ADVERTISEMENT

VIDEO: Ron English Speaks

I know people will hate these comments but I can buy it. It is the age old question can the coach teach or are players not capable of executing, To me this is a coaching issue not a player issue. You can’t go through spring and fall without clearly understanding team dynamics. How did they not see this issue in the preseason?

I get the green dot issue. Hard to simulate speed of the game and communication via helmet. Whoever has the green dot has to process and communicate a lot of information. They adjusted to that problem too late and cost them the SMU game. I don’t get understand not knowing before the start of the season players not grasping your schemes. You can’t be 5-6 weeks in and not know your units weaknesses.

We will see if they are better against Clemson and if they avoid busted coverages. I have my doubts

I know people will hate these comments but I can buy it. It is the age old question can the coach teach or are players not capable of executing, To me this is a coaching issue not a player issue. You can’t go through spring and fall without clearly understanding team dynamics. How did they not see this issue in the preseason?

I get the green dot issue. Hard to simulate speed of the game and communication via helmet. Whoever has the green dot has to process and communicate a lot of information. They adjusted to that problem too late and cost them the SMU game. I don’t get understand not knowing before the start of the season players not grasping your schemes. You can’t be 5-6 weeks in and not know your units weaknesses.

We will see if they are better against Clemson and if they avoid busted coverages. I have my doubts
There have been massive screw ups where players were nowhere near where they were supposed to be. There have been issues with play calling and asking guys to do things they aren't best suited for.

BUT....

90% of the time when I watch - and this was 1,000% true against Miami - players just took bad angles or didn't tackle properly. Now, I don't know how you get to this level without knowing how to tackle but I feel like guys - for the most part - know what they're supposed to do and where they're supposed to be, they just don't execute the play properly. I'm not a coach, but you've got to see that and understand that you need get into these kids heads and make them understand how to properly execute the play. How to tackle with purpose and effort. How to close in on a ball carrier in a way that doesn't allow them past you.

I don't think Ron English forgot how to coach. But I also don't think he's been a very good coach ANYWHERE he's been either. I think he's a middling, mediocre coach and we're seeing a middling mediocre defense. One that can shut teams down for halves - check the Notre Dame second half and BC second half and then also get lost for big scores and not show up at all like in the Miami game where they showed no pride and allowed Miami to run over them and through them.

Ron English is the difference between UofL being a pretty good team and a great team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT