ADVERTISEMENT

Satterfield Takeaways & Updates

Matt_Willinger

Jul 19, 2002
Satterfield spoke to the Central Cardinal Club last night at Cardinal Stadium. Besides the glaring sun and rising temperature in the room, a great time was had by all.

Here are couple takeaways:

Satterfield spoke without note cards or prompts about the team for the entire session, giving feedback and taking questions from the audience.

I know his record is undefeated right now, but he does come across as a genuine and likeable guy. If he can get the wins on the field, we may have our "Chris Mack" for football.

Satterfield said that running backs, wide receivers and interior linebackers were the strongest groups on the team right now.

He said the position he was most concerned about was the secondary and play of the safeties.

Coach talked more in generalities and less about singling out individual players. However, he did mention Hassan Hall, Tutu Atwell, Dorian Etheridge and CJ Avery as standouts in camp so far.

When talking about Puma Pass he remarked they were working more on the mental side of things as much as they were the physical elements. CSS said in his entire career he can't remember a player so psychologically beaten up and in his own head. For Pass, he said the ability was there, but the confidence and self-esteem needed the most attention.

CSS sure sounded like Pass was the starter and seemed to be trying to uplift him with all the encouragement. Makes sense given the statement above.

Keeping with QBs, he said that it was a position of worry for him and that if there were injuries, we'll be in for a rough season. He said there's 3 QBs on the team he could play and one is a true freshman.

He said one of the biggest changes he made was the team's accessibility to the coaching staff and certain areas of the football complex. CSS said that every coach's door is open and players have free roam of the complex to go wherever they like. Previously, he said that players weren't allowed in parts of the building and rarely, if ever, allowed upstairs in the coaching staff offices.

I picked up my UofL Schedule poster at Commonwealth Credit Union today. Long gone are the days of Teddy B or Lamar. This year's poster has the dynamic duo of Blanton Creque and Mason King. Not exactly the "Big Pretties" that Coach Strong used to refer to!

CSS said he never predicts wins and losses going into a season because so much is up in the air and depends on health. Of course, one of the first questions was his prediction on the 2019 record. C'mon people!

That's all I can remember for now. I'll be at the kick off luncheon on Monday afternoon and will try to take better notes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News