ADVERTISEMENT

Potential positive lineup change

J_Lewis0117

Two-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2020
This might seem questionable to some people, but I think a favorable scenario right now would be to have Wheeler in the starting five instead of Curry. If you think about it, having Wheeler play next to guys like Withers, Ellis, James and Huntley-Hatfield could do wonders for him, because he can just focus on rebounding and blocking shots while the other 4 do the scoring. In Curry’s case, this would free him up in the post if he’s playing with Miller, Traynor and Lands. Those three guys are all suited for the perimeter, and aren’t as big of a body as him. Being the only true low post threat among those 4 could help him out significantly, rather than worrying about another inside-outside big man (BHH) next to him. Just an observation, you all may disagree w me. But let me know what you think

This might seem questionable to some people, but I think a favorable scenario right now would be to have Wheeler in the starting five instead of Curry. If you think about it, having Wheeler play next to guys like Withers, Ellis, James and Huntley-Hatfield could do wonders for him, because he can just focus on rebounding and blocking shots while the other 4 do the scoring. In Curry’s case, this would free him up in the post if he’s playing with Miller, Traynor and Lands. Those three guys are all suited for the perimeter, and aren’t as big of a body as him. Being the only true low post threat among those 4 could help him out significantly, rather than worrying about another inside-outside big man (BHH) next to him. Just an observation, you all may disagree w me. But let me know what you think
I think a change maybe is needed and you're right its logical that Curry probably needs to come off the bench, but I don't think Rosie is polished enough. I think if you can convince Ellis to be the 2 and let Miller handle the ball more might be more effective. Problem is getting the ball out of Ellis's hands until he's in a position to score.

I think a change maybe is needed and you're right its logical that Curry probably needs to come off the bench, but I don't think Rosie is polished enough. I think if you can convince Ellis to be the 2 and let Miller handle the ball more might be more effective. Problem is getting the ball out of Ellis's hands until he's in a position to score.
He's definitely not polished enough, but I think it's a better situation for him to be in the starting five with El, Mike, Jaelyn and Brandon because like I said he doesn't have to focus on being a primary source of offense. So far, there's a drop-off when the bench unit comes in. Imagine having Curry, who was putting up 24-28 point games last year, being that spark to help string the second unit along offensively. Ellis obviously can't keep playing 40 minutes a game, so Miller is going to have to further become accustomed to becoming the lone ball handler on the floor at times. But I think it would be favorable for Ellis to have 5-10 minutes a game to strictly focus on scoring the ball, and then 20 mins to focus on running the offense.

I would love if we did a lineup of El - Mike - Withers - JJ - BHH and went zone but I don't think that will happen

Reactions: J_Lewis0117
Until Curry gets back to the effort he was showing late last season, it might be a good idea to bring him off the bench.

Wheeler is raw but with some more PT I think he could give us some good minutes as a starter. I'm not sure how much this would or would not help the team's play, but might be worth a shot.

Reactions: Mayoman
Until Curry gets back to the effort he was showing late last season, it might be a good idea to bring him off the bench.

Wheeler is raw but with some more PT I think he could give us some good minutes as a starter. I'm not sure how much this would or would not help the team's play, but might be worth a shot.

I’ll go one step further. If a guy isn’t giving too effort, he should sit. That’s part of the learning process.

Reactions: rh62531
I’ll go one step further. If a guy isn’t giving too effort, he should sit. That’s part of the learning process.
I agree. I'd say make Curry come off the bench to send him a message. Then, if he still shows little effort, he's staying on the bench.

After the first few games why not?

At least Roosevelt looks like he wants to compete. He may not be polished but he's tall and he's trying. Being so big his mistakes might be cringe but he might help eliminate at least a few layups from the other team. He'd probably pick up 2 fouls before the first TV time-out but at least they'd probably be effort fouls.

The issue is not that we don't have enough big men. The issue is getting the ball to them in a position to score or be effective. So unless the guard play changes, it might not matter who's starting.

Reactions: rentalman
other teams will keep targeting Curry's defense because he's overweight and slow.
if you move the ball enough, he will get switched onto the point guard. opponents get wide open shots when that happens.

Wheeler unfortunately gets lost on defense easily. if he can figure it out, he will be better.

Unfortunately, the guy you were advocating to get the start didn't even come off the bench. 0 minutes. Would love to hear an explanation by Payne. If I was going to send a message to someone, it wouldn't have been Wheeler. He could have dominated guys down low.

Unfortunately, the guy you were advocating to get the start didn't even come off the bench. 0 minutes. Would love to hear an explanation by Payne. If I was going to send a message to someone, it wouldn't have been Wheeler. He could have dominated guys down low.
Yea. Something must be going on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT