ever saw the grateful dead that concert was unique, just like a sporting event. no two concerts were ever the same. in todays music, you get the same show, same setlist, every single night no matter the city. you love sports for that exact same reason, you never know what you'll get. grateful dead, phish, widespread panic, string cheese incident, and all the jam band scene, you get something unique every night with the chance of it being something transcendental
If it was played by the Grateful Dead, they all sounded the same.

Is there any other university that has accomplished as much as UofL has in those years? I sure can’t think of another school that has come so far in the same period of time. There are some that have tried but come up a bit short. LIke Marshall, Cincy, Memphis, UConn, Utah, Colorado State and East Carolina. Of course you have USF and UCF but none of them have accomplished anywhere near what we have. You have to give credit to Bill Olsen for bringing Howard here and taking that gamble. And then to Tom Jurich for taking us to new heights that most of us thought impossible.

Amen

I remember playing Southern Miss when it was a ABC regional telecast and thinking it was Big Time. We froze our asses off in those bleachers. And of course the Bret Favre game. Great memories.

Reactions: gocds
Per WLKY. Obviously, it needs to come down. Long overdue. But, damn, man, the memories. Can't put a number on how many games and concerts I saw in there.

https://www.wlky.com/article/demolition-of-old-cardinal-stadium-could-begin-this-fall/22814291
The one thing I recall other than the games was at the old stadium they had boxed meals in a huge tent and since my family was never big on tailgating, we would get our meals from the tent and sit and listen to the band. Not sure why they stopped that when the new stadium was built. As far as games go, the Texas, Tennessee and North Carolina games were my most remembered games

It's a shame the place was let to rot down. Last time I was there was a state fair concert last year. So much for responsible facility maintenance.

It's a shame the place was let to rot down. Last time I was there was a state fair concert last year. So much for responsible facility maintenance.
Without a host, it costs too much to maintain. Maybe if soccer had come earlier, Louisville FC could have made a home but the focus was clear, riverfront/downtown.

Reactions: CardVille
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT