ADVERTISEMENT

Softball's Caitlin Ferguson forgoing her extra year

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Louisville Softball shortstop Caitlin Ferguson had the opportunity to come back for an additional season this spring, but the senior is choosing to go to graduate school. She and Celene Funke were the two seniors on last years roster. Last I heard, Funke will return for the extra year.

Caitlin's message:

Dear CardNation,
The majority of my life has revolved around softball. I fell in love with this sport when I was a mere six years old. Every fall and winter consisted of softball and basketball. Every spring was softball season and of course, every summer, since I can remember was spent traveling the country for games. My dream was to play softball at the Division I level. Well, I can say I have truly lived out that dream.

My four years at the University of Louisville have been nothing short of the best experience I have ever had. I have made lifelong friendships and memories that I will never forget. I believe that this sport has shaped the person I have become and has equipped me to succeed in the real world. Skills like self-discipline, teamwork and overcoming adversity do not really sink in until you live and practice them every day. I feel like playing any college sport at this level prepares you for anything that life can throw at you.

Although I would have LOVED to continue my softball career, I have decided to continue my education and go to pharmacy school next fall. Nothing can make this transition easy, especially when I have been an athlete my entire life, but I am very eager to begin my pharmacy career.

I want to thank my coaches, parents and the fans for all of their support. I also want to thank the athletic department for giving me opportunity to play softball for the University of Louisville. And I thank God for giving me the ability to play this sport and blessing me with an opportunity to play at the Division I level. Without all of you, none of this would have been possible.

So, this is my farewell CardNation. I will cherish every minute I spent playing this sport, from tee ball to college. It has been an honor to represent the University of Louisville and play on Don Dobina Field.

Ferg

Good Luck Caitlin! I'm sure that was a tough decision, buy she's been training to make these type decisions all of her life.

Good Luck on your future endeavors and thanks for representing the University in a positive manor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT