ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino not attending ACC Media Day

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
apparently this is on advice of counsel. I suppose you can't overrule the attorneys but I think this is a misstep. It seems unfair to have two players go face the music but leave the CEO at home. I think Pitino has it in himself to say "no comment" where necessary. In terms of optics it looks bad having him harp on the need for McGee to speak when it obviously isn't in McGee's best interest, but now Coach Pitino is having to be muzzled just the same.

Will an assistant coach go, or will UL not be represented? Is there an ACC requirement that the school be represented?

Oops. Sorry. Speed reading is a fault of mine. Didn't see the line about the two players attending.

Last edited:
He mentioned this at the Tip off luncheon speech. "This" was getting him out of Media Day. I believe there was even a little joke thrown in there too?

apparently this is on advice of counsel. I suppose you can't overrule the attorneys but I think this is a misstep. It seems unfair to have two players go face the music but leave the CEO at home. I think Pitino has it in himself to say "no comment" where necessary. In terms of optics it looks bad having him harp on the need for McGee to speak when it obviously isn't in McGee's best interest, but now Coach Pitino is having to be muzzled just the same.
That's easy. Those 2 players need to know how to say TWO words: NO COMMENT. That's all they have to say IF anybody asked them about the scandal. Simply and politely say NO COMMENT.

Cue, the sad part is....some low life reporter will ask those young men about the story. I would bet the house, it will happen.

Heck yeah the two players will be asked about the scandal. Reporters wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't.

Why do we expect the players to say"no comment" but Pitino can't?

This really flies in the face of leadership principles.

Not sure why they are advising him not to attend that is just strange. As others have said all he needs to say is "No Comment" or "I can't comment" leaving it to the players sucks and hey I have no problem if any of the players fly off the handle and respond however they want if those in charge are throwing them to the wolves.

Weak on his part.

It's really not Pitinos call. His being "advised" to not attend by counsel translates to him being told by his employer that he isn't going. Im sure the ACC folks are glad he won't be there as it would surely detract from the other teams.

This situation sucks period but we are fully immersed in it and we all need to settle in and accept that the lawyers now have the reigns. Its their job to manage what gets said publicly and who says it. I'm not the least bit surprised that they arent going to turn CRP loose in that environment. The media IMO will handle players very different than they would Pitino and the focus will be much more on the the team and the upcoming season, which is the purpose of the event and what everyone wants( except the media of course).

Cue, the sad part is....some low life reporter will ask those young men about the story. I would bet the house, it will happen.

So a reporter do his/her JOB is a low life?

Really odd a day after he basically says he is all in now he isn't talking? Since the story broke 3 weeks ago he has blabbered everywhere in the media now he can't talk?

This whole thing is so weird...

Yeah when I found out that Pitino wasn't going because he was advised not to by his lawyer so he couldn't say anything, the first thought I had was Pitino imploring McGee to step up and speak just a few days ago. WTF coach? You wanted McGee to talk against the advise of HIS council yet are hiding behind your own council?

Weak Sauce indeed. Not cool.

Crank, yes IMO reporters, media, press the who fricking group ask the stupidest questions, tell the stories the way they want in order to add the drama, they draw the uneducated into their stories, they could careless if what they are reporting is not the truth or that it's twisted and turned enough to make it a big story.
See Crank, I've been observing the media outlet group for many years and I find them all (very few exceptions) to be low lifes. Vultures! Drama Seekers! Liars! So yeah they suck!
There are a handful in Louisville that are good and truthful at their story telling. There are some in Louisville that just tell the facts and don't put dirty slants on everything they report. Maybe you have to have the nasty trait in order to get promoted? That's our society and it's accepted????

Last edited:
Crank, yes IMO reporters, media, press the who fricking group ask the stupidest questions, tell the stories the way they want in order to add the drama, they draw the uneducated into their stories, they could careless if what they are reporting is not the truth or that it's twisted and turned enough to make it a big story.
See Crank, I've been observing the media outlet group for many years and I find them all (very few exceptions) to be low lifes. Vultures! Drama Seekers! Liars! So yeah they suck!

The problem is that if you don't talk then the story is written by those who do. And if you don't show up then it only magnifies the silence.

It has been that way for over 100 years it isn't changing. But when two separate organizations ( IBJ, OTL) do investigations and essentially find bombshell findings of corupt recruiting practices you can't blame the media for asking questions.

That doesn't fall under the low life category/

Reactions: Stonewall12
The question is if the Univeristy told him not to go or his attorneys. The University says you aren't going then that is a different story. He really isn't in any position to challenge his bosses. With that said they should have said no one from the Univeristy would be attending.

The University gives it blessing and he dicided not to go then that is weak. Pitino knows how to handle the press and not say anything. The problem is he is in a no win situation. He isn't going to say anything about the case so the media will turn that into a circus even though they know he isn't going to say anything. He wouldn't come out of the media day unscathed either. It is pick your poison deal.The media would craft questions that they think aren't related to the scandal and then lay into him when he doesn't answer them.

For the talk show guys saying there folks in the media that do want to learn about the team well where were they in the summer when Louisville played real games? That would have told them a lot about this team. The bottom line ESPN didn't care about Louisville then and to be honest they wouldn't have care much about Louisville this year if the scandal didn't break. That is the truth.

The question is if the Univeristy told him not to go or his attorneys. The University says you aren't going then that is a different story. He really isn't in any position to challenge his bosses. With that said they should have said no one from the Univeristy would be attending.

The University gives it blessing and he dicided not to go then that is weak. Pitino knows how to handle the press and not say anything. The problem is he is in a no win situation. He isn't going to say anything about the case so the media will turn that into a circus even though they know he isn't going to say anything. He wouldn't come out of the media day unscathed either. It is pick your poison deal.The media would craft questions that they think aren't related to the scandal and then lay into him when he doesn't answer them.

For the talk show guys saying there folks in the media that do want to learn about the team well where were they in the summer when Louisville played real games? That would have told them a lot about this team. The bottom line ESPN didn't care about Louisville then and to be honest they wouldn't have care much about Louisville this year if the scandal didn't break. That is the truth.
I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC preferred that its media day not be turned into a circus.

Reactions: nccardfan
There are a handful in Louisville that are good and truthful at their story telling. There are some in Louisville that just tell the facts and don't put dirty slants on everything they report

Translation: The ones the report the news that I like to hear are good; the others are low-lives.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC preferred that its media day not be turned into a circus.

The problem with that thought is Roy Williams attended during the onset of the academic scandal at UNC.

I think the bigger issue here isn't about Pitino not attending but rather UL still sending two players to deal with it all. To top it off, they are sending two players who have only been in the program for a couple months. That would be like a company who is being charged with some sort of crime sending two janitors to court to answer questions instead of the CEO and CFO.

We don't know the decision surrounding the selection of the 2 players that are attending. They may have volunteered and pressed to be chosen. They may also be the 2 best public speakers on the team - they are 5th year SR's, so that is very possible.

Your analogy doesn't make much sense as the janitor would be the least qualified from an educational perspective, but the two 5th year SR's are actually the most qualified more than likely from an educational perspective.

We don't know the decision surrounding the selection of the 2 players that are attending. They may have volunteered and pressed to be chosen. They may also be the 2 best public speakers on the team - they are 5th year SR's, so that is very possible.

Your analogy doesn't make much sense as the janitor would be the least qualified from an educational perspective, but the two 5th year SR's are actually the most qualified more than likely from an educational perspective.

My point is that two lower level employees shouldn't answer the questions for the CEO and CFO. They may very well be well spoken because by all accounts they are intelligent and good young men. He could say no comment just as easily as they can.

Lets be honest here. I have admitted I am a UK fan and I like to think I have been civil in my posts with no trolling or baiting. If I haven't been, I would have been banned by now. I hate to see UL go through this as it looks bad for the entire state. Having said that, and please answer honestly, if the situation was reversed with UK was dealing with this scandal or something similar, this board would be all over Calipari if he skipped SEC media days including you Ipartied. Would you not? I, as a UK fan, would be all over him for it. Granted, many posters have called out Pitino for this move hear.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
My point is that two lower level employees shouldn't answer the questions for the CEO and CFO. They may very well be well spoken because by all accounts they are intelligent and good young men. I just think it is cowardly by Pitino. He could say no comment just as easily as they can.

Lets be honest here. I have admitted I am a UK fan and I like to think I have been civil in my posts with no trolling or baiting. If I haven't been, I would have been banned by now. I hate to see UL go through this as it looks bad for the entire state. Having said that, and please answer honestly, if the situation was reversed with UK was dealing with this scandal or something similar, this board would be all over Calipari if he skipped SEC media days including you Ipartied. Would you not? I, as a UK fan, would be all over him for it. Granted, many posters have called out Pitino for this move hear.

I honestly don't follow conference media day coverage. Do players from other teams attend and speak, or is it always just a coach?

Maybe an assistant coach could have been elected, or maybe Jurich should have assigned himself to attend.

TBH, I don't care about the media day event, so I don't care who they send. I'd prefer they send the Cardinal Bird in full garb.

You have been civil. I didn't really get after you in my response, I just shared a casual opinion about a topic I don't really care all that much about. I just like to exchange points of view while drinking my java bro. You are fine by me and should post around here as much as you'd like.

I didn't mean to imply that you were getting on me. My apologies if it came across that way. I know this is your "home" so to speak and I am a guest here. I enjoy the rivalry, intelligent basketball conversation, and some good natured smack talk. I don't get into the baiting and trolling. I like a civil debate and just want to make sure I stay on good terms while a guest here. Ipartied you seem like a good dude and I have enjoyed our discussions. Too bad one of us roots for the wrong team. Depending on who you ask. ;)

Heck yeah the two players will be asked about the scandal. Reporters wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't.

Why do we expect the players to say"no comment" but Pitino can't?

This really flies in the face of leadership principles.
Maybe you should root for blue and white?
Take this scandal to go be a fan of a team you can care about?

Maybe you should root for blue and white?
Take this scandal to go be a fan of a team you can care about?
This particular time Hank has a valid point. Pitino telling McGee to talk then buttoning his own lip is a bit hypocritical. I do agree that Hank loves to be negative, but that's his choice and I respect it.

This particular time Hank has a valid point. Pitino telling McGee to talk then buttoning his own lip is a bit hypocritical. I do agree that Hank loves to be negative, but that's his choice and I respect it.
In this investigation the ncaa is telling coach he can not address anything. He also has pneumonia.

Andre does need to address this issue, but he can not speak either.

This Madame has lied at the expense of Louisville. Its only a matter of time before she is charged.

Its up to real fans to support the team in the meantime. I can understand that a great mumber do no support the team, they just bitch and moan with every lie told.

In this investigation the ncaa is telling coach he can not address anything. He also has pneumonia.

Andre does need to address this issue, but he can not speak either.

This Madame has lied at the expense of Louisville. Its only a matter of time before she is charged.

Its up to real fans to support the team in the meantime. I can understand that a great mumber do no support the team, they just bitch and moan with every lie told.

If you want to compare money spent on the program, games attended, road games attended, etc I would guess you would fall very short of me in the "real fan" category. If you think blindly following and agreeing with everything the program does, then you are not using the brain God gave you very well.

If you want to compare money spent on the program, games attended, road games attended, etc I would guess you would fall very short of me in the "real fan" category. If you think blindly following and agreeing with everything the program does, then you are not using the brain God gave you very well.
Im 41 and the family has had tickets since the peck Hickman era....
See the post in the other thread.

I apologize sir.
Honestly.

Just as frustrated as you are..

• The same media that had stories from coast to coast about UL BB and Chris Jones. They had him tried convicted and doing time. All for the big story on UL. Now they are out there slamming, trying, convicting and calling for RP to be fired. They love to trash CRP and I just don't get it. I guess when you make the media look like idiots(not difficult to do), they unite and go for your throat.

• The same media that had stories from coast to coast about UL BB and Chris Jones. They had him tried convicted and doing time. All for the big story on UL. Now they are out there slamming, trying, convicting and calling for RP to be fired. They love to trash CRP and I just don't get it. I guess when you make the media look like idiots(not difficult to do), they unite and go for your throat.
I agree PH. I doubt seriously that anyone, including Bozo, believes CRP told someone in the program to go out and hire whores so that we could lure recruits. I doubt that few, if any, believe CRP became aware the alleged activity before he reported to NCAA, and let it continue.
Yet, immediately, Bozo and others on this board say CRP must go.
Now, I am aware of the "lack of institutional control" NCAA catchall charge that is supposed to snare the "captain of the ship" but I have neither heard nor seen anything close to that proven. Yet Bozo and some on this board say CRP must immediately fall on his sword. Where, I ask, are we going to get a HOF coach who clearly (and unfortunately) has to do, and has done, more with less, and we are supposed to do all of this less than a month before the start of the season.
I say this being a Card fan since 1952, and being initially upset that Coach Crum was replaced by someone who had coached at the evil empire.

He should be going to the media day. Blah Blah blaming it on advice of counsel is weak. Like the others, I can't understand why he couldnt have the parameters set beforehand. The 2 players going, whomever they are, will be pestered to death. He's a man that chooses his words wisely and carefully, he could handle anything they lob at him. JMO

Reactions: footnfan1
Thanks sham. I'm glad some posters will step up and state the obvious for the posters whom the obvious tends to bypass... :rolleyes:

And our LPT visitors for whom nothing is obvious.

"Elite program", my a$$...

I don't see too much hypocritical in Pitino wanting McGee to come clean based on the timing of Pitino's comments... Those were the first words out of Pitino's mouth three weeks ago and before everyone had lawyer-ed up including himself.

TODAY, everyone is in their respective bunkers huddled with their lawyers. And Pitino's not saying anything to McGee, the media at ACC Media Days, or anyone else publicly.

Pitino's own behavior through the first three weeks of this mess was completely consistent with the remarks he made to/about McGee. My brother who is an attorney commented to me over the weekend that Pitino needs to keep his mouth shut. And not specifically about McGee. Pitino's own unbridled behavior is completely consistent with a guy saying everyone needs to step up and tell the truth. Maybe not the wisest or what he's now doing, but genuine and pretty consistent...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT