ADVERTISEMENT

Payton is transferring

She definitely don’t get the playing time of HVL. That’s what’s weird about the roster. He plays HVL 38 min a game with a stacked roster. Other players are feasting for minutes at the other four positions.

I hate to say this. But…to me, CJW was shown a bit of favoritism at times. Certain players get seriously chewed on for their mistakes. Others, not so much for similar issues.

This hurts….. and did you see #21 coke off the bench…. She looks pretty darn good. This team has some serious issues….

We also don’t have a leader. No Evans or Durr. We’re missing the floor general and HVL isn’t it. It’s not her personality

Reactions: FlavRunit
I disagree I think HVL is a good leader I just think you have some other players who think they should be the leader. We didn’t have this problem last year so it is someone new causing the problem. I also hate losing Payton she was one of my favorite players as well. I hope we can solve the problem and get back to playing good basketball and not lose anymore players.
If this is the problem and I was CJW I would ask the player causing problems to pack it up and leave. It is hard for me to believe that we can go from a Final Four team to this. Like I posted on the other thread I can see Payton going to Duke where her mother played and torching us when we play them.

With such a deep roster I figured we would lose a player or more by the end of the season. With the easy access to transfer, it's not that much of a hindrance for players these days to do it.

Payton was a candidate because as a sophomore she was expected to make the next step as a highly rated recruit usually does. However, she just shot poorly which is supposed to be her strength, and apparently the rest of her game wasn't good enough to earn more minutes.

These players usually had to stick it out and persevere, but now with the portal, a player can look around, do a little research, and find another school where she/he thinks they will get playing time.

Good luck to her with her new school. All teams lose players, especially Louisville. But that means there will be others to take the place which usually works out for the women's team at least.

Reactions: Deeva
I disagree I think HVL is a good leader I just think you have some other players who think they should be the leader. We didn’t have this problem last year so it is someone new causing the problem. I also hate losing Payton she was one of my favorite players as well. I hope we can solve the problem and get back to playing good basketball and not lose anymore players.
If this is the problem and I was CJW I would ask the player causing problems to pack it up and leave. It is hard for me to believe that we can go from a Final Four team to this. Like I posted on the other thread I can see Payton going to Duke where her mother played and torching us when we play them.
Good point about HVL and last year. I agree with your last paragraph. It’s definitely a chemistry issue and I would agree we have a bad apple in the bunch.

No answers yet, as CJW comments last night give no hint as to why Peyton left, or what is wrong with his team. OT loss at Gonzaga was a close game until the OT, losing by 12 in just 5 minutes was telling. Beating Texas was an indication as to the talent and effort by the ladies, but losing by 10 to SDST was alarming.. Then HVL sits out against a rebuilding Longwood team, while others step up showing some serious potential. We play well in the first 25 minutes or so before getting humiliated by OSU at home in the final 15 minutes.

Peyton leaves and we get further exposed by MTSU where we lost any semblance of team work. HVL goes 4-18 and commits 5 TOs while no one else, other than Cochran, play up to their level and she is neglected after a great start.

No inside information here, but something must have happened on that road trip that has affected this team‘s chemistry. Jones is not playing remotely close to expectations, and HVL is really struggling. Perhaps even more disturbing is seeing Robinson, Konno, Dixon and Russel failing to demonstrate the leadership and experience they bring from years on this team.

HVL is the leading scorer and top rebounder on the team how can you take her out?
HVL plays almost 10 min more per game than the next starter and has shot 70 more shots than the 2nd highest scorer. She’s been allowed to play through multiple mistakes and started last year 2-21 from 3pt land and never lost a minute. I like HVL, but Payton not anyone else since Dana has had that feeedom of knowing I’m not coming out regardless of what I do.

nah, just speaking the truth listening to parents complain about HVL on Twitter. HVL is a very good basketball player but Nobody gets that type of freedom on a team. If Jones played her minutes she would lead this team in scoring. Payton played those minutes she would have flourished as well. There is a huge discrepancy in minutes being played for a team that goes 11 deep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bardman
I don’t know about Jones she was scoreless against MTSU. She looked good against OSU the first half but didn’t do anything the 4th quarter.

Reactions: FlavRunit
This is not CJW’s first rodeo; he knows this roster and understands the individual players’ talents and abilities. However, I suspect that Jeff has no way to know all of what is going on inside the minds and hearts of these kids, particularly the underclassmen and these new transfers.

Peyton‘s departure, in combination with the most disappointing performance of this team, tells me there are internal issues between the players, as well as between Jeff and some of the players.

Others have said it and it needs to be repeated ……. there is a lot of talented experience that returned this season that have been deprived of floor time, but have under-performed when given the few minutes to contribute. I would have thought that Konno, PVH and Dixon would have really stepped it up, especially in this early part of the season.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
This is not CJW’s first rodeo; he knows this roster and understands the individual players’ talents and abilities. However, I suspect that Jeff has no way to know all of what is going on inside the minds and hearts of these kids, particularly the underclassmen and these new transfers.

Peyton‘s departure, in combination with the most disappointing performance of this team, tells me there are internal issues between the players, as well as between Jeff and some of the players.

Others have said it and it needs to be repeated ……. there is a lot of talented experience that returned this season that have been deprived of floor time, but have under-performed when given the few minutes to contribute. I would have thought that Konno, PVH and Dixon would have really stepped it up, especially in this early part of the season.
It appears that several have stepped into the breach and the Cards are better off for it. Go Harris and Russell and Dixon!!!!!! Long live the Coach!!! 😁

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT