ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue should be furious.

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
The hardest job in America must be a college basketball referee. I just watched Purdue get totally robbed by a ref who didn't call a foul on a layup with 3 seconds to go. The Purdue players arm was almost ripped off and the ref was right there. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm not a Purdue fan but if I were I would be throwing everything loose in my living room after seeing that.

This season has been one of the worse I can remember with officiating. The women's game is even more brutal. It must be just too difficult a job to be consistent.

I saw it differently. I didn't see a foul. I saw a Purdue player slip (and walk) with the defensive players hand/missing the offensive player's arm. The slip made it look like a foul. Maybe I missed a camera angle as I was doing other things at the time as well.

I think there was contact, but that a no-call was warranted, especially in that circumstance. The Purdue player tried to make a violent step through move at the last second, lost his footing, and brought his arms across the arms of a defensive player who had legal guarding position. Now, at that point you could make an argument for a foul because the defender lowered his arm a bit when they got tangled, but I feel like the damage was already done at the point in terms of the Purdue player being out of control and trying a move that simply wasn't there.

Reactions: American Male
I rewound the DVR several times and it was a clear foul. Watch the Little Rock player reach in a pull on the Purdue players arm and then quickly pull back and hold his hands up like "Not me". It coincided with the Purdue players momentum so it looked like he was out of control.

I rewound the DVR several times and it was a clear foul. Watch the Little Rock player reach in a pull on the Purdue players arm and then quickly pull back and hold his hands up like "Not me". It coincided with the Purdue players momentum so it looked like he was out of control.
I could see that viewpoint when looking at it in slow motion, but in real time that is a difficult call to make. And I still think, even if there was sufficient contact to call a foul, the Purdue player attempted a move that was not there and was out of control, which caused the contact (or at least the severity of the contact).

The guy reached in a grabbed his arm. That's a foul. Period! I don't care if the ball handler was out of control, slipped or whatever. His arm was pulled back making him lose the ball. Now maybe it was all too fast for the ref to see but the ref was right there. I think it was this notion to let the players determine the outcome in the final seconds that led to a non whistle. It happened to Hammons earlier in that overtime when a Little rock player grabbed Hammons wrist causing the ball to go out of bounds. They went to the monitor to see who it was out on and the replay showed a clear foul. Purdue was robbed in this game.

The guy reached in a grabbed his arm. That's a foul. Period! I don't care if the ball handler was out of control, slipped or whatever. His arm was pulled back making him lose the ball. Now maybe it was all too fast for the ref to see but the ref was right there. I think it was this notion to let the players determine the outcome in the final seconds that led to a non whistle. It happened to Hammons earlier in that overtime when a Little rock player grabbed Hammons wrist causing the ball to go out of bounds. They went to the monitor to see who it was out on and the replay showed a clear foul. Purdue was robbed in this game.

In their defense, Purdue did a pretty impressive job of blowing the game.

In their defense, Purdue did a pretty impressive job of blowing the game.
They did by not going to their big man but that little dude for Little Rock was making 30 footers and fade away jumpers. The game was just meant to be one of those 12 over 5 upsets.

Officiating basketball isn't easy. It is so fast and physical it is very hard to catch everything. With that being said...with three refs out there who do what they do all the time I expect consistency. That is sorely missing in WBB for some reason. And as mentioned...angles are critical. Face it - as a player you learn where the refs are and what you may be able to get away with. As a ref you stuck with 'that moment' of what you see and that is tough.

The hardest job in America must be a college basketball referee. I just watched Purdue get totally robbed by a ref who didn't call a foul on a layup with 3 seconds to go. The Purdue players arm was almost ripped off and the ref was right there. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm not a Purdue fan but if I were I would be throwing everything loose in my living room after seeing that.

This season has been one of the worse I can remember with officiating. The women's game is even more brutal. It must be just too difficult a job to be consistent.
the yanking of the arm is what caused all the awkward movements. it looked like a foul live to me and the replay was obvious.

the purdue center hacked across the wrist of the LR player earlier and it was a no call though

All the delays at the end of the game are getting out of hand. Purdue got 2 extra TO worth of review time at the end of the game when they were out of time outs

Last edited:

Even re-watching it does not change my opinion. To me, it looked like he traveled. That back foot slid BEFORE any contact was made. He lost his balance, tried to force it out of desperation. Also, the contact (arm tangle) looked to be initiated by the ball handler. Overall, I still feel like a good no call.

In the end, the results stand. Purdue can be mad, but they should be mad at themselves for letting it be that close. For not hitting 1 more basket for a few more free throws.

Reactions: TCurtis75
I didn't see te foul but I'm not saying there wasn't contact. If there was Little Rock more than likely got the benefit of the doubt because Perdue player was out of control

Even re-watching it does not change my opinion. To me, it looked like he traveled. That back foot slid BEFORE any contact was made. He lost his balance, tried to force it out of desperation. Also, the contact (arm tangle) looked to be initiated by the ball handler. Overall, I still feel like a good no call.

In the end, the results stand. Purdue can be mad, but they should be mad at themselves for letting it be that close. For not hitting 1 more basket for a few more free throws.
Looks like a foul to me.

Last edited:
Purdue player was out of control, walked, got his arm wrapped up with the opposing player and tried to sell it by taking a dive.

Purdue player was out of control, walked, got his arm wrapped up with the opposing player and tried to sell it by taking a dive.
Ridiculous! If that would had been the Cards every one of you would be saying the same thing. He was fouled!The replay is as clear as it can be and the still photograph in this thread proves it even more. The Little Rock player pulled his hands back because he knew he had grabbed the guys arm. The argument here should be about the ref not having a angle to see it or not, not if there wasn't a foul because there clearly was.

Ridiculous! If that would had been the Cards every one of you would be saying the same thing. He was fouled!The replay is as clear as it can be and the still photograph in this thread proves it even more. The Little Rock player pulled his hands back because he knew he had grabbed the guys arm. The argument here should be about the ref not having a angle to see it or not, not if there wasn't a foul because there clearly was.

If it was so clear, I think we would all be in agreement. Since none of us have a vested interest in the teams playing (presumably)... which would imply we are objective and we are split... then it's not so clear.

If it was so clear, I think we would all be in agreement. Since none of us have a vested interest in the teams playing (presumably)... which would imply we are objective and we are split... then it's not so clear.
I don't know how those still photographs can be any more clearer. The guys arm is being grabbed, regardless if he was out of control.

I don't know how those still photographs can be any more clearer. The guys arm is being grabbed, regardless if he was out of control.

The problem with using a still photograph to judge a moving incident is (a) you lack the context and (b) the angles make a difference. For example, if the ball handler initiated contact, it is not a foul, but the picture may look bad still.

Regardless, let's say in super slow mo or still photos it is clear... it certainly was not clear in real time... and that is what the refs have to go by.

Reactions: TCurtis75
Temple are the ones that should be furious. That was as blatant a push off as you will see on the final rebound/tip in.

As the play unfolded live I thought the refs missed a walk. Didn't see the foul. If it takes still photos to prove your point then so be it, but the foul was not obvious live. I hope that you can recover from this injustice though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT