ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Down South Way Too Early Top 25

Feb 19, 2003
Says it all imo about Louisville....Need a culture change to play with the "Big Boys" on a consistent basis..

3. Florida State

Florida State loses its two biggest superstars in Dalvin Cook and Demarcus Walker. Cook was arguably the nation’s best running back. Walker was perhaps the country’s most productive pass rusher. But aside from those two, the Seminoles return just about everybody — offense, defense and special teams. While Jimbo Fisher isn’t Nick Saban on the recruiting trail, he’s pretty close and has stockpiled an embarrassment of riches in Tallahassee.

8. Clemson
Dabo Swinney has the Clemson program rolling in the same fashion as some of the top programs in the land such as Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State, but losing a talent like Deshaun Watson is never easy. Regardless, the Tigers will battle Florida State for control of the ACC in 2017.

14. Louisville
Lamar Jackson returns, and Louisville will beat up on enough weak teams to be in the mix in 2017. Can they hold up against big boy teams like Florida State and Clemson? It’s doubtful.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/early-2017-preseason-top-25/

Gotta love these' way to early 'guesses' on ratings' for next year. Especially since no one will remember or care about the accuracy of said predictions.

Didn't they say that UofL could not/would not 'hold up' with the big boy teams FSU and Clemson this time last year?

Well.....we saw how that worked out. SMH Nothing to see here.:confused::rolleyes:

I agree with it. FSU has the date with us at Tallahassee circled on their calendar. I don't think we'll be able to handle that one. That's not a knock on Louisville. FSU will be loaded next year and looking for revenge.

I expect FSU to win the ACC and be in the playoffs as a legitimate contender. So in the sense of what the writer said, we won't be able to stand up to them.

Clemson at home.... I like our chances.

Bunch of weak teams on the schedule. Yep

Reactions: SoulSr and Mayoman
Sorry you took it that way. I said I expect FSU to win. Acknowledging that another team is great doesn't make you a loser. Upsets happen every year.

We WERE NOT 40 points better than FSU at any point this year. It was just one of those days. Maybe we'll be able to pull some mojo next year on them as well.

I agree with it. FSU has the date with us at Tallahassee circled on their calendar. I don't think we'll be able to handle that one. That's not a knock on Louisville. FSU will be loaded next year and looking for revenge.

I expect FSU to win the ACC and be in the playoffs as a legitimate contender. So in the sense of what the writer said, we won't be able to stand up to them.

Clemson at home.... I like our chances.

Bunch of weak teams on the schedule. Yep
These are my thoughts exactly. The only game I think we have less than a 50/50 shot to win is FSU. I'm honestly hoping that we get Clemson early and fsu somewhere near the middle of our schedule. Last year I thought that with fsu early we had a better chance because they were young and we were coming off a good bowl win. That proved to be the best situation. This year Clemson will be young and at louisville so I think we could get an easier W early in the year than if we played them late. FSU I am hoping we get a nooner in the middle of the season in Tallahassee because the powerhouse teams tend to intimidate our team in night games (see Clemson this year fsu Thursday 2014).

Says it all imo about Louisville....Need a culture change to play with the "Big Boys" on a consistent basis..

3. Florida State

Florida State loses its two biggest superstars in Dalvin Cook and Demarcus Walker. Cook was arguably the nation’s best running back. Walker was perhaps the country’s most productive pass rusher. But aside from those two, the Seminoles return just about everybody — offense, defense and special teams. While Jimbo Fisher isn’t Nick Saban on the recruiting trail, he’s pretty close and has stockpiled an embarrassment of riches in Tallahassee.

8. Clemson
Dabo Swinney has the Clemson program rolling in the same fashion as some of the top programs in the land such as Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State, but losing a talent like Deshaun Watson is never easy. Regardless, the Tigers will battle Florida State for control of the ACC in 2017.

14. Louisville
Lamar Jackson returns, and Louisville will beat up on enough weak teams to be in the mix in 2017. Can they hold up against big boy teams like Florida State and Clemson? It’s doubtful.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/early-2017-preseason-top-25/
It's good we're still mentioned in the top 20 but the point is fair. Not sure what to expect. We have to beat Clemson. FSU will be hard on the road and they'll be pissed after the stomping we gave them. Comes down to the O-line again. Time to step up.

Rated too high, should not be ranked pre-season.

This is a Lamar factor forgetting about all the other problems this team has right now.

I know we beat FSU this year, and I actually think we could beat Clemson finally next year at home with the crowd and team into it.

But the problem is all these other games that are perceived to be easy – this team isn’t making anything easy heading into the off-season.

The ACC just went 8-3 in bowls (no help from us, sadly).

There's nothing "easy" about the conference slate. This writer sucks.

This is a Lamar factor forgetting about all the other problems this team has right now.

I know we beat FSU this year, and I actually think we could beat Clemson finally next year at home with the crowd and team into it.

But the problem is all these other games that are perceived to be easy – this team isn’t making anything easy heading into the off-season.

Reactions: American Male
Strange.

I don't see uk on there. Or Miss St, or USC2 or TAMU, or Mich St.

Using this rags thinking I guess these guys are gonna beat nobody's and need to stay away from the big boys too? :rolleyes:

I will only say this with regard to Florida State...they did lose three teams in league and twice at home. They didn't protect their quarterback any better than we protected ours and it's been sort of a multiyear problem down in Tallahassee. They do get Derwin James back, perhaps.There are alot of head-to-heads within the ACC that we hammered and Florida State struggled with, and you can start the bill at NC State and Wake.

I think three is a little ambitious for FSU and if anything I'd slide Clemson a little higher than 8--they're closer to 5th with their program depth and incumbent personnel than they are 10th. They have a staggering amount of pro caliber depth in that front four.

Bottom line is to be the man, you have to beat the man, and we haven't done that to date. We're getting closer.

Beating FSU in back to back years would go a long way to establishing the Cardinals as a national title contender. Beating Clemson at PJCS is a must win game next year too. Beat both and we'll be ready to make a national statement.

JMO

I don't have a problem with the rankings, but the analysis for U of L is a little off the mark IMO... "Holding up" was not our issue this year, at least physically. Our 'D' was nicked up at the end, but that wasn't where our most serious problems were.

And I don't think injuries or battle fatigue much affected our first two years in the ACC. This year was the first under Petrino to limp home...

The ACC just went 8-3 in bowls (no help from us, sadly).

There's nothing "easy" about the conference slate. This writer sucks.

I completely agree. A lot of wins some fans might take for granted, I celebrate, and I mean it. The line between winning/losing is very thin.

Reactions: tkdcoach
If our O-line does not improve, then a 14 ranking would be a very generous prediction.

Athlon has the same range...#15....

15. Louisville

90x100xLouisville_logo_primary_web.jpg.pagespeed.ic.bdJNfqIxvn.jpg
After a dynamic sophomore campaign, quarterback Lamar Jackson is back to defend his Heisman Trophy victory and lead the Cardinals back in contention for the ACC title. Jackson accounted for 3,543 yards and 30 touchdowns through the air and added 1,571 yards and 21 scores on the ground. Jackson should continue to improve as a passer, but coach Bobby Petrino has some work to do in retooling the supporting cast. Running back Brandon Radcliff departs, and the receiving corps loses James Quick (45 catches), Jamari Staples (36) and tight end Cole Hikutini (50 catches). Three starters have expired their eligibility in the trenches, but left tackle Geron Christian should be one of the ACC’s top linemen in 2017. Improving the offensive line has to be a priority for Petrino this offseason. The Cardinals also lose a couple of key players on defense, including tackle DeAngelo Brown and linebackers Keith Kelsey and Devonte Fields. However, coordinator Todd Grantham can build the 2017 defense around linebackers James Hearns and Stacy Thomas, along with cornerback Jaire Alexander. Louisville’s schedule features road trips to North Carolina, Florida State and Kentucky. However, Clemson visits Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in 2017.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2017

Whoomp, there it is. Man it would be nice to win both Clemson and FSU - that'd make us 1-3 vs CU and 2-2 vs FSU since joining the ACC, and that's pretty competitive. We have questions certainly - the OL and the DL - but if changes are made regarding the OL I think the Cards can beat FSU. I have confidence in DC Grantham and the defense to reload again.

well, the ceiling is very high for this team...I don't think there's too much to argue about there...just can we maintain consistency...so this ranking seems about right to me...bottom line is, we are in the conversation with a clear path...can't ask for much more than that this time of year.

The way we finished leaves huge ? Marks.

It's going to take real games to see if we're over it next year.

Our OL, as bad as some think they are, produced:

- 300+ yds rushing and 216 passing vs FSU compared to CU 134/374
- 414 / 370 vs Cuse to CU 199 / 370
- 163 / 390 vs NCST to CU 126 / 378
- 219 / 305 vs BC to CU 230 / 278

So regardless how many times they fell down, missed a block or just p!$$ed people off, they were good enough against common opponents to mostly surpass, but at least match the output of the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

So my take is that the OL is not our problem. Or, at least not our biggest problem(s).

Gotta love these' way to early 'guesses' on ratings' for next year. Especially since no one will remember or care about the accuracy of said predictions.

Didn't they say that UofL could not/would not 'hold up' with the big boy teams FSU and Clemson this time last year?

Well.....we saw how that worked out. SMH Nothing to see here.:confused::rolleyes:

Ummm ... Clemson beat you guys. Amazing that a lot of you seem to believe that you "won" that game. And yes, you guys beat FSU. It was one game. Pitt beat Clemson. (They also beat Penn State!). FSU finished ranked #9 with a win over Michigan, you guys finished #21 with a 3 game losing streak.

As for the "way too early guesses"? Most people picked Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama to contend, and they were right about 3 of the final 4, as well as OU finishing #5 and Michigan finishing #10. Many folks even picked an Alabama-Clemson rematch. Which you guys had a chance to foil but, er, didn't. Take care of business against Kentucky, AAC schools and bowl teams that fired their head coach and OOC midseason and playing without a QB or their best player on offense before you start crowing about how no one regards you as a title contender.

As for the "way too early guesses"? Most people picked Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama to contend, and they were right about 3 of the final 4, as well as OU finishing #5 and Michigan finishing #10. Many folks even picked an Alabama-Clemson rematch. Which you guys had a chance to foil but, er, didn't. Take care of business against Kentucky, AAC schools and bowl teams that fired their head coach and OOC midseason and playing without a QB or their best player on offense before you start crowing about how no one regards you as a title contender.

I can't argue any of your points. The end of the season was what it was. At the end of the day, 9-4 with a final ranking of #21 in the toughest division in football is a pretty good year. Next year is looking pretty good, I hope we show up like we did before the collapse. I think we will.

Reactions: Cue Card
2017 Season Starts today....Louisville like every other of the 128 FBS schools has questions....that being said you have around 110 schools that would like to have Louisville questions....return 7 Starters on Defense And the current Heisman Winner on Offense...issue I see are Lockerroom-(Team Chemistry) and replacing DeAngelo Brown on Defense and the interior of the OL...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT