ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino really got dissed postgame by Va Tech coaches

Birdie King

6000+
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2002
Buzz and his four assistants never said a word to Rick and never even looked him in the eye as they shook hands and blew by. I've never seen anything like that. What poor sportsmanship. The ACC office should hold them accountable.

Probably a good thing they didn't look at each other. The Stooge look alike Curly AKA Buzz might have poked Pitino in both of his eyes. There's not much love between those two as I remember.

Reactions: ACCCard and Deeva
Buzz probably just was hurrying to get into the locker room to change his sweat-drenched shirt.

Reactions: rockycard
Pitino should have raked a saw over Curly's head...and then said "Oh look!" showing us all the bent jagged teeth....

CurlyHoward.jpg
espnapi_dm_140321_ncb_Buzz_Williams_Hired_by_Virginia_Tech_wmain.jpg

Which one is Curly again????

Last edited:
Well it was nothing like what Coach K did when The Dukies lost. He shook a few hands and then just left the hand shaking line withou shaking the hands of the opposing players. As far as I know, nothing came from it.

Reactions: pervisl
Yep. Its just emotions. No biggie.
They had done everything they could and still lost to an artillery barrage. The moment was too raw. I don't recall there being any particularly bad feelings between the staff even when we won the "miracle on main".

Reactions: ACCCard
Williams soon after departed for Virginia Tech and was named the new Hokie head coach on March 21, 2014, in a move that had other coaches and the national media questioning why he'd leave Marquette for the ACC's "stepchild program" in the words of The Washington Post.[4] The Chicago Sun-Times characterized it as a "head-scratching move to an ACC bottom-feeder."[5] Williams left behind a program which was relatively bare as there were only 9 scholarship players – none taller than 6'7" – the following year for new Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski.[5] At Virginia Tech, he replaced James Johnson.

To some, his first season was a major disappointment, finishing 15th in the ACC with a 2–16 record. Marquette had never had a losing record in the Big East under Williams, and this matched Johnson's worst year for the most ACC losses in Virginia Tech history. However, the Hokie team established a young nucleus with several true freshmen starting and playing significant minutes. Expectations were further set higher after Williams was able to snag transfer commits from Maryland starter Seth Allen, and the highly talented South Florida Bull, Zach LeDay. They both became eligible the following year.

The Hokies opened 2015–16 with a disappointing home upset loss to the Alabama State Hornets in Blacksburg, but things looked to be turning around as several four-star recruits from the highly touted recruiting class began playing significant minutes along with the transfers. On January 4, 2016, the Hokies defeated the in-state rival Virginia Cavaliers at home, marking Williams's biggest win to date. Starting 2–0 in ACC action, including a home OT victory over NC State, the Hokies already had as many conference victories in the first week of January as in their entire previous year.

Reactions: pervisl
They had done everything they could and still lost to an artillery barrage. The moment was too raw. I don't recall there being any particularly bad feelings between the staff even when we won the "miracle on main".
That's what shocked me last night. Also, there wasn't anything I saw in the game that would warrant VT's coaches poor sportsmanship.

Buzz and his four assistants never said a word to Rick and never even looked him in the eye as they shook hands and blew by. I've never seen anything like that. What poor sportsmanship. The ACC office should hold them accountable.
Looked at video. Nothinf to it.

HOF coach vs. wannabe that hasn't won anything. Maybe that's a factor

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT