ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Thought I’d throw this out here since we always talk so much recruiting on the recruiting page - but not about our women’s team. Anyone heard or seen anything regarding recruits? I just read the Sole Williams decommitted from us and signed with Texas A&M. I had no idea that happened. So, it looks like no one in the top 100 is coming to UofL next year. Pretty shocking. They lose quite a bit next year - Carr, Jones, Robinson, Dixon and Williams. Yikes. I understand taking advantage of the transfer portal but that can be risky too. We our two tallest players next season and that is scary.

I don’t see where we have a single Top 100 player committed for 2023. Hailey is a senior next year along with Olivia. We’ve had a “next star player” ready to emerge since Angel. I like our 4 Freshman this year but I don’t see the super star.

Reactions: Bardman
Zyanna hasn’t even played (unless she got in vs Belmont). She was ranked right behind Harris. I think Harris will be pretty darn good. Yet, I agree, I don’t see someone in the FR group that screams “the big one” - but, there’s time for one or more of them to emerge. I’m concerned about the 5 spot.

Zyanna hasn’t even played (unless she got in vs Belmont). She was ranked right behind Harris. I think Harris will be pretty darn good. Yet, I agree, I don’t see someone in the FR group that screams “the big one” - but, there’s time for one or more of them to emerge. I’m concerned about the 5 spot.
I know I have no reason to be concerned by I’m kinda concerned. ND has a heck of a 23 class.

Our bench is full not a lot of room for new players and I can see other coaches using more Playing time at their university. I feel comfortable that we will be in a good position when the time comes.

If I’m coming out as a HS senior and look at our roster….. Ummm no. We have stockpiled too much talent.

Its pretty comforting to Walz that he has so much talent that he only needs to accept a top 5 rated recruit. Plus he knows there's always great players ready to hit the portal and come to Louisville.

This is the kind of thing Uconn has been about for years. When you already have a roster of great players, you have to say no to some highly rated recruits.

Truly, the only thing Jeff Walz hasn't done is win the championship. He's done everything else.

The thing about having a loaded bench is you have players learning the system in practice. When they are starters they look like they have been here for a couple of years already.

He’s never emphasized the post. He’s proven himself with wings and guards.
I understand that. On the other hand, not having the necessary size has been an issue. This year we have size (Liz and Josie) but they are sputtering right now. They are gone next year and we don’t have anyone over 6’3”. If you have the athleticism to make up for lack of height - great. I don’t see that right now.

The best teams are only getting bigger. I watched S.Carolina play Stanford and both had 6’6 and 6’7 coming off the bench… both had plenty of athletic 6’3 and 6’4 players as well. He’s going to have to snag someone out of the portal, and hope they can play. It’s getting tougher for him to win his first….

I have been as critical as anyone over our weakness (size related) when competing with tall athletic opponents in the past like NCST, Baylor, Stanfor, etc., but if this thread is related to the recent performances, and more specifically the loss to South Dakota State ……. size had nothing to do with losing. SDST tallest players were 6’1” tall and still out rebounded us by a significant margin.

Rebounding is about positioning, timing the jumps and it starts with desire ……. Emily had it all last year and she was 6’1” tall.

Reactions: rh62531
That’s why I think Alexia Mobley can be a key factor in our success. Does anyone know when she will return?

This thread was started by me back on Nov. 15. It had Nothing to do with anything that occurred in the Bahamas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT