ADVERTISEMENT

Say no to Memphis

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
It was about 10 years ago when the SEC held their basketball tournament in Memphis. It was plagued with stolen cars, panhandling and robberies. The SEC said they would never return back to Memphis. That was then and now the crime has doubled. I read an article that said Memphis could be left out of future conference realignment due to the crime in the city.
Today the city of Memphis issued a warning telling residents not to got to gas stations or stores by themselves. I hope COK and the Louisville staff take note and does not renew that series.

It was about 10 years ago when the SEC held their basketball tournament in Memphis. It was plagued with stolen cars, panhandling and robberies. The SEC said they would never return back to Memphis. That was then and now the crime has doubled. I read an article that said Memphis could be left out of future conference realignment due to the crime in the city.
Today the city of Memphis issued a warning telling residents not to got to gas stations or stores by themselves. I hope COK and the Louisville staff take note and does not renew that series.
Wow.

I wonder are you talking about the AAC Tournament that was held in Memphis 11 years ago ? If so a lot has changed since then. When you went to Beale Street did you see the 4 paddy wagons that say gang control units on them? When going to Memphis the only safe area is East Memphis and even there is having problems.
Halle Plantation is an upscale neighborhood in East Memphis in an area called Collierville and they had 70 cars broken into in one night. They have a gangs in Memphis and one of them has 84 members all of them are juveniles and the leader is 13 years old. The city council in Memphis passed a law saying police cannot pursue stolen cars so car theft is at a high rate. If you want a true snapshot of Memphis just google the most dangerous city in the US and that is Memphis. Google results for almost any type of crime and Memphis is on the list.

CR,
From my own experience, If any one individual or small group visits Memphis, it is quite possible that a visitor could avoid being victimized. With that said, I have visited Memphis many times in the past, as well as more recently just for business purposes. Those trips placed me in many different locations, some relatively safe, while others are about as close to "East St. Louis environment" as one can imagine. I think what Kosmas shared is 100% accurate, and explains why that community is not conducive to ACC inclusion, something that officials will not say in public, but are keenly aware of.

If Louisville fails to change its community leadership pretty soon, we will appear to be "Memphis North" to the rest of the country.

I agree with you a 100% on the leadership in Louisville, if change is not made Louisville will decline rapidly.

Yeah I don’t understand why they have tournaments in shitty crime oriented cities. If the people who grew up there are moving out that is an indication not to go there.

I’ve been to Memphis recently as well as New Orleans and Miami. I’m still here in one piece to tell about it. Beale Street and Bourbon Street. Always have a great time. Am I aware of my surroundings? Absolutely. Am I going to let fear limit what I do? Absolutely not.

Oh, BTW, I had a great time watching UofL play in big, scary Atlanta too. 😁

I’ve been to Memphis recently as well as New Orleans and Miami. I’m still here in one piece to tell about it. Beale Street and Bourbon Street. Always have a great time. Am I aware of my surroundings? Absolutely. Am I going to let fear limit what I do? Absolutely not.

I have always had a good time in Memphis, but that was back in the day - 1980s. My issue has always been with their BB program and their coaches. First Dana Jerk, Larry Finch and The Squid. ...Ugh!

Their fans brought their Mid-South Wrestling mentality to the arena batteries included. That being said, one of the best times in my life included a group of MSU fans after the semifinal game in the Metro Conference Tournament in Cincy. We were on the bus crossing the river and struck up a conversation. They asked about a good place to eat b4 they headed back home. I recommended one and gave them directions. They asked my daughter and me to join them. We did. Three African-American couples and a paleface with his 9 y/o daughter, post game at the height of the rivalry. A group of fans who appreciated what the other had. Great fun.

And where did that daughter choose to go to college and later start a business? Atlanta! She still thinks it is one great city despite the Olympic bomber blowing (or shooting) up the abortion clinic in the strip mall near her home.

There is good and bad everywhere. Choose your spots wisely.

The problem with Memphis is the bad areas out number the good areas by a lot and the bad areas continue to grow. There is a main road in Memphis ( Winchester) that looks like a 3rd world country when you drive down it. All the businesses have moved out because of all the crime so everything is vacant. The mall only has 3 stores in it and they have plywood in the front of the store telling you what products they sell.
Like I have posted before the number one industry is welfare it generates 3 times more money to the Memphis economy than FedEx and the world headquarters is there. I have never lived in Atlanta and I haven’t been there much so I wouldn’t know much about it. I have never lived in New Orleans and when I have visited there I was only in the French Quarters. I know it is a dangerous city outside the quarters.

I have lived in Memphis because my wife is from there. We go back to visit her family quite often and it is changing quick and not for the better. We were there last week when city officials made the announcement telling people don’t go to the store or gas stations by yourself because it is not safe.

The problem with Memphis is the bad areas out number the good areas by a lot and the bad areas continue to grow. There is a main road in Memphis ( Winchester) that looks like a 3rd world country when you drive down it. All the businesses have moved out because of all the crime so everything is vacant. The mall only has 3 stores in it and they have plywood in the front of the store telling you what products they sell.
Like I have posted before the number one industry is welfare it generates 3 times more money to the Memphis economy than FedEx and the world headquarters is there. I have never lived in Atlanta and I haven’t been there much so I wouldn’t know much about it. I have never lived in New Orleans and when I have visited there I was only in the French Quarters. I know it is a dangerous city outside the quarters.

I have lived in Memphis because my wife is from there. We go back to visit her family quite often and it is changing quick and not for the better. We were there last week when city officials made the announcement telling people don’t go to the store or gas stations by yourself because it is not safe.

Meh, you sound like a frightened old Boomer. If you walk around scared, you’ll always be scared. I’m more wary of small town America full of methheads and prescription pill addicts. Usually on government assistance. Like the entire family they busted in Ohio County, Ky last month.

Reactions: Vikcard
BTW, I’m no fan of Memphis State. I did love Memphis Wrestling though. I still watch it on YouTube once in a while. Brings back good memories of Saturday mornings on WAVE and Tuesday nights at Louisville Gardens. 😁

Well you’re talking to someone who has been a victim in Memphis. We have had 3 vehicles stolen, credit cards and checkbooks stolen multiple times, lawnmowers stolen twice, entertainment center stolen out of the top of our Yukon, tools stolen twice and a gun pulled on us twice. All this and we lived in the good parts of town. It would be hard if you and others to really know a city just by passing through to see a ballgame. When we left Memphis our friends were saying “ we are glad you finally escaped Memphis”.

I’ve been robbed and stolen from when I lived in Nashville. Is it on your “list” too?

They better kick Vandy out of the SEC pronto!

Reactions: earsky
No you think just because you went to a ballgame in Memphis and had a good time the city is not dangerous. Your knowledge of Memphis is a 2 day snapshot of what it is like. Before you start comparing Memphis to Nashville I would advise you to do your research so you don’t look like a fool.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
No you think just because you went to a ballgame in Memphis and had a good time the city is not dangerous. Your knowledge of Memphis is a 2 day snapshot of what it is like. Before you start comparing Memphis to Nashville I would advise you to do your research so you don’t look like a fool.

Sweetie, I’ve been to Memphis more times than I can count, way more than a pleasure trip. I know real people that live there. They love it there. You're not fooling anyone on why you “hate” Memphis.

Last edited:
That is so funny what part of Memphis were you in sweetie? Whitehaven, Raleigh, Ridgeway, Kirby Woods, Hickory Hill, Frazier, Highland, Berclair, etc. At one time they were all good parts of town but no longer. The remaining good areas are now on the decline places like Cordova and Bartlett.
The people you know in Memphis say they love it there, I question what type of people you know. Once again you look like a fool like I said all you have to do or anyone has to do is google the stats on crime infested cities and Memphis will pop up in almost every catergory. Now if you are anyone else is smart enough to do that and you find I am wrong let me know. But guess what I am not wrong. By the way next time you meet somebody from Tennessee tell them you have never been to Memphis and ask them what it is like.

That is so funny what part of Memphis were you in sweetie? Whitehaven, Raleigh, Ridgeway, Kirby Woods, Hickory Hill, Frazier, Highland, Berclair, etc. At one time they were all good parts of town but no longer. The remaining good areas are now on the decline places like Cordova and Bartlett.
The people you know in Memphis say they love it there, I question what type of people you know. Once again you look like a fool like I said all you have to do or anyone has to do is google the stats on crime infested cities and Memphis will pop up in almost every catergory. Now if you are anyone else is smart enough to do that and you find I am wrong let me know. But guess what I am not wrong. By the way next time you meet somebody from Tennessee tell them you have never been to Memphis and ask them what it is like.

Not all people that live or have lived in Memphis are bitter old Boomers like you. You’re frightened of people you don’t even know. Says a lot about you as a person, not the people I know. You high tailed it out of Memphis because you’re scared and now you’re ready to hightail it out of Louisville? I feel sorry for people like you. You obviously dislike certain kind of folks. Pity.

BTW, I still root against Memphis State.

Once again you look so stupid ranting bullshit. Google the facts and it will show you how stupid you are making yourself look. I can go on like this all day because the facts that you can google support what I am saying. You are just trying to create a false narrative that none of this is true. So you have the opportunity to call me out and prove me wrong by googling the facts. However you don’t do it you just make up crap that is not true.

Once again you look so stupid ranting bullshit. Google the facts and it will show you how stupid you are making yourself look. I can go on like this all day because the facts that you can google support what I am saying. You are just trying to create a false narrative that none of this is true. So you have the opportunity to call me out and prove me wrong by googling the facts. However you don’t do it you just make up crap that is not true.

I know the problems the city has, dumbass. My friends know the problems the city has. Just pointing out not everyone is a scared Boomer like you. JFC.

You sound like a teenager with your rants. I don’t think wanting to live somewhere where I don’t have to worry about criminals stealing all the things I worked so hard for is a bad thing. I see you’re changing your argument instead of saying Memphis is not a criminally sinking ship you are saying that I am just scared. So you must have googled the crime stats and saw I was right and you were wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: CommodoreCard
You sound like a teenager with your rants. I don’t think wanting to live somewhere where I don’t have to worry about criminals stealing all the things I worked so hard for is a bad thing. I see you’re changing your argument instead of saying Memphis is not a criminally sinking ship you are saying that I am just scared. So you must have googled the crime stats and saw I was right and you were wrong.

That is hilarious. The whole thing wizzed over your bald or gray haired head. 😂

I haven’t been able to respond to your last comment because I am traveling for work. I am an independent contractor who travels around the country putting restaurants together so Insee a lot of cities good and bad. I am curious we are discussing crime and you keep referring to my age. What does my age have anything to do with crime?

53ed60a2-79ae-4ebc-ab1a-3f1ea000f78f_text.gif

• Haha
I say no to Memphis State just because I can’t stand ‘em. I don’t know or care very much about the city of Memphis. They add nothing.

I haven’t been able to respond to your last comment because I am traveling for work. I am an independent contractor who travels around the country putting restaurants together so Insee a lot of cities good and bad. I am curious we are discussing crime and you keep referring to my age. What does my age have anything to do with crime?
Because it's easier for him to call you a racist, which is what he's doing. That is the problem with crime in Memphis. Anyone who wants to deal with it is called a racist. It's more important to some that crime persists if the solution complicates their political stance.

Because it's easier for him to call you a racist, which is what he's doing. That is the problem with crime in Memphis. Anyone who wants to deal with it is called a racist. It's more important to some that crime persists if the solution complicates their political stance.

I mentioned white trash, rural crime too. I don’t let it determine where I go or how I live either. But please bring racism into it. I didn’t call him racist, I called him a Scaredy Cat.

Last edited:
You did insinuate that I was making comments because Memphis has a large African American community but I never once mentioned race. To insinuate I am scared is ridiculous just because I am concerned about the safety of my family. I have a good friend who use to live in Memphis and he is African American and he moved out of Memphis because he was also concerned for his family’s safety.

His name is Charles Ewing we worked together for Scripps Howard publishing. He left the publishing company to open his own business called Ewing on the Move. Memphis is deteriorating quickly because all the hard working honest people don’t want to be around all the slugs who don’t work and steal from the ones who do.

Maxine Smith who was a long term member of the city council and an African American made the comment that Memphis has become a cess pool of non tax paying citizens. Like I said all you or anyone else has to do is google crime in the US and Memphis is at the top of the list for any crime. It was also ranked number 1 as the most mismanaged city. Also number 1 for the worst place to raise a family.

When Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee were wrestling I used to go to the Steak & Egg for breakfast on Saturday mornings it was on Highland Street one block over from the Memphis State campus. They use to film the wrestling at WMC channel 5 right next door to Steak & Egg. Once they were done with the show all the wrestlers would come over to eat and a whole slew of teenage girls would follow like groupies.

I became friends with Lawler and had a good time getting together with him. He used to live on the corner of White Station and Walnut Grove. On the corner across the street from him was where Charlie Rich lived. Before Beale Street everyone went to Overton Square and it was really safe and had just as many night spots as Beale Street.

There used to be a club there called Yosemite Sam’s and one night I was in there with some friends and Jerry Lee Lewis came in and just started playing piano and singing. Overton Square is still there and a good place to go with good restaurants and entertainment. Lafayette’s on Madison has good entertainment. Memphis used to be a good place a long time ago but not now. The people in charge ruined it and there is no turning back it is too far gone.

I posted earlier on this thread that parts of Memphis at one time were good parts of town but they deteriorated and they were no longer good areas. I also posted 2 areas that are quickly in decline. Those 2 areas are Bartlett and Cordova and by coincidence they have a report about problems in Cordova. To see this report google “ Cordova neighborhood feels unsafe as large parties lead to dangerous activities”. All those who are reading this thread can google this and see what I have been talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT