ADVERTISEMENT

Reality Check

Thecycle27

Three-Star Poster
Sep 17, 2017
College football is set up to reward the best brands in the game. Everything from exposure, dollars, coaching, playoffs and recruiting is built to ensure those brands are playing in the playoffs. The system doesn't want Cinderella it wants brands. As long as the TV money comes in the sport will be fine.

Louisville, Kentucky, or Purdue aren't college football brands, The reality is Louisville will never be on a college football powerhouse. They should be a good program with years on pushing the envelope. That has pretty much been been the history. Even with this version of Petrino that is who Lousiville has been. This year has been a epic fail and now a change is going to happen. By the way this would be a great behavioral study on what really happened.

The $14 million dollar question is who do you replace him with knowing the above. Brohm is the obvious choice because he is the one guy the will energize the fanbase and have the immediate trust of the base. I think he would improve recruiting instantly. What you are agreeing too is 5M, more than we are paying now, to win on a consistent basis 8 games a year with an occasional magical season. Which is no different than what has happened the last 5 years. That is what the history of Louisville football tells you. What history also tells is this fanbase doesn't fanatically support 7 or 8 win teams even with a Heisman candidate.

Don't be surprised if Brohm doesn't come and the new coach is on the cheap. You can find a bunch of coaches that can achieve that kind of success. The challenge is you have to find the right guy that is the right fit. That may be Brohm, but that is a steep price based on the history of the program.

Well thecycle27 your post makes good points. The problem with going “on the cheap” for a new coach is that the fan base will continue to diminish their ticket buying and the deep moneyed pocket folks will still continue their reluctance until this “cheap” coach proves himself. And believe me that’s a major issue.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Well thecycle27 your post makes good points. The problem with going “on the cheap” for a new coach is that the fan base will continue to diminish their ticket buying and the deep moneyed pocket folks will still continue their reluctance until this “cheap” coach proves himself. And believe me that’s a major issue.

The one thing about the fanbase is does have a solid 35-40K that will support the program as long as they believe in the hire. Does Brohm really move the financial situation that much? Pitino moved the $$$ for the program outside of his on court performance. Does Brohm do the same? Again, Brohm is the obvious choice, but reality that is a educated gamble anyone else at the 4M price tag is just a gamble. I am saying make a educated gamble at 3 or 3.5M if Brohm isn't the guy.

The one thing about the fanbase is does have a solid 35-40K that will support the program as long as they believe in the hire. Does Brohm really move the financial situation that much? Pitino moved the $$$ for the program outside of his on court performance. Does Brohm do the same? Again, Brohm is the obvious choice, but reality that is a educated gamble anyone else at the 4M price tag is just a gamble. I am saying make a educated gamble at 3 or 3.5M if Brohm isn't the guy.
You could make the educated gamble at 2-2.5M if you pull from one of the young guns that isn’t even making 7 figures at a G5 right now.

I would look at Mike Elko. He basically saved Brian Kelly. Elko was at Wake when they had really solid defenses. Kelly hired him after he fired BVG. Notre Dame instantly got better on defense. Elko left for Texas A&M and Clark Lea was promoted at Notre Dame. Elko is young never been a head coach, but he can coach defense. I am more inclined to go defense because it is the most difficult unit to coach in college football. They tend to have more physical teams than offensive minded coaches.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I have no issues with hiring a guy that has never been a head coach. A true valuation of his career would be in order. We hired Bobby the first time and he’d never been a head coach. Also, a guy by the name of Charlie Strong comes to mind.

You know the consequences of hiring a young, cheap guy, who had never been a HC. He'll be poached.

Petrino and Strong.both were poached after 4 years.

This time it would be 2 or 3 years, that big schools would snake him because of their impatience.

Just like Mack was the only answer in basketball, Brohm is the only answer for football.

Do we really need to speak about reality? OK. Let's speak about reality. As difficult as this is to say, I have to (holding my nose) give credit to Rick Bozich for laying out reality in his article yesterday.

Bozich pointed out that Louisville football has allowed 50 points or more 5 times this season. No other Power Five team has allowed 50 points five times this season.

More reality? He goes on to point out that as bad as Ron Cooper and Steve Kragthorpe were, they didn't have teams putting up over 50 on them 5 times in 1 year.

Read reality if you want, but make sure to hold your nose first.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/39457918/bozich-or-louisville-football-losing-more-than-games

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT