ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP : Butch Jones to Purdue ?

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
Just heard he has been reached out to behind the scenes by some Purdue people.

I know he's interested in UofL which would NEVER happen.

Let me guess, that football scoop article? Butch Jones to Purdue would never happen after what went down when we looked at him before hiring Hazell. IF Brohm were to leave, Jones wouldn't be the replacement. Far from it.

Just heard Bob Beatty and Steve Kragthorpe have been reached out to behind the scenes by some Louisville people.

Let me guess, that football scoop article? Butch Jones to Purdue would never happen after what went down when we looked at him before hiring Hazell. IF Brohm were to leave, Jones wouldn't be the replacement. Far from it.

Im with you.

Id rather hire an assistant with no HC experience than Butch.

He peaked at UC.
If he was any good, Tennessee wouldn't have axed him.

There would have to be an opening for Butch to go to Purdue. If you follow all the tea leaves throughout this last week you would realize that Jeff Brohm has no plans to leave Purdue.

1) Brohm has shifted the media conversation towards Purdue’s future. He addressed the rumors privately with the team and all players are very comfortable with the situation. All interviews are now about recruiting Indiana players to Purdue, developing long term depth within the program, and how he believes in trust and honesty. Why would he put himself in this position if he had thoughts to leave?

2) Vince Tyra went on the record yesterday explaining the current status of the search. He dropped this article on Thanksgiving Day in order to shift the local conversation away from a single candidate search. The subtle hint about money being an issue will be his “out” for why he didn’t land Brohm.

Will the fan base go into full Tennessee meltdown mode after Jeff Brohm officially stays at Purdue? Will candidate B, C, or D be good enough for the message boards? I can’t wait to see the upcoming spectacle!!

There would have to be an opening for Butch to go to Purdue. If you follow all the tea leaves throughout this last week you would realize that Jeff Brohm has no plans to leave Purdue.

1) Brohm has shifted the media conversation towards Purdue’s future. He addressed the rumors privately with the team and all players are very comfortable with the situation. All interviews are now about recruiting Indiana players to Purdue, developing long term depth within the program, and how he believes in trust and honesty. Why would he put himself in this position if he had thoughts to leave?

2) Vince Tyra went on the record yesterday explaining the current status of the search. He dropped this article on Thanksgiving Day in order to shift the local conversation away from a single candidate search. The subtle hint about money being an issue will be his “out” for why he didn’t land Brohm.

Will the fan base go into full Tennessee meltdown mode after Jeff Brohm officially stays at Purdue? Will candidate B, C, or D be good enough for the message boards? I can’t wait to see the upcoming spectacle!!

This guy is funny too.

If this was truly the case Brohm would clearly say I am not interested in Louisville. End of story. The truth is we all read the tea leaves differently only Brohm knows what he is going to do, at this point we do know he hasn't eliminated Louisville. Everything he is doing is what he should doing because he hasn't been offered another job.

We also know based off Tyra's interview he isn't getting into a bidding war with Purdue. If money is the deciding factor Purdue will keep Brohm. Louisville and its fans will move on if that is how it plays out....good for Brohm.

Reactions: Deeva and Cue Card

Depends on who they finally hire. I don’t read “tea leaves”. I don’t think you do, either. No body knows at this point. I’m sure we’ll get a good coach; if the need arises, so will Purdue.

If this was truly the case Brohm would clearly say I am not interested in Louisville. End of story. The truth is we all read the tea leaves differently only Brohm knows what he is going to do, at this point we do know he hasn't eliminated Louisville. Everything he is doing is what he should doing because he hasn't been offered another job.

We also know based off Tyra's interview he isn't getting into a bidding war with Purdue. If money is the deciding factor Purdue will keep Brohm. Louisville and its fans will move on if that is how it plays out....good for Brohm.
And good for Tyra, if that’s the way it goes.

What I can’t wait to see is how you react when Brohm leaves! Not saying we (Cards) necessarily get him but he’s a short-timer at Purdue. As many on this board have tried to explain we have been poached time after time. If we don’t get him, somebody else will. If not this December, then next December by an Auburn, LSU or Michigan State. Some big-time school will come calling. It’s only a matter of time. Get over it, and yourself.

Reactions: KerryRhodes

Yes, he would voluntarily eliminate his leverage in extension talks with Purdue. Good strategy.

What I can’t wait to see is how you react when Brohm leaves! Not saying we (Cards) necessarily get him but he’s a short-timer at Purdue. As many on this board have tried to explain we have been poached time after time. If we don’t get him, somebody else will. If not this December, then next December by an Auburn, LSU or Michigan State. Some big-time school will come calling. It’s only a matter of time. Get over it, and yourself.

You have never been poached before as a member of the Big Ten, or even the ACC. NEVER!

Yes, he would voluntarily eliminate his leverage in extension talks with Purdue. Good strategy.
I agree - the better strategy is to annually use outside interest to pound purdoo for more money / extensions.

Interesting that is the scenario that makes you feel better.

From what I’ve heard from my sources close to UL, Butch is actually on our short list. It may not go far but Tyra thinks he could afford him.

Reactions: idaho_bob
You have never been poached before as a member of the Big Ten, or even the ACC. NEVER!
Conference affiliation has nothing to do with better programs taking a coach from you. Zero. You’ve NEVER had a football coach anybody ever wanted, not even Tiller.

Conference affiliation has nothing to do with better programs taking a coach from you. Zero. You’ve NEVER had a football coach anybody ever wanted, not even Tiller.

You guys are funny. Name a Big Ten football coach in the last 70 years who has voluntarily left to
take another college job for any reason except money or philosophical disagreement with his AD?
Just name name 1 whose name wasn’t Saban, Bielema or Mackovic (money) ) or Anderson (philosophy) btw, the latter three were fired with five years of leaving the Big Ten.

You guys are funny. Name a Big Ten football coach in the last 70 years who has voluntarily left to
take another college job for any reason except money or philosophical disagreement with his AD?
Just name name 1 whose name wasn’t Saban, Bielema or Mackovic (money) ) or Anderson (philosophy) btw, the latter three were fired with five years of leaving the Big Ten.
Jeff Brohm

Butch Jones camp is spreading things around - I’ve seen posters over at BGI taking about butch jones- and they have no comment history at all. I think this is becoming more of a common practice. Lane Liffin camps doing the same crap- one poster with no comment history used the phrase “time to get on-board the lane train” no Purdue fan would say this......ever

Butch wants to be an assistant under Brohm?

Wow. That seems like a step down for him

Last edited:
Reactions: Onaway
Jeff almost left last year to go to Tennessee. Look, we understand how you feel. We’ve had several of our up and coming coaches poached by “bigger” programs. It’s going to happen with you and Jeff. If not this year then next year.

Purdue has a rich history, but if we’re being honest in the past 10-15 years you guys haven’t exactly been a top notch football program. You just got permanent lights on your Stadium. You’ve been to 1 BCS bowl and the past 5 years you’ve been a program that hasn’t won more than 4 games.

If an Auburn, Ohio State, USC, Miami, Tennessee (again), Michigan, Michigan State etc come calling he’s gone. And there’s no shame in that. Just enjoy the ride and hope you get that next up and comer to build on what Jeff did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT