ADVERTISEMENT

Secondary coach Brown gone

Anyone have an inside on what is going on with all of the coaches leaving our program?

Something happened with the promises of raises.

Scott flirted with SC because of it and now the other coaches headed out. I think COVID pauses took our money stream out and not to mention paying out Petrino & Jurich putting us in a hole. I think they all thought they'd get more money elsewhere to be honest.

But it's proof Scott can hire good assistants, but a revolving door of assistants during a rebuild isn't good for the on field product.

Yep, keep telling yourself that. Usually occurs after a successful season, not what we’re experiencing.

All of the coaches moving on have gotten promotions and/or are returning to their alma mater. It's not like they're leaving for the sake of leaving. Plus, the position they are taking means it's open, so there's proof coaches elsewhere move on. But, sure, let's all freak out over something that happens everywhere all the time.

Reactions: Mayoman
Scott's flirtation with SC may or may not have contributed to Brown's departure, or for that matter any others, but it was, and it remains as a horrible signal to both existing assistants coaches and any potential replacement candidates. Not an easy thing to overcome.

All of the coaches moving on have gotten promotions and/or are returning to their alma mater. It's not like they're leaving for the sake of leaving. Plus, the position they are taking means it's open, so there's proof coaches elsewhere move on. But, sure, let's all freak out over something that happens everywhere all the time.
So basically you’re saying we made some bad hires because they are all mercenaries and just want more money and prestige. Never mind that Ledford was going to take a HC coach at Marshall before he took a gig in the NFL.

I don’t think VT said “hey, we got a co DC spot open, let’s go get the safeties coach at Louisville, he’s doing a great job!”

I just cannot understand whyall these programs continue to poach our staff. When their are assistants at the bigger programs to me would be more attractive. And especially with the results we have had on the field it;s not like we have been setting cfb on fire. Just doesn't make any sense.

I find that one very odd why would they want Brown?
Also, per Feldman:

Louisville's defense had gone from No. 122 in the country before Satterfield/Brown were hired up to No. 39 last year. Also Cards have gone from No. 127 in scoring defense to No. 49. Expect Brown to get a new deal with U of L soon.

Brown will probably cash in next year, I could honestly see him being a Head Coach. If a school like UT is calling, then he's going to be sought after. I wonder how long we can hold Cort too?

That's the problem with not being a traditional power school, there isn't as much prestige and it's harder to hold on to assistants. That's the reason other coaches have eyes elsewhere. To win in the ACC we can't just only have a good HC, we have to be able to pay for the best staff possible.

Charlie actually built us into a ACC program because he knew what it took to compete at the top level. He knew the depth we needed on the lines and the type of guys to recruit. That's why we walked into the ACC ready to play on day 1. Charlie Strong will always be the blueprint for long-term success here and that's why I really wanted Luke Fickell 2 years ago, because he's a Urban DC that's turning Cincy into what we were in 2013.

Bobby didn't know how to win big at a Power 5 School. Arkansas had a lot of money and a football department that was already in place. Not to mention he already had good players and recruits in his backyard, he really was able to just call plays at Arkansas. When he was here round 1, in the Big East all you needed were athletes and a better scheme. When he returned, he had good talent in place, but he wasn't able to manage the program. He thought his assistants would just be his loyal soldiers and a guy like Grahntham wasn't needed. He didn't know how to make relationships and hire the right fit. He wasn't good at knowing where to go recruit, he thought his genius could just call plays and it would all work. When he lost Tom, then there was 0 management structure in place behind him and it all fell apart.

Scott knows how to call plays. He seems to be good at building relationships and hiring the right guys. But will he be able to do it at the ACC level consistently? Will his mid-tier ACC classes be so well coached that we can compete, or will we just always be a step behind? Will he be able to keep the staff in place? Will he get a big offer and head outta town?

Reactions: PHCARD
Brown will probably cash in next year, I could honestly see him being a Head Coach. If a school like UT is calling, then he's going to be sought after. I wonder how long we can hold Cort too?

That's the problem with not being a traditional power school, there isn't as much prestige and it's harder to hold on to assistants. That's the reason other coaches have eyes elsewhere. To win in the ACC we can't just only have a good HC, we have to be able to pay for the best staff possible.

Charlie actually built us into a ACC program because he knew what it took to compete at the top level. He knew the depth we needed on the lines and the type of guys to recruit. That's why we walked into the ACC ready to play on day 1. Charlie Strong will always be the blueprint for long-term success here and that's why I really wanted Luke Fickell 2 years ago, because he's a Urban DC that's turning Cincy into what we were in 2013.

Bobby didn't know how to win big at a Power 5 School. Arkansas had a lot of money and a football department that was already in place. Not to mention he already had good players and recruits in his backyard, he really was able to just call plays at Arkansas. When he was here round 1, in the Big East all you needed were athletes and a better scheme. When he returned, he had good talent in place, but he wasn't able to manage the program. He thought his assistants would just be his loyal soldiers and a guy like Grahntham wasn't needed. He didn't know how to make relationships and hire the right fit. He wasn't good at knowing where to go recruit, he thought his genius could just call plays and it would all work. When he lost Tom, then there was 0 management structure in place behind him and it all fell apart.

Scott knows how to call plays. He seems to be good at building relationships and hiring the right guys. But will he be able to do it at the ACC level consistently? Will his mid-tier ACC classes be so well coached that we can compete, or will we just always be a step behind? Will he be able to keep the staff in place? Will he get a big offer and head outta town?
On Satt that's why i would be so surprised if a major tier school would want him. Things you wrote is what i would question about his ability to recruit on a grand scale.

I don’t think VT said “hey, we got a co DC spot open, let’s go get the safeties coach at Louisville, he’s doing a great job!”
I think it was WVU, and that’s exactly what they said, or they wouldn’t have hired him. Why else would he be there? It’s a promotion for Pete’s sake.

Brown also spent time as a head coach at Rowan County High School in Kentucky from 2008-10. In 2007, he was an assistant at Boyle County High School, the alma mater of West Virginia head coach Neal Brown.

I think it was WVU, and that’s exactly what they said, or they wouldn’t have hired him. Why else would he be there? It’s a promotion for Pete’s sake.
College HC’s don’t actively poach other team’s coaches. It’s a tight network and you would be labeled pretty quickly. What’s more likely is that Brown found out about a possible opening and showed interest in the job. Think about it, employers don’t usually disclose salary requirements until they offer you the job or you show significant interest. It’s not just a conversation...

College HC’s don’t actively poach other team’s coaches. It’s a tight network and you would be labeled pretty quickly. What’s more likely is that Brown found out about a possible opening and showed interest in the job. Think about it, employers don’t usually disclose salary requirements until they offer you the job or you show significant interest. It’s not just a conversation...
Out after “college HC’s don’t actively poach other team’s coaches.” I’m sure the rest of your post was spot on.

Reactions: GoldCard

Nope. College coaching is all about networking and working your way up the ladder so you can make big boy money. A co-defensive coordinator position will win out over a position coach position.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
On Satt that's why i would be so surprised if a major tier school would want him. Things you wrote is what i would question about his ability to recruit on a grand scale.
Like Bobby, I think Satt is a guy that would do better at a place with the infrastructure in place. If there was plenty of money for good assistants & a big football dept. with analysts etc, he wouldn't have to be the CEO of every decision. If the assistants could recruit and he could focus on coaching and motivating.

That's where the disconnect happens when some mid-major coaches move up and aren't as good, they don't like program managing in a power league. Smaller schools, it's more about coaching and getting the right guy for your system. Recruiting is a much bigger game, you need talent but also good talent that fits your style.

It all boils down to recruiting. Fans and coaches know it. Coaches are only as good as the players they have. They look like geniuses when they have really good players and idiots when they don’t.

People think the main reason head coaches leave for more money. I would argue it is mainly tied to recruiting. That is why Louisville lose their head coaches. Howard was tied to conference affiliation. Their ego leads them to believe their system will be better with better players. That has proven to be false.

I firmly believe Satterfield can build the program. I like how he is building the roster. He knows what he is doing. His flirtation was a significant mistake that could have altered his future path. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT