ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Thanksgiving Day Heisman Rankings

Whose rankings are these? If Lamar is at 3 then that bodes well to get an invite to NY.

Jackson's stats vs Love are interesting.

Rushed for more yards and yards per carry last week. Season total in TDs is one more than Love.

The award should be for the best player overall - especially when they are out shining a single position player.

Reactions: American Male
The award is Supposed to go to The Best OVERALL Player in the country...NOT a good player on one of the bet teams in the country...Teams filled with 4 and 5 Star Players make it easier to have good stats...Let's see these other guys do what LJ has with the same amount of talent, or LACK thereof, around him/them!!!

:cool:

Meanwhile NFL pundits on Lamar Jackson...

USA Today

1. Cleveland Browns | Lamar Jackson | QB | Louisville
The Browns don’t seem sold enough on DeShone Kizer to not consider taking a quarterback here. All of this year’s top passers have their flaws, but Jackson’s explosiveness and athleticism gives him a weapon that sets him apart from the rest of the pack. He’s shown marked improvement as a pocket passer this year, and has as much upside as any player in this class.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/...ft-updated-4-round-projections-after-week-11/

CBS Sports

1. Cleveland Browns
Lamar Jackson QB, Louisville. Jackson's the best quarterback prospect in this class, the Browns need a quarterback and are picking first. This isn't difficult. He'd give the Browns a dynamic weapon on offense who just happens to be a quite polished quarterback prospect too. Hue Jackson would love having Jackson as his starter -- if he's still coaching in Cleveland in 2018.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...it-the-reset-button-at-qb-with-mason-rudolph/

Pro Football Focus

3. LAMAR JACKSON, LOUISVILLE – 90.8 OVERALL GRADE
1712-3Jackson.jpg

Game Grade vs Syracuse: 90.5

While the stat sheet was very similar to last week’s effort against Virginia, Jackson played a much better game this week against Syracuse. He threw two fantastic deep passes, first on a deep crosser and later dropped one in the bucket on a “go” route for a 29-yard touchdown. Jackson was his usual dynamic self as a runner, as he finished with 120 yards and two scores on only 11 carries. While he took good care of the ball, Jackson’s accuracy generally teeters between showing off tight-window NFL throws to missing open throws, and those were on display this week as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-qb-rankings-after-week-12

NFL.com

LAMAR JACKSON NOT GETTING HIS DUE

It's uncommon for a returning Heisman Trophy winner to barely register a blip on the radar when it comes to discussions about the top prospects at his position, but that's the situation Lamar Jacksonseems to find himself in. Despite having a better season in 2017 than he did in his award-winning 2016 campaign, the Louisville standout is routinely cited as an afterthought in the vaunted potential 2018 quarterback class.

Why?

Why isn't there more love for a spectacular athlete with 114 total touchdowns (65 passing; 49 rushing scores) and gradually improving completion rates as a passer?

Skeptics worry about his frame, but he is noticeably bigger and thicker than a season ago. That's helped him become a more physical and effective runner on the perimeter.

As a passer, Jackson displays outstanding arm strength and range. He can push the ball down the field as an effective vertical passer on post and go routes. Although he struggles a bit with his ball placement and accuracy on home-run balls due to his shoddy footwork and fundamentals, Jackson has the capacity to strike up the band as a long-ball tosser.

I place UCLA's Josh Rosen and USC's Sam Darnold in the top tier of college QBs, but after those two, Jackson deserves to be in the mix with QBs who seem to be receiving more buzz than Jackson, like Wyoming's Josh Allen and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield.

When I've discussed Jackson with scouting colleagues, I've heard him described as a "wow" athlete with intriguing talent. An AFC scout told me that he is a "create-a-player" playmaker with a set of skills that are typically associated with five-star players in video games. On the other hand, I've had plenty of scouts tell me that Jackson is more of a thrower than a passer and his sub-60 percent completion rate (59.8 percent this season) reflects his struggles with accuracy and ball placement.

In a league where passers are coveted at a premium, it's hard to sell an athletic quarterback with a run-first game to scouts and coaches looking for a polished pocket passer. That's why I wanted to check back in with Jackson to see if he has made enough progress as a passer to warrant consideration as a potential franchise quarterback at the next level.

After studying the All-22 coaches' footage, I believe Jackson is an exceptional athlete with a combination of speed, explosiveness and burst that is hard to find in a quarterback.

The 6-foot-3, 211-pound junior is a dynamic runner with a slippery running style that makes him nearly impossible to corral in the pocket. He excels on designed runs (QB draws, sweeps and zone-read plays) and is a defensive coordinator's nightmare as an improvisational playmaker. Jackson's average of 6.8 yards per carry this season is nearly a yard better than his average from his Heisman campaign. He has posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons as a runner while scoring 28 rushing touchdowns.

That doesn't mean that Jackson shouldn't be considered a top prospect at his position. We've seen more NFL teams implement spread systems with simplistic reads if the quarterback flashes exceptional playmaking ability as a dual-threat (see Deshaun Watson, Cam Newton and Russell Wilson). With that in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see a team place a solid grade on Jackson that reflects his potential to be a franchise QB. -- Bucky Brooks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ggest-nfl-draft-risers-scouting-lamar-jackson

Last edited:
Reactions: vegasville1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT