ADVERTISEMENT

Pressure mounting on name change for Rupp Arena

Sawyer

1500+
Aug 3, 2001
The Courier Journal’s John Clay wrote an extensive front page feature in Sunday’s paper that included interviews and statements from several people, including professors, local citizens, past athletes, etc. that had various opinions about the issues being raised regarding Rupp’s supposed racist tendencies. Not a good look for UK but it does praise Joe B. Hall and his efforts to integrate the basketball team. Worth the read.

Reactions: gocds
The Courier Journal’s John Clay wrote an extensive front page feature in Sunday’s paper that included interviews and statements from several people, including professors, local citizens, past athletes, etc. that had various opinions about the issues being raised regarding Rupp’s supposed racist tendencies. Not a good look for UK but it does praise Joe B. Hall and his efforts to integrate the basketball team. Worth the read.
I think Hall deserves more credit than they seem to give him.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Stupid is as stupid does. More of the ridiculous cancel culture going on in this Country. When are we going to change the name of Jefferson County?

So you are comparing Thomas Jefferson with Adolph Rupp? Let’s see one of those came after the Emancipation Proclamation.

I agree that that is a silly and ridiculous comparison. But, in fact, the name “Rupp” Arena seems to have a short life. But what will they name the arena and how much support will they have from the cayut faithful? I’d guess not much.

GO CARDS!!!

So you are comparing Thomas Jefferson with Adolph Rupp? Let’s see one of those came after the Emancipation Proclamation.
Well Jefferson was a slave owner and Rupp wasn't so I guess we need to rename the County ASAP and worry about the arena later.

Names of places change... A lot of people were bent out of shape when they changed the name of the Sears Tower in Chicago. There are still people who refuse to use the new name. That was done based on money. UK should follow that example. Find a sponsor, like AT&T, Lexmark, Joe Bologna's, whoever, and put their name on the Arena. Tell everyone with a straight face you did it to make money.

Names of places change... A lot of people were bent out of shape when they changed the name of the Sears Tower in Chicago. There are still people who refuse to use the new name. That was done based on money. UK should follow that example. Find a sponsor, like AT&T, Lexmark, Joe Bologna's, whoever, and put their name on the Arena. Tell everyone with a straight face you did it to make money.
Names of sports venues are particularly at risk to change. We don't have to look any farther than our own football stadium. Also, when the Dolphins moved into their new stadium in 1987, it was called Joe Robbie Stadium. It has had 7 name changes since.

I hope they don’t back down.

This is a slippery slope. I’m black, for starters. There’s a difference between confederate generals and slave owners than some ok’d fat white guy from the 1950’s who wasn’t forward thinking.

If you blur those lines, then every person from the past is fair game. MLK called homosexuality a “problem” and wait until he’s canceled for that.

So because it happened prior to the EP its okay? Got it.
Not what I’m saying. It wasn’t illegal to own slaves then (should have been but it wasn’t). Only 3 presidents prior to Abraham Lincoln didn’t own slaves back then.
My point is EP was signed in 1862 so Rupp over 80 years after it was signed still hadn’t accepted it. Hell there’s plenty out there that still don’t. Let that sink in.

Not what I’m saying. It wasn’t illegal to own slaves then (should have been but it wasn’t). Only 3 presidents prior to Abraham Lincoln didn’t own slaves back then.
My point is EP was signed in 1862 so Rupp over 80 years after it was signed still hadn’t accepted it. Hell there’s plenty out there that still don’t. Let that sink in.

Rupp still owned slaves 80 years after the EP? I'm trying but failing on letting that sink in.

Reactions: teamcanada
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT