ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino's contract was tied strongly to Jurich.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I know there is anger towards Tom for the contract extension. Two things to point out: The original buyout started at $10M then reduced $1.5M each year after '17. Current buyout is reportedly $12M this year and next, then reduces each year after '19. Point is when we're talking that much money, $8.5M, which would have been the buyout this year compared to $12M, $3.5M isn't that big of a deal, all things considered. But, all of this is moot, because of this specific contract language regarding the buyout:

Said amount shall be paid within twenty-one (21) days of Employee's final day of employment. Each of the amounts set forth above (8.3(i)-(iv) shall be reduced by 50% if at the time payment is due, Tom Jurich is not the Athletic Director of the University.

I was thinking about the Petrino & Jurich relationship the other day and was wondering if the firing of TJ took something out of CBP. Tom and CBP were close and TJ went out on a limb to bring Bobby back. I think CBP worked hard because he felt like he owed it to TJ to be successful, just a thought.

I was thinking about the Petrino & Jurich relationship the other day and was wondering if the firing of TJ took something out of CBP. Tom and CBP were close and TJ went out on a limb to bring Bobby back. I think CBP worked hard because he felt like he owed it to TJ to be successful, just a thought.
Maybe, but probably from the viewpoint that CBP probably thought he could retire here, name his son as coach in waiting and be set for life. My how things can turn. Now, he could still do that if his team would stop underperforming and he rejuvenates the fan base. Time will tell. Excuses are no longer accepted.

Maybe, but probably from the viewpoint that CBP probably thought he could retire here, name his son as coach in waiting and be set for life. My how things can turn. Now, he could still do that if his team would stop underperforming and he rejuvenates the fan base. Time will tell. Excuses are no longer accepted.
All except for the part where he names his son "coach in waiting". I don't care if he wins multiple CFB playoffs - that will never happen. Richard Pitino has a better chance of being a HC at UofL than Nick Petrino does.

Using your scenario, why do you say this?
I was exaggerating for effect but I truly don’t believe that there was, is or would be any scenario where someone with the lack of experience or resume of nick Petrino would be designated as coach in waiting at the P5 level. Maybe Trinity but that’s about it.

I was exaggerating for effect but I truly don’t believe that there was, is or would be any scenario where someone with the lack of experience or resume of nick Petrino would be designated as coach in waiting at the P5 level. Maybe Trinity but that’s about it.
Obviously though, Nick has decided to follow his dad’s footsteps (as did Bobby and Paul) into the coaching profession. Bobby is going to do everything in his power to see that happens. It’s what dad’s do for their sons. However Bobby’s ego doesn’t allow him to see what a disservice this is to both U of L fans and to NIck. He needs to earn it on his own without dad’s help.

Reactions: BPGhost
Obviously though, Nick has decided to follow his dad’s footsteps (as did Bobby and Paul) into the coaching profession. Bobby is going to do everything in his power to see that happens. It’s what dad’s do for their sons. However Bobby’s ego doesn’t allow him to see what a disservice this is to both U of L fans and to NIck. He needs to earn it on his own without dad’s help.
Exactly right. There are some obvious parallels to the Rick / Richard situation - even now with things crashing down around Petrino. Unfortunately unlike Pitino did by sending Richard off to Florida when he thought he might get fired over the sypher situation - Petrino doesn’t have anyone other than Paul in Idaho (maybe) to ship Nick off to preemptively in the event things continue to go south for him.

Not sure I agree entirely with this cause and effect, but I'm not a big believer in coincidences. It was foolhardy for the new regime to believe that any stiff could step into Jurich's shoes, not so much because of what a successor needed to accomplish but what unknowns were at work. And key among those were relationships.

No coincidence IMO that Walz hires an agent and McDonnell flirts with Mississippi State. Sure those guys explained it in other ways and reiterated their U of L allegiances.

And donor relationships are easy to quantify. What's happened there and what continues to happen?

I maintain that this is a story with a lot bigger script than most wanna admit. And these problems that come up are not coincidental. It's not Jurich's fault that Petrino isn't performing. It's not even his fault that Petrino's contract is now a problem. It's someone's fault that Jurich is no longer around to get us past this stuff. And it's why our football program among others is now at risk...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT