ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Sales Up

Wonder whether up 30% offsets the $2 million in losses in basketball and the $600K bath we took on the Holiday Bowl?

Playing in the Bowl game cost the University money? Can you explain ?
It's on another thread - but UofL was required to purchase all of their allotted tickets from the Bowl Organizing committee. Because we didn't have a jumbo jet full of fans go to the game (not blaming anyone for not taking the trip) UofL Athletics was left holding the bag.

I saw early projections for Bowl games next year and I know right now is just a guessing game . However they have us going back to the Holiday Bowl playing TCU, I hope not.

This is just one of the reasons the ACC is failing its members. The delay in responding to FSU‘s omission from the BCS contributed to UL getting sent out west. The entire point of a Bowl game is to reward the school and its fans, right? How is that working out?

Facts are what “cues ‘zipp’ “…

Like the subject of this thread. We’re way down on football season tickets from a decade ago.

Management (re)setting a low bar.

And to correct Eric Crawford, it’s not “new revenue.” It’s starting to recoup millions of LOST revenue…

Recent disclosure about the Committee being formed by the ADs and Presidents of the member institutions inside the SEC and the BIG conferences should send a powerful message to the ACC, and more importantly to UL.

Get competitive in Football, or prepare to become obsolete. In fairness, home attendance is not going to move the needle in terms of success in college football ………. Its about having conference teams capable of competing equally with the SEC and the BIG.

I just read an article that the 4 top viewed teams in the ACC were FSU, Clemson, Louisville and Miami. The 2 teams that draw the fewest viewers in the ACC were UNC and Virginia. They also said that the SEC does not want FSU or Clemson because because it would not increase their foot print or attract anymore viewers since they already have schools in those states. I thought it was interesting since Virginia and UNC are always talked about as being schools that other conferences want even though they don’t attract viewers.

Reactions: CardsFirst
...They also said that the SEC does not want FSU or Clemson because because it would not increase their foot print or attract anymore viewers since they already have schools in those states...
And that's as expected and why I rhetorically asked who wanted them. The SEC already has "the state school" in both states.

The Big Ten would be a possibility for two schools in the deep south aspiring to play all of their road games north of the Ohio River or west of the Mississippi. I doubt that's the case...

And that's as expected and why I rhetorically asked who wanted them. The SEC already has "the state school" in both states.

The Big Ten would be a possibility for two schools in the deep south aspiring to play all of their road games north of the Ohio River or west of the Mississippi. I doubt that's the case...
Neither school meets the academic profile the B1G wants.

I just read an article that the 4 top viewed teams in the ACC were FSU, Clemson, Louisville and Miami. The 2 teams that draw the fewest viewers in the ACC were UNC and Virginia. They also said that the SEC does not want FSU or Clemson because because it would not increase their foot print or attract anymore viewers since they already have schools in those states. I thought it was interesting since Virginia and UNC are always talked about as being schools that other conferences want even though they don’t attract viewers.
Well isn’t that interesting.

Facts are what “cues ‘zipp’ “…

Like the subject of this thread. We’re way down on football season tickets from a decade ago.

Management (re)setting a low bar.

And to correct Eric Crawford, it’s not “new revenue.” It’s starting to recoup millions of LOST revenue…
It’s up from last year. Isn’t that a good thing?

It’s up from last year. Isn’t that a good thing?
Sure, but that's a low bar for this athletic program.

And it's not surprisingly why Heird's goal is another ten thousand season tix. Because this program has been there before--in a smaller stadium with less amenities. He simply doesn't say that...

Sure, but that's a low bar for this athletic program.

And it's not surprisingly why Heird's goal is another ten thousand season tix. Because this program has been there before--in a smaller stadium with less amenities. He simply doesn't say that...
FB revenue is the highest it has ever been according to the ULAA report and we are at a low bar? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. The revenue number is from ticket sales which is normally 70%+ of total operating revenue.

FB revenue is the highest it has ever been according to the ULAA report and we are at a low bar? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. The revenue number is from ticket sales which is normally 70%+ of total operating revenue.
"Football revenue" is a complex subject that requires you to be clear what you're referring to...

Ticket sales in FY2023 were $10.8 million. I use a number for "game day revenue" (GDR) that includes ticket and suite sales, parking and concessions. That number for 2023 was $14.5 million. Those are unaudited numbers reported by ULAA and not found in an annual report.

GDR for football maxed out in FY2017 at $19.2 million, representing a 25% decline over those six years. What U of L is now trying to do is RECOVER from what has been a big decline. Also, keep in mind that these starting and ending numbers aren't adjusted for inflation, i.e., the real decline has been greater than 25%.

Unaudited football revenue in total was reported by ULAA in 2023 to be $46.3 million. The audited equivalent reported by U of L's outside accountants was $49.5 million. The two aren't that far apart for discussion purposes. But they each contain a huge contribution from ACC media revenues that shroud true operating performance.

If I stay with unaudited numbers prepared in the same report/analysis, ticket revenue was 23% of the $46.3 million total, and GDR was 41%...

Last edited:
There is nothing complex about viewing the line item "operating revenue - Football" from the ULAA reports from 2012 to 2023 to see how the numbers compare. Any increase in ticket sales would effect that number. That line item is the highest it has ever been.

Last edited:
There is nothing complex about viewing the line item "operating revenue - Football" from the ULAA reports from 2012 to 2023 to see how the numbers compare. Any increase in ticket sales would effect that number. That line item is the highest it has ever been.
That's an oversimplified analysis for the reason(s) I stated. Mine wasn't.

And no reason to guess or speculate when actual numbers are available...

Tune in tomorrow sports fans for a chart of GDR presented as inflation adjusted dollars. Starting from the period when the USA abandoned the gold standard until now. 😂🏈
Stay on topic. If you want it adjusted for inflation (you don't), let me know...

"Football revenue" is a complex subject that requires you to be clear what you're referring to...

Ticket sales in FY2023 were $10.8 million. I use a number for "game day revenue" (GDR) that includes ticket and suite sales, parking and concessions. That number for 2023 was $14.5 million. Those are unaudited numbers reported by ULAA and not found in an annual report.

GDR for football maxed out in FY2017 at $19.2 million, representing a 25% decline over those six years. What U of L is now trying to do is RECOVER from what has been a big decline. Also, keep in mind that that these starting and ending numbers aren't adjusted for inflation, i.e., the real decline has been greater than 25%.

Unaudited football revenue in total was reported by ULAA in 2023 to be $46.3 million. The audited equivalent reported by U of L's outside accountants was $49.5 million. The two aren't that far apart for discussion purposes. But they each contain a huge contribution from ACC media revenues that shroud true operating performance.

If I stay with unaudited numbers prepared in the same report/analysis, ticket revenue was 23% of the $46.3 million total, and GDR was 41%...
The numbers are the numbers and data, while it can be skewed, basically don't lie. We have to walk before we run and I like to think we are walking at a good pace again. Howard was quoted, when asked, if he regrated leaving U of L. " I never look in the rear view mirror" was his reply. We need to keep moving forward, lets stay positive and see what the future brings. GO CARDS!

Reactions: rh62531
LMAO. I’d expect any chart to be massaged for maximum visual impact. Possibly even a blatant lie. Like presenting increasing revenue in 5 million dollar increments. Meanwhile declining revenue is shown in 2 million dollar amounts. Taco college graphs and laughs tactics.

At the end of the day the original post of this thread is good news. Season ticket sales for the 2024 season are up. Hard to figure, parking revenue, concession sales and merchandise income for a season months away from fall kickoff.

So Nostradamus, gaze deeply into your ball and chart that.

Crawford’s parroting what he was told. No analysis, no independent research, and missing numbers that aren’t that difficult to find.

You want real investigative journalism, you get it here.

Numbers AND charts for people who process pictures better…

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
Not arguing with agenda driven posters data. Simply pointing out GDR numbers are only known for games that have been played.

This thread was started because the athletic department reported an increase in season ticket sales from a previous year. Then to piss on the parade (without actually discussing the number of season ticket packages sold) the old regime supporters introduce a new metric. GDR.

We will have to wait to see what the 2024 football season means in dollars per game. Many variables involved here.

I’m not hearing anyone dispute the claim or present contrary data that season ticket sales are up year over year.

Reactions: HiStepper
Not arguing with agenda driven posters data...
You think you wanna talk about "agendas." And you're taking data from people who have an obvious conflict of interest.

The people talking about ticket sales are responsible for selling those same tickets. They then try to bias how you view their numbers by drawing comparisons. "Everyone look at how good we're doing!"

Pardon me if I wanna peel back the onion on that claim...

So “they” are only claiming to have sold more tickets this year than last. That simple. Are you saying they in fact did not?

Side note to anyone still reading this not suffering from mental illness. My final point is to have high GDR there better be a lot of people at the game. Not just season tickets sold. Not just parking passes bought. Thirsty, hot dog and nacho eating people better be at the stadium. Increased season ticket sales show the potential for folks to go to the stadium and watch the game. If the team is winning and playing good football this year, a lot of those ticket purchasers will show up on game day and buy stuff. If they suck, people won't be spending their time or money at the stadium. Good weather and an exciting to watch team this year could break attendance and revenue numbers for the U of L football Cards. That fact has some people really upset.

Not arguing with agenda driven posters data. Simply pointing out GDR numbers are only known for games that have been played.

This thread was started because the athletic department reported an increase in season ticket sales from a previous year. Then to piss on the parade (without actually discussing the number of season ticket packages sold) the old regime supporters introduce a new metric. GDR.

We will have to wait to see what the 2024 football season means in dollars per game. Many variables involved here.

I’m not hearing anyone dispute the claim or present contrary data that season ticket sales are up year over year.
He thinks he gets to take over your post and dictate what metrics YOU should be using to satisfy him. One Admin does not get a gold star because their revenue was mainly ticket sales and the other Admin brings in the same or greater revenue but it contained conference money. Revenue is revenue and it doesn't matter where it comes from. Louisville sports is bringing in more revenue today than at any time in its history.

Last edited:
Reactions: chevelle99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT