ADVERTISEMENT

Schnatter, regarding the arena deal, asks Jurich, "what would you do?"

Chris Ott with WDRB said during the BOT meeting John Schnatter asked Jurich what he would do. According to Chris it was not a sarcastic question but rather a genuine question, showing he didn't want make his decision on the vote until he got Jurich's opinion. More interesting is that it was implied that if they didn't vote yes there would be repercussions politically from guess who the governor. But I love Jurich response "I would sell it". He stated that they wanted it built on campus.

Reactions: zipp and wilkie01
How Im about to be on campus this fall, it'd be amazing to get to be apart of a new arena in the next couple of years while I am there. Be awesome, but wont happen.

Reactions: wilkie01
How Im about to be on campus this fall, it'd be amazing to get to be apart of a new arena in the next couple of years while I am there. Be awesome, but wont happen.
Nice to see a fellow student on the board. I have a year of undergrad and still deciding on if I'll do the 1 year masters. Enjoy every minute. It hasn't felt like near enough. I also agree that it is unlikely we break ground on a new stadium while we are still in the early stages of the yum.

Reactions: HRTheCard
I don't think Jurich's empty threats about building something on campus endeared him to the city and the mayor. Let's remember if the arena does go bankrupt, UofL contract goes in garbage and the new owners (creditors) will be a lot tougher than the City. And Creditors may call his bluff and look for an NBA team to fill their void. Not a good situation, but one of the reasons why UofL athletics has been on the rise, is the Yum Center........

Not many people are going to get behind an arena on campus that will be smaller, likely no liquor sales, no corporate suites and the Athletic department is support by boosters that never went to the school. The Basketball program is really the City's "Pro" fix, it would not be easy to get coaches like Pitino and good recruits without the City's 100% focus. That is why UofL is one of the best jobs in College basketball

Reactions: SoulSr
I don't think Jurich's empty threats about building something on campus endeared him to the city and the mayor. Let's remember if the arena does go bankrupt, UofL contract goes in garbage and the new owners (creditors) will be a lot tougher than the City. And Creditors may call his bluff and look for an NBA team to fill their void. Not a good situation, but one of the reasons why UofL athletics has been on the rise, is the Yum Center........

Not many people are going to get behind an arena on campus that will be smaller, likely no liquor sales, no corporate suites and the Athletic department is support by boosters that never went to the school. The Basketball program is really the City's "Pro" fix, it would not be easy to get coaches like Pitino and good recruits without the City's 100% focus. That is why UofL is one of the best jobs in College basketball
I think TJ is tired of being the whipping boy for doing his job better than the people he was negotiating against, particularly when he wanted the arena in campus and acquiesced to the current site to help the downtown revitalization.

Nice to see a fellow student on the board. I have a year of undergrad and still deciding on if I'll do the 1 year masters. Enjoy every minute. It hasn't felt like near enough. I also agree that it is unlikely we break ground on a new stadium while we are still in the early stages of the yum.

What major are you going into? And where have you interned, assuming you say 1 year masters I assume you are in SPEED as well.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash

Do you really think Tom Jurich gives a big rat's butt about what the "city and the mayor" think about him? He's twice the leader ANY of them are and has ten times the success they've had.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Jurich has mentioned an on campus arena more than a few times. He's got an athletic dept. to lead. Endearing himself to city leaders isn't part of his job description. And, I think you have it the other way around. The Yum! got built on the heels of UofL's basketball success. The program didn't elevate any higher due to a structure.

I'd be on board 100% for an on campus arena. Smaller, I'm fine with it. There would be alcohol sales, so no worries there. There would be corporate suites. What you are doing is underestimating Jurich. That's a mistake.

What major are you going into? And where have you interned, assuming you say 1 year masters I assume you are in SPEED as well.
Yep I'm a speed schooler! I'm majoring in Chem E, and I've co-oped at Cook Medical 3 terms. I'm in my final term there now. If you are just starting in speed School (or another discipline) I'd be happy to meet for lunch or something in the upcoming semester and answer any questions you may have. I'll put my email on my profile.

Reactions: zipp and HRTheCard
Yep I'm a speed schooler! I'm majoring in Chem E, and I've co-oped at Cook Medical 3 terms. I'm in my final term there now. If you are just starting in speed School (or another discipline) I'd be happy to meet for lunch or something in the upcoming semester and answer any questions you may have. I'll put my email on my profile.

Okay I'll keep that in mind, thanks! And yep I am going into Computer Science and Engineering most likely, could end up being electrical though.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I think the university would have a difficult time getting the approval for the needed bonds to build a new arena on campus.

U of L reportedly generates $45 million in basketball annually. If you think that revenue stream wouldn't interest a few people in building an arena, you need to think again.

And as far as what Jurich personally can accomplish, recall not too long ago that we would never play in a conference like the ACC.

A couple of you guys act like you were just born yesterday...

U of L reportedly generates $45 million in basketball annually. If you think that revenue stream wouldn't interest a few people in building an arena, you need to think again.

And as far as what Jurich personally can accomplish, recall not too long ago that we would never play in a conference like the ACC.

A couple of you guys act like you were just born yesterday...

I really don't think it is an act for many of them. As Gump was so fond of saying: "Stupid is as stupid does."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT