ADVERTISEMENT

** Quick Hits - Walz watch **

Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
It has been forever since I have posted, and for that I apologize. No more delay, let's jump right into it.

- Jeff Walz is one of the best women's basketball coaches in the country, no doubt. What he has done with Louisville has been nothing short of amazing.

- This program had VERY little success before he got here and now if they stopped at a Sweet 16 feels like an underachieving season.

- It is not secret that Tennessee wants Jeff Walz and has wanted him for a while. Holly Warlick getting fired today was also no surprise.

- Just before Warlick was fired, here is what Jeff had to say in his press conference:

- Alright so now that Tennessee DOESN'T have a coach, what happens next? Well, they pursue Walz. With several other backup plans.

- Tennessee would have to make Jeff an offer in the $2 mill a year range, in my opinion. And I think he's worth that. Walz is currently in the 1.1 range base, but with bonuses that annually push to $1.5 million.

- Here's the thing - Tennessee has that kind of money if they want to spend it. Over $40 million a year from the SEC provides a lot of wiggle room.

- But would Walz leave? He has said more times that I can count that he will either retire here or get fired here, but I also realize that things have changed in the management structure here since the time he started making that statement over and over again.

- When I traveled to UConn to cover the Louisville women vs. UConn game in Connecticut, the thing that stuck out to me was how many UConn fans just assumed that Walz would take over for Geno when he left. It was an open talking point among them.

- If I have heard all that talk, well certainly Tyra has and Tennessee has. And perhaps Tennessee is thinking they could beat UConn to that punch?

- For Vince, it is another test of his ability to retain talent and make wise choices with UofL's money. If Tennessee pushes to $2 million a year is it worth it to match? I would say yes, but an accountant - looking at the expenses for women's basketball - would probably say no.

- On a side note, revenues for WBB's tournament is not shared with teams and you get no extra money if you are the #1 team or the 100th team according to the NCAA. Isn't that crazy? Here's more on that from the Courier: https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...-jeff-walz-ncaa-revenue-final-four/469927002/

Reactions: Cap'n Jim
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News