ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

JTMPR

One-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2014
Good afternoon. I enjoy being able to read these posts and the different opinions, etc. I've
never began a new thread as I'm a UL fan from down in West KY. It is concerning a High
School recruit from the this area. His name is Tyrik Edwards. He plays for Christian County
down in the 2nd. Region. He is the 2nd. Region player of the year. He is a stud and folks
will see what I mean when they play in the State Tournament this week. By the way, this
team has not lost to a team in the state this year. We have had many, many D 1 players
from the Hopkinsville-area in recent years. He just may be the best! Thank you.

Reactions: mwdcard
Right now he's being recruited by Div 2 schools and as much as Tyler Ulis is a great player, Tyrik's size at 5-7 is a concern at the D1 level.

Yep.....no thanks. 2nd Region player of the year is a far cry from a DI player. And there have not been "many, many" DI players in "recent years."

Look, I travel the state. I certainly know about the players from Louisville, Lexington,
etc. But you are mistaken if you do not believe that Hoptown, University Heights and
Christian County do not play and compete with some of the better players in surrounding
Regions & States year end and year out. 15 miles to the South, Clarksville, Tn. The
home of All American Alex Poythress for example. Not taking anything away from him,
Anthony Hickey would more than likely not start for Christian Co. this year. You are
right Rocky Card, just food for thoughts....thank you.

Couple kids from my area are D1 potential. Both have/had UofL offers. Quentin Goodin chose Xavier I believe but David Sloan is just a junior and still holds a UofL offer. They may end up meeting your boys in state tourney.

Christian county has turned out several D1 players such as :
Bird averitt
Scotty hopson
Greg Buckner
Chris Whitney

I'm sure there are others.

There was also a guy quite a few years ago that went to University Heights and played for a big east school, St. John's? As opposed to going to UK.

PS - there are currently 3 players from the Hopkinsville-Christian County area that are in the KY top 25 HS basketball players.

Last edited:
They are many gems in smaller towns and schools. NC State had had small guards as has many other ACC schools. never write anybody off.

Look, I travel the state. I certainly know about the players from Louisville, Lexington,
etc. But you are mistaken if you do not believe that Hoptown, University Heights and
Christian County do not play and compete with some of the better players in surrounding
Regions & States year end and year out. 15 miles to the South, Clarksville, Tn. The
home of All American Alex Poythress for example. Not taking anything away from him,
Anthony Hickey would more than likely not start for Christian Co. this year. You are
right Rocky Card, just food for thoughts....thank you.

You're nuts! Hickey was Mr. Basketball for a state title team and he would "more than likely not start" for this year's team. Care if I just simply LOL at anything else you might have to say? Because I've seen dumb statements on message board but that's no doubt the dumbest. Congrats!

Reactions: mwdcard and awf
Good afternoon. I enjoy being able to read these posts and the different opinions, etc. I've
never began a new thread as I'm a UL fan from down in West KY. It is concerning a High
School recruit from the this area. His name is Tyrik Edwards. He plays for Christian County
down in the 2nd. Region. He is the 2nd. Region player of the year. He is a stud and folks
will see what I mean when they play in the State Tournament this week. By the way, this
team has not lost to a team in the state this year. We have had many, many D 1 players
from the Hopkinsville-area in recent years. He just may be the best! Thank you.

Thanks for the info. Hoptown has a history of producing quality BB players and I hope your guy makes a D1 in-state team. BTW, this board has a few snippy posters but not as many as RR. I see you've already been introduced to a couple of them.

I'm not in to arguing or belittling anyone. While, I'm certainly not taking anything away from
Anthony in any way, I was trying to point out that the guards on this years team are that good. Especially, defensively. i.e. They beat Hoptown - 4 times this year! A team that beat
a couple of teams ranked nationally in the top 25 earlier this year. By the way, remember
the name - Jalen Johnson of Hoptown. Though just a sophomore, a fantastic shooter and
a lock-down 6' 1" guard - cat quick! Coach P has his eye on him. Lastly, I saw Mr. Goodin
play last year. I liked him. I'm just wanting U of L to get some guards that are all-around
players. We've certainly got some big men coming back - I hope! All replies appreciated.
Thank you.

Yep sure hope Coach P locks up a 5'7" guard drawing DII interest. And again, completely foolish to think a Mr. Basketball who was a State Tournament MVP and multi yr DI starter "likely wouldn't start" for that team. I don't think you were belittling him but that's just a supremely dumb take

There are millions of kids playing BB.

Most have never been herd of, and there will be kids in that bunch that we will wish we had. Just as we've had kids that we, or I, wish we hadn't.

Hoptown has had some ballers. This kid may be one.

Personally? I wish he were a 6'7" 295# OL. ;)

I wasn't thrilled when coach signed Russ, I'm glad he doesn't lean on me for recruiting advice.

Hey folks, especially for this fellow that has called me stupid and now dumb, I never
said anything about who should sign the player (Evans) from Christian County. I was
stating an opinion about him being a complete player. Also, if they play as they have up
to now, I believe them to be a mighty tough out @ the State Tournament. However, I
do think the Johnson kid will be nice D1 prospect in 2018. Again, just my opinion.
Thank you.

Appreciatte the info. Can you tell us about the Sebree kid or the Hollowell kid dwn there? Hoptwn/Christian Co. probably produces,per capita,the most D1 talent in KY. Scotty Hopson (TN),Isiah Victor(TN),Lamont Barnes(Temple),Harold Swanagan (Notre Dame),Greg Buckner(Clemson/NBA),Chris Whitney(Clemson/NBA),Tony Lovan(WKU),TaShawn Edmondson (St Johns/Austin Peay),Anthony Hickey (LSU/OK St),Tobiah Hopper(U of L), & many many others that went mid major and had solid careers. Don't mind the folks acting like kids on here. Just keep the info coming. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: LockdownCard
Hoptown has also had some hellacious football and baseball teams. Like Owensboro, they are a sports crazed city.

Sergio Luyk was one of the first players from University Heights Academy in Christian county. He was recruited by LSU but chose to play for St. John's. Luyk was 6-7 and unfortunately passed away at age 36 from cancer.

I remember the Luyk kid. Darren Allaway went to Stanford after playing for UHA. Marty Cline went to Morehead St. Andre Buckner went to Duke. Ravi Moss got clock at Kentucky. CJ Pepper(AR St),Corey Wilford (Southeast MO),& Donavan Kates (Manhattan) went to Christian Co. Also one of the highest flyers to ever play in KY Lamont Ware (Austin Peay) is from Hop-twn.

Have been traveling out on business today. However, I appreciate devilschild, bobalouisville,
Senore2006, etc. for trying to take up for me. For the J fellow, no I do not have any children
nor am I involved in those programs. I have had nephews, great nephews/nieces involved
in the past. In fact, a little history, I go back to the Austin Peay days with 'Fly Williams'. I had
more than one class with him before I was drafted in the VN War at the end of my junior year.
By the way, one of the most exciting offensive players that I had ever seen. For many years,
I would say the best 'white' high school player to come out of the West KY. was Rex Chapman.

Oh, but those were the good 'ol days. Thank you for reminding me. Yes, I traveled to many
games to see Lamont Ware (could jump out the gym) and company - including winning the
state champ. I love to talk sports and I'm one of a few here that now pulls for UofL. By the
way, there's a player down outside of Nashville that UofL would like to have. Also, I hear
that there's one in the Memphis area as well. I have business associates in the area and
I'll try and pass along some info when I can confirm. I enjoy this site, the different
opinions, the posts (especially those with passion), etc. I may mistake or two, but I do
appreciate listening and learning as well as keeping up with the Cards. Yes, and maybe
interjecting a thought or two from time to time. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT