ADVERTISEMENT

Safe to say the Satterfield honeymoon is over?

Seriously can’t believe anyone is responding to Zipp knowing that his only agenda is, After Tom everything sucks. Yes we had some left over defense after coaching changes in the recent past. After Bobby two point zero, Not so much.
Not much is changing with some posters. No data, just personal attacks. :cool:

Actually agree. Sadly the people being attacked are all currently coaching, playing or administrators for U of L.

Ok, but in year 3, Charlie beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Can we have the same expectations if we are making the same exceptions?

After Louisville went 7-6 in Charlie’s second year, what were your expectations heading into year 3?

I do recall thinking back then that we might contend for the conference championship in a league that had just replaced West Virginia with Temple. But an ACC championship is much more difficult than a Big East title - you have a 9 game ACC schedule to win the championship, versus a 7 game Big East schedule.

I wouldn’t set the bar at 11-2, but I’d have to say that a 9-win regular season and a bowl win over a top-25 SEC or Big Ten opponent would be the same level of difficulty.

If we're simply compiling won-lost records to show whether a coach is accomplishing much, Satterfield is 9-9 through his first 18 games.

I don't think that's a fair and accurate analysis for him anymore than it was for Strong, but at least let's be consistent...

Seriously can’t believe anyone is responding to Zipp knowing that his only agenda is, After Tom everything sucks. Yes we had some left over defense after coaching changes in the recent past. After Bobby two point zero, Not so much.

I agree!

Not much is changing with some posters. No data, just personal attacks. :cool:

Don't BS me Mr "Data" Head. There are 13 of your posts within this thread that you use these type responses to others:

Excuses
Data
Evidence
Analysis

I call your posting to others personal attacks. I'll give you credit for the 4 posts that you were not trying to attack.

Why don't you find another board to share your super DATA analysis evidence with?

I agree!

Don't BS me Mr "Data" Head. There are 13 of your posts within this thread that you use these type responses to others:

Excuses
Data
Evidence
Analysis

I call your posting to others personal attacks. I'll give you credit for the 4 posts that you were not trying to attack.

Why don't you find another board to share your super DATA analysis evidence with?
:eek:
Super Mic Drop

If we're simply compiling won-lost records to show whether a coach is accomplishing much, Satterfield is 9-9 through his first 18 games.

I don't think that's a fair and accurate analysis for him anymore than it was for Strong, but at least let's be consistent...

Your absolute refusal to acknowledge the shit show Satt inherited is baffling. The Jurich worship, given what transpired with Petrino, Pitino and Mark Jurich is disturbing.

Your absolute refusal to acknowledge the shit show Satt inherited is baffling...
Let's stay on topic and get back to my earlier comparison... Mack Brown inherited much the same at UNC the same time that Satterfield did. And look where he has that team.

I'm not unhappy with Satterfield, but this argument that no other coach could be doing any better is, to use your word, baffling...

Reactions: RomanOben
Let's stay on topic and get back to my earlier comparison... Mack Brown inherited much the same at UNC the same time that Satterfield did. And look where he has that team.

I'm not unhappy with Satterfield, but this argument that no other coach could be doing any better is, to use your word, baffling...

Mack Brown coached a National Championship team and would be considered one of the top coaches in the game. The guy's Bio is pretty impressive.

Mack Brown coached a National Championship team and would be considered one of the top coaches in the game. The guy's Bio is pretty impressive.
I'm not trying to marginalize Brown anymore than Satterfield or Strong during his first year here. A good coach can get immediate results with the talent he has on hand...

Reactions: RomanOben
Are you saying coach Sat didn’t ( and continues to) get results with the players he had on hand? Here is a guy with only one string too.

Last edited:

Zipp I've missed you bro!

I think you and everyone else fundamentally agree, but I think the point you're making is that you just don't want to crown him King after 1 good year.

A good coach can win immediately. Satterfield came in and immediately made the team better. He brought in a good staff and had to patch together a broken team. Now was the team that talented, but just had Bobby quit on them the previous year, I think that had a lot to do with it. But that defense was a mess.

Now there is proof that a coach shows what he can be very quickly. James Franklin had Vanderbilt ranked very quickly and he moved to Penn State and they've been a top 10-15 team consistently. Nick Saban went 7-6 his first year, but by year 2 they were a national title contender. I remember Porky Stoops when he took over Kentucky, I could tell by the first 2 Gov Cup's that he had raised their level of talent in a year. It took them a bit to have a full roster, but he brought in some good talent and raised their floor.

How does this relate to Satt? Everything is incomplete right now, but I think year 1 showed we should have confidence that this is a competent staff. A lot of coaches can fix things by recruiting and bringing in better players quickly.

This roster wasn't deep and he didn't have much time in year 1 to get a class together. His first class in 2020 was ok, but more about building depth. This one he has now is big on numbers and I think above average talent for power 5. But what he's going to have to show now is his ability to develop and win with lesser talent. Just say Tutu and Hawkins go to the draft along with Fitz this offseason, that's going to be a large drop off in skill. The line talent will be much better soon, but what happens when we have to replace Ledford (who will get a HC job very soon). I think we may get lucky next year as a lot of the starters on defense that are seniors will get that extra year, because we were looking at losing 7-8 starters.

Year 4 will be truly the year we will know how far we think he can take us as a program. Year 1 proved he's good enough to give some time as he's innovative, organized, disciplined, and the players love him. He hired a good staff. Now the next 2 years we need to see what his roster will look like after Bobby's skill leaves. We'll see if his talent development is strong enough. We'll see if he can start moving from top 40ish classes to top 30 consistently.

Now I wanted Luke Fickell to get a look (my wife is from Cincy) and thought he'd be a better fit and wish we had given him a look, but I think Scott is doing fine. No blind loyalty, but he has my support.

Reactions: zipp
Are you saying coach Sat didn’t ( and continues to) get results with the players he had on hand?...
No, I'm saying I don't wanna hear excuses about what Satterfield did NOT have when he came here last year. Not when there are examples of football coaches making lemonade out of lemons...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT