ADVERTISEMENT

Petition to retire Teddy's Number

redbarron57

6000+
Oct 30, 2005
So I would like to see the Number 5 at Papa Johns Cardinal stadium hanging up next to Johnny Unitas number.
Here are my reasons.
He led us to first in school history back to back 11 then 12 win seasons.
2011 Big East Co Champion
2012 Big East Co Champion
Won Sugar Bowl
Won Russel Athletic Bowl
Drafted in the first round of the NFL draft
Earned a starting position on an NFL roster
Earned rookie of the year finalist recognition

So Im sure I am missing something a record or some thing like that.

I think the most import thing to note here is just the manor in which Teddy has done all of this. He has been the ultimate ambassador for the UofL and for the city of Louisville.

So if you agree then add your screen name as your signature and if you can think of any additional reasons or achievements then please add them on here.

Just hang it up with the rest, but dont retire it. I think retiring a number should be reserved for players who do something special like Teddy AND play out their full eligibility here. You should not be retired if you left early.

Originally posted by CardVille:
Just hang it up with the rest, but dont retire it. I think retiring a number should be reserved for players who do something special like Teddy AND play out their full eligibility here. You should not be retired if you left early.
Teddy didn't leave early- he left with degree in hand. He just didn't exhaust his eligibility.

Lets give him a few more years in order to allow his legend grow. He's off to a great start, however. I don't think there's any question, if he stays on the same path, his number will eventually get retired.

We honored Redmans jersey at his senior day. Bridgewater's #5 should be honored at the next UofL football game he can personally attend.

If he goes on to have a Hall of Fame NFL career, his #5 should be retired, just like JohnnyU's.

He will have his jersey up at some point but I would not retire his number. It not that he does not deserve it though. The issue is you need all the numbers for the team. With about 95 players on the roster and rules requiring certain positions to wear certain numbers you cannot just retire Numbers from use. On top of that #5 is popular with new recruits.

Besides that while Teddy was a great QB and did a lot for the school in their day so did Chris Redman and Brian Brohm. No reason to play favorites. They all deserve to have the numbers up in the stadium.

While we are on the subject they had better figure out were they can add more players names. There is a lot of guys who deserve right now. We can start with Brian Brohm, Elvis and Eric Wood.

Maybe they should pull a page from the UK book. Replace the current hanging signs with another Ribbon board they can put the names on. You can rotate as many as you want. They will be much brighter and show up on TV. If you have to run a few adds to pay for the sign no big deal.

Tyler Ferguson is #5 next season. If they choose to honor the number, they typically wait at least 5 years to do so.

I consider this to be an issue dealt with in the future. He is one year removed from playing here, I'm not yet worried about retiring anything or erecting any statues yet. That stuff can come years down the road. I don't understand the rush.

Originally posted by cardinalmafia8086:
As of today....Dumervil is more deserving than Teddy.
Agreed.

Teddy's number will definitely be honored.

Retired??

I think PushUp said it best in this thread. Wait and see there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT