ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeper playoff contenders

If we keep fielding competitive teams as we have the past several years, we'll likely continue to get mentioned as a potential dark horse. I just hope we break through one of these years and get past FSU and Clemson into the playoffs!

Reactions: American Male
Much as I like Andrea Adelson's enthusiasm, this statement was not correct:

"The Cards return all their best players, including dynamic quarterback Lamar Jackson and hybrid end/linebacker Devonte Fields, the former Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year."

Sheldon Rankins was the best player on last year's team, so we do not return all of our best players. The good news is that we do return a lot of really good ones.

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
Much as I like Andrea Adelson's enthusiasm, this statement was not correct:

"The Cards return all their best players, including dynamic quarterback Lamar Jackson and hybrid end/linebacker Devonte Fields, the former Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year."

Sheldon Rankins was the best player on last year's team, so we do not return all of our best players. The good news is that we do return a lot of really good ones.
No team returns all of their best players, but the Cards will return a high percentage of their best players from last year plus we have some pretty good players coming in too that might just end up having bigger impacts than expected. It happens most every year. No reason to think it won't happen this year too.

Another dangerous team in the ACC in my opinion is Pittsburgh. Not many people mention them but they physically manhandled us especially in the running game last year and like us they were young and return a bunch of starters.

It is clear that Louisville is the 3rd best team in the ACC on paper. It is also clear that Louisville is close enough in talent to FSU and Clemson to potentially win those games this year. The FSU game is at Home and Louisville has only lost to Clemson the past two years by less than one score. It's really simple for Louisville. They have to win all the ACC games other than Clemson and FSU which they've had no trouble doing other than a fluke loss to Virginia in 2014 and to Pitt in 2015. Then they have to either win both of the FSU/Clemson games or split them and make the ACC Championship game via some type of tiebreaker. Imagine if FSU/Clemson and Louisville all finish 11-1 and each team has one loss to the other two? That would be a real mess.

It is clear that Louisville is the 3rd best team in the ACC on paper. It is also clear that Louisville is close enough in talent to FSU and Clemson to potentially win those games this year. The FSU game is at Home and Louisville has only lost to Clemson the past two years by less than one score. It's really simple for Louisville. They have to win all the ACC games other than Clemson and FSU which they've had no trouble doing other than a fluke loss to Virginia in 2014 and to Pitt in 2015. Then they have to either win both of the FSU/Clemson games or split them and make the ACC Championship game via some type of tiebreaker. Imagine if FSU/Clemson and Louisville all finish 11-1 and each team has one loss to the other two? That would be a real mess.

This sounds suspiciously like my post on the main football board in the "Could Louisville upset the ACC this year?" thread. You copying my homework Schmidty? ;)

We always have a solid chance to beat anyone at home. But our problem with the FSUs of the world is quality depth in the later stages of the game. We had FSU down 21-0 at our place before losing 42-31 when FSU took the lead on two touchdowns in the last 4:25 of the game. We've been closer with Clemson than FSU, playing two single score games. We just need to beat one of the two, and have someone else beat the other, to put ourselves in a tie breaker scenario.

Louisville has to hit the ground running this year. Teams that lose early in the season have to immediately alter season goals. The Cards open with a gimme, then get a game on the road @ Syracuse which could be competitive. Bottom line, come out of the gates @ 2-0 and a little bit of momentum is created.

I think we will have an easier game with Clemson than with FSU. Clemson lost some great players on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure they have quality depth, but it may lack experience. There offense should still be potent with Watson returning. Neither game will be easy, but i think we will have a better shot with Clemson than with FSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT