ADVERTISEMENT

Portal watch

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Hopefully we can track roster turnover here.
First one I’ve seen - Carson Liggett. Makes me wonder if he ever, fully recovered to his pre-injury self.

Hopefully we can track roster turnover here.
First one I’ve seen - Carson Liggett. Makes me wonder if he ever, fully recovered to his pre-injury self.
Wonder that as well. He was very solid last year.

I fully expect to see more pitcher’s names. Hopefully we don’t see any of the young guys we have seen who pitched pretty well.

This is where it gets messy. Liggett and Gundy weren’t great but they have legit stuff. Both in the low to mid 90’s with decent off speed stuff. Good pieces to a staff. I would argue someone like Koger would be a good loss. Now they have to go in the portal and find better. That is challenging.

I have crushed the pitching staff but I would be shocked if college baseball scoring is way up in 2024. College pitching as a whole isn’t very good or hitters are getting better.

It will be interesting to watch.

Curious to know where I can find info about ongoing transfer portal subtractions or additions.

I fully expect to see more pitcher’s names. Hopefully we don’t see any of the young guys we have seen who pitched pretty well.
I saw West throwing at Patterson the other day. Good sign. We need to keep as many Sophomores here as possible and build around that class.

Reactions: Bardman
Coming in: Nate Early, Juco 1B/DH, Soph, 6’3”, 210lbs.

Will Koger in the portal.
Not surprised just never developed. A guy that throws 95-96 gets torched is a guy that doesn’t locate pitches. There is something about his delivery as well, hitters see his pitches really well.

Reactions: rh62531
Dang, Kilen has hit the portal. Demling says we can expect around 12 or so players to also enter the portal.

• Wow
Reactions: earsky
This is why leaning on development is not going to work in this current environment. They will lose guys they developed. At the end players have to do what is best for them. Way too many option for these players to explore. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing if those players are a problem locker room.

I really think the staff thought players would stay loyal to them and that was a bad idea to trust kids and their parents.

Never thought things were right after Mac sat Kilen for a few games back in early April I think.
Still,I’m baffled a bit by this one. Just reading body language,he wasn’t the only one that didn’t like the competition for playing time. Idk,so much for keeping the Sophomores together.

Not surprised just never developed. A guy that throws 95-96 gets torched is a guy that doesn’t locate pitches. There is something about his delivery as well, hitters see his pitches really well.
He’s the perfect example of a guy that didn’t have anything to go along with that fastball that he couldn’t locate. Relegated to spot duty. Wish him well.

Never thought things were right after Mac sat Kilen for a few games back in early April I think.
Still,I’m baffled a bit by this one. Just reading body language,he wasn’t the only one that didn’t like the competition for playing time. Idk,so much for keeping the Sophomores together.
I don’t get this either. The guy started for two years. Is he looking for more NIL?

Reactions: earsky
I don’t get this either. The guy started for two years. Is he looking for more NIL?
It wouldn't surprise me if he was tampered with, recruited outside of the rules. He's a hell of a ball player. SEC bound is my guess.

Right now we have:

Transfers in (2)
Jake Munroe
Nate Early

Transfers out (14)
Liggett
Anderson
Grundy
Dickerson
Koger
Kilen
Crow
Howard
Davis
Tyson
Klug
Vierling (ouch)
Murphy
Snyder

Last edited:
Right now we have:

Transfers in (2)
Jake Munroe
Nate Early

Transfers out (14)
Liggett
Anderson
Grundy
Dickerson
Koger
Kilen
Crow
Howard
Davis
Tyson
Klug
Vierling (ouch)
Murphy
Snyder
I'm gonna guess more than half are pitchers that either weren't playing because they were underperforming or were being redshirted.

Right now we have:

Transfers in (2)
Jake Munroe
Nate Early

Transfers out (14)
Liggett -P
Anderson - IF
Grundy - P
Dickerson - OF
Koger - P
Kilen -SS
Crow - P
Howard.- P
Davis - P
Tyson - C
Klug - P
Vierling (ouch) - C
Murphy - P
Snyder - P
That is very telling. What does this say about our pitching coach?

I think South Carolina interest is real and Dan is moving on. I can’t blame him I don’t think Louisville has the NIL to compete in ACC. Their whole world shifted 3-4 years ago. He hasn’t been able to attract money and the athletic department had bigger problems.

Hell of a run. Not sure we will see that kind of run again.

Reactions: rh62531
I think all these departures may be pointing to Coach McDonnell taking the SCAR job. The players would surely know before anyone in the media that their coach may decide to move on?

Plus there's only two transfers coming in so far and that may attest to the belief Coach Mac may not be here.

I think all these departures may be pointing to Coach McDonnell taking the SCAR job. The players would surely know before anyone in the media that their coach may decide to move on?

Plus there's only two transfers coming in so far and that may attest to the belief Coach Mac may not be here.
I think most of the departures are roster management. There are 18 hs and 4 juco players inbound and only 40 roster spots.

That's interesting with the HS commits. If Mac does leave, many of them may want out of the commitment.

Whatever happens we should know soon.

Everything that I know about Dan, tells me he would be disinclined to leave a job under the present circumstances. The arrival of Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC is going to make it more difficult for schools like South Carolina to compete for conference relevance. The ongoing changes within the college sports make the environment less predictable than ever before.

Dan has to be wanted by someone else before he can go somewhere else. My understanding is yes, Dan is on SC's list but he's not on top of the list... Let's see how this plays out. The other thing that stands out on Dan's resume is the very last statement, "the Cardinals have not been to Omaha since 2019....

My general thought is Dan will leave if he is offered but that may never happen. The fact he has been silent since the end of the season indicates to me he waiting to see how the SC job plays out. He also has to have real NIL discussions with Heird/502.

I tend to agree the transfers are needed. There is really only 1 guy that will be tough to replace. All the pitchers were average that can be replaced as long as they have good evaluations.

Watching many of these road games shows that U of L is gonna need some major investment in its facilities over the next decade. Most of these schools now have what we have or better. The Coach sees that too...

Reactions: MikeyAFitz
Here's a thought that maybe someone with more knowledge and insight might provide. Don't know the history but I believe U of L was one of the first so call northern schools to use artificial turf as their playing surface. As a consequence, it allowed a lot of northern teams (some on their way down to Florida) to schedule games in late February and March. It also gave U of L an advantage over a lot of these schools, the ability to practice even in inclement weather. Now it seems that a lot of teams have gone to artificial surfaces, including UK, in recent years that maybe it has negated the big advantage we used to get in our nonconference schedule and leveled the playing field (no pun intended) for other teams. It hasn't really come to play in Omaha yet with almost every team being located south of the Mason Dixon line this year but teams like Michigan in 2019 and ND have been close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT