ADVERTISEMENT

Sonja we miss you

Watson & Card First and others: I join you all in expressing sentiments about missing Sonja’s contribution to this site, and encourage her to return.

I was one of several participants in the one thread “OSU 96 - UL 77” that prompted Sonja to leave the site.

I would encourage those interested in understanding why Sonja left, to go back and pull that December 1st thread and judge for yourself as to whether anyone “ran her off”. In advance of my responding here, I did just that; however, I discovered that some of the exchanges have been removed, particularly the one where Sonja referred to those on that thread as “biting the hand that feeds you”.

There is no one on this Women’s Sports site who had been more appreciative and complimentary of Sonja than myself over her many excellent threads. I was shocked how she reacted to those who disagreed with her, and her initial characterization of “dragging the women‘s team through the mud”.

No one said anything on that thread that would suggest “that Sonja had been run off” as a result of the exchanges in that thread . While I too miss her contribution, I respected her subsequent farewell explanation, where she acknowledged that she did not need any more negativity in her life; something that I totally understand.

Just to explain a little more about that specific thread, one of the issues pertained to OSU‘s exceptional (73%) shooting performance, where I felt that OSU‘s shooting was far more a result of our poor defense, than OSU’s performance. The number of unchallenged interior shots by OSU explained the 96 points. Sonja took offense to those who disagreed. (I should mention there was another exchange about officiating that I recall, but when I went back to that thread, it and others appear to have been removed)

Sonja did return in one thread for the purpose of explaining her decision to leave, and as I recall she indicated that she does read the posts periodically. I would hope that she would come back and hopefully there could be some way to address whatever she felt was so objectionable that warranted leaving this site.

I will confess that I, and I suspect the others who were on that one thread feel like those who were not on that thread, and are not aware of the content of that thread, have assumed that Sonja must have been insulted; that is both unfair and inaccurate.

I agree because around the same time I disagreed with Sonja on some of her post and expressed a different opinion of her post. I didn’t consider it any type of attack just debating the post. I post things on here all the time and people disagree with me but I don’t take it personal. I agree I do miss Sonja’s insight that she has provided because I thought her articles were very good and I enjoyed reading them.

I too remember that thread on the OSU game where she sarcastically said those who posted were geniuses and were dragging the team through the mud. It was the responses that she didn't like despite them being respectful.

Like everyone else, I enjoyed Sonja's coverage of women's sports and was surprised at her sudden departure. I just chalked it up as something in her personal life which is something that we all have experienced. Frustration, as we know, can lead to some worrisome times.

I hope she comes back and knows no one here holds any disdain for her. We're all part of the Cardinals family and I look forward to seeing her post again.

Well I was one that pushed for this forum for years when Howie ran the show and again when Ty took it over. I’ve subscribed to both Rivals and 247/Inside the Ville for almost two decades and always liked how 247 has had a very active Women‘s forum, it’s where I spend most of my time. I respect Sonja and Paulie for their passion for all UofL’s women‘s athletics and hope she returns.

I was unaware she left. I guess I was following the premium Collison and Recruiting forums too much.
I have always enjoyed her comments. I stay away from the negative discussions and rarely don't call out others for their comments.
Win or lose I come here for the sense of community, news, and information.
Come back Sonja. I love the women's team and enjoy your comments and passion.

I was unaware she left. I guess I was following the premium Collison and Recruiting forums too much.
I have always enjoyed her comments. I stay away from the negative discussions and rarely don't call out others for their comments.
Win or lose I come here for the sense of community, news, and information.
Come back Sonja. I love the women's team and enjoy your comments and passion.
I hope she comes back too. Her game breakdowns were great and her annual Christmas poem was epic!

I’m not sure if this was posted anywhere else, and I don’t know much as far as details (not that I would share them).

But I understand that Sonja and her family are going through a rough stretch that makes message boards and sports pale in comparison.

Many prayers go out to her and Paul for a full return…

Very thoughtful note Zipp; is there anything beyond prayers that we could do for Sonja, Pauli and their family?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT