ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds kinda repugnant...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
On October 20, 1951, former Kentucky players Alex Groza, Ralph Beard, and Dale Barnstable were arrested for taking bribes from gamblers to shave points during the National Invitation Tournament game against the Loyola Ramblers in the 1948-49 season. This game occurred during the same year that Kentucky won their second straight NCAA title under Rupp. Rupp and the university were criticized by the presiding judge, Saul Streit, for creating an atmosphere for the violations to occur and for "failing in his duty to observe the amateur rules, to build character, and to protect the morals and health of his charges".

LINK

Reactions: gocds
Read the judge's quote again. How much less repugnant is masquerading as an athlete and taking money to throw a game? That's money, not the garbage these guys supposedly received.

Yeah, much higher character stuff there...

UK players didn't throw any games 70 years ago, they made sure they won by more than the spread.
Not that I'm an expert but I am fairly sure that's not how point SHAVING works. They didn't need to lose the game 65-70 years ago; they had to make sure the final score was less than the spread. Not more than the spread.

Good grief.

Not that I'm an expert but I am fairly sure that's not how point SHAVING works. They didn't need to lose the game 65-70 years ago; they had to make sure the final score was less than the spread. Not more than the spread.

Good grief.

Sure it is, it doesn't matter which side of the spread your on, the point is knowing which side to put money on.

Kentucky has been caught in quite a few scandals in their past. Certainly a lot more than Louisville, they have been involved in point shaving, paying athletes and grade fixing to name a few. At one point Kentucky, Memphis and Iowa State were the 3 most probated schools in the NCAA. Of course that was about 10 years ago maybe somebody else has replaced them. Who knows they could have dropped to 4th now.

UK players didn't throw any games 70 years ago, they made sure they won by more than the spread.

NO SIR you are wrong. They made sure that the spread WAS NOT COVERED by intentionally missing shots and free throws. You really need to get your facts straight. Yeah, in certain cases you may have been correct but in most cases my comment is absolutely correct.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

So players throwing a game over 65 years ago equals what went on here?
Here's a deal for ya... When slappies stop counting banners from 65 years ago, other stuff that may be relevant about them will also cease to matter.

Let me know when that happens, cheaters.

"Elite program," my a$$...

Reactions: earsky
NO SIR you are wrong. They made sure that the spread WAS NOT COVERED by intentionally missing shots and free throws. You really need to get your facts straight. Yeah, in certain cases you may have been correct but in most cases my comment is absolutely correct.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I'm gonna have to back track, I was reading about the 48-49 team. The following season they did intentionally go under the spread as well as over.

Last edited:
On October 20, 1951, former Kentucky players Alex Groza, Ralph Beard, and Dale Barnstable were arrested for taking bribes from gamblers to shave points during the National Invitation Tournament game against the Loyola Ramblers in the 1948-49 season. This game occurred during the same year that Kentucky won their second straight NCAA title under Rupp. Rupp and the university were criticized by the presiding judge, Saul Streit, for creating an atmosphere for the violations to occur and for "failing in his duty to observe the amateur rules, to build character, and to protect the morals and health of his charges".

LINK
Perfect!!!

Reactions: gocds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT