ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: Satterfield Might Add Another Defensive Piece for 2019

Mark Ennis

2500+
Apr 17, 2014
Didn't want to make a full front page article for this but wanted to keep the board aware. Louisville just added cornerback Justin Ford for 2019. He’ll enroll for the July summer semester and have a month to lift and learn before fall camp.

They might not be done. However, this one will be fluid until the very end.

Ty Tyler, a graduate transfer defensive lineman from Marshall is on the market, has visited, and very much likes what he hears from Louisville. He’d have just one year, 2019, to play.

At 6’3, 260 or so and really mobile, Louisville sees him as an ideal defensive end in their version of the 3-4. He also played inside as a quick interior rusher in some dime type sets at Marshall.

Here’s what makes this fluid for both Tyler and Louisville.

1. Tyler is understandably trying to find the best spot for him to generate NFL tape. So he’s balancing where is the best place to play that will have him on the field as much as possible but also in the spots that will best show all he’s capable of and also against competition that can’t be dismissed or overlooked. He’s likely going to visitMichigan State and Cincinnati over the next two weeks before deciding. UCF might also be involved. All are pitching some combination of playing time availability and variety of use as DT/DE/OLB to help him show out.

2. Nobody I’ve spoken to has had a bad word to say about the kid as a person. And there’s been praise for him maturing over his years at Marshall. But he’s missed some games and got on Doc Holliday’s bad side for publicly running his mouth to media about the inferiority of opponents. It was described to me as him getting on Holliday’s “can’t trust” list. So, it’s not that Satterfield and company don’t seem to like the kid or think he can’t help because I think he definitely could. But there isn’t 100% certainty he would positively *add* to the culture they’re trying to create. And they’re just not going to bend on that.

Perhaps over the next two weeks both sides will resolve whatever uncertainty there is between them and he’d come on for this season and add some depth up front? Ty positively loves Bryan Brown and the defensive staff. No matter what other schools pitch him on, Louisville has that ace in its pocket. His words, “They’re some of the best coaches I’ve ever been around.”

I suspect we’ll know more but won’t know for certain until he visits other places before making a decision. Expect his recruitment to stay quiet until he simply announces his decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News