ADVERTISEMENT

Papa Johns Stadium Visit

arenafanatic

Getting the Hang of It
Jan 17, 2011
I will be heading to Papa Johns Stadium for the Duke game on Friday!

I am looking for suggestions on things to see, do and eat on my trip. I review the campus as well but I am not sure how much has changed since I reviewed it during by YUM! Center review in 2015. (Still my top college arena).

Thanks! Go Cards!

I'm sure there will be others who can tell you about what to see and do in Louisville. I have my own list, all of which involves visiting family and none of which would interest a visitor....

As far as athletics facilities goes, there are two new on-campus athletics facilities that have opened since 2015: the Mark and Cindy Lynn soccer stadium is one, and the Thornton's Academic Center is the other. The Academic Center opened just a couple of months ago, and is located at the south entrance to the football stadium and is built directly under the south end zone party deck of the stadium.

You may already know about this, but just in case ... there is a pretty good campus virtual tour located here. You might find something that piques your interest to visit regarding the campus.
http://www.youvisit.com/tour/Louisville

Reactions: tkdcoach
A visit to the bulletin bourbon distillery! It's fairly close by and any of the bourbon tours are full of Louisville history.

I'm sure there will be others who can tell you about what to see and do in Louisville. I have my own list, all of which involves visiting family and none of which would interest a visitor....

As far as athletics facilities goes, there are two new on-campus athletics facilities that have opened since 2015: the Mark and Cindy Lynn soccer stadium is one, and the Thornton's Academic Center is the other. The Academic Center opened just a couple of months ago, and is located at the south entrance to the football stadium and is built directly under the south end zone party deck of the stadium.

You may already know about this, but just in case ... there is a pretty good campus virtual tour located here. You might find something that piques your interest to visit regarding the campus.
http://www.youvisit.com/tour/Louisville

The soccer stadium was there on my last visit and it is really nice! I will make sure to see the Academic Center on this visit.

Thanks!

A visit to the bulletin bourbon distillery! It's fairly close by and any of the bourbon tours are full of Louisville history.

I have always wanted to go on a tour. If I stay on Saturday it will be under consideration. Thanks!

If you haven't already, you may want to visit the Muhammad Ali Center. Also Keeneland has their fall racing schedule going.

The Muhammad Ali Center is up there on my things to do. Thanks!

The Louisville slugger museum is pretty cool too if you are a baseball fan. There are not a ton of options near the stadium for dining but it's not too far from downtown. Against the grain (Brewery attached to Slugger field), Doc Crows, Mayan Cafe, and Feast are all worth checking out. Also make sure you check out the bourbon selection. If you don't want to go to a distillery I would look into Silver Dollar on Frankfort Ave or Haymarket which is downtown.

One of the more interesting dining experiences I have had in the last couple of years was at Brazeiros, 450 South 4th Street. It's a Brazilian restaurant. All you can eat steak - several different waiters come to your table with different cooked steak and meat cuts, and you pick the ones you want. They don't stop coming by and offering you more steak until you turn over your signal card indicating that you don't want any more. Loved it!

Reactions: arenafanatic
If you really want some top notch food, music, dancing, and entertainment, and you aren't bringing the family along, then try the Green Light Lounge on 7th street only a few blocks from the Stadium.The red snapper is to die for there, and try their hot pies and creampies for dessert.

If you are a big fan of tuna fish and hot tuna melts, Then make your way to other various establishments on 7th street such as The Dollhouse, or Bottoms Up. OMG, you can smell the delicious fish aroma as soon as you enter the building and sit at the bar. The girls that wait on you there are very friendly, and have excellent customer service skills. They will make you feel at home. Simply Amazing. I can't speak highly enough about their employees. A must visit.

Some people say Thoroughbred Lounge also on 7th street is a great place to eat, if you want to try that Kentucky Derby City Horse Racing Nostalgia. I've never tried their legs, thighs, breasts, or their crabs but I hear they are worth the money. The tacos are also a must eat although the meat appears pink, don't let them fool you, if you finger through the shells and gaze hard enough at them, they'll have you smacking & licking lips in no time. It's like Heaven on Earth for such a fair price.

You can make an Oktoberfest out of it and bounce place to place and enjoy some of the finest foods and entertainment this city has to offer.

I don't know if they are still open, but If you do decide that you want to try Cantmissprospect's recommendations, Connection, then you must ask for the tossed salad. I know its just tossing salad, but its the best in the nation. And If you like hotdogs then ask for their footlongs. They pack so much meat into your buns, it's literally breathtaking.

Any of these fine dining sports bars and grills are crowd pleasers, and favorites, for locals, and visitors alike. Don't sleep on em, or at em, and be safe, Have fun, and enjoy your stay here in The Ville.

If you still need a Hotel, and you're on a budget, then try Louisville Manor on Dixie Hwy. It's not too far out of the way from 7th street. They have hot tubs in the rooms for affordable rates and a bookstore for all your reading needs.
what the FEEEEEEZY
DON'T DO THIS TO HIM

THIS IS WORSE THAN THE TIME PEOPLE TOLD THE GUY TO TAKE HIS FAMILY TO CONNECTIONS.......................

If you really want some top notch food, music, dancing, and entertainment, and you aren't bringing the family along, then try the Green Light Lounge on 7th street only a few blocks from the Stadium.The red snapper is to die for there, and try their hot pies and creampies for dessert.

If you are a big fan of tuna fish and hot tuna melts, Then make your way to other various establishments on 7th street such as The Dollhouse, or Bottoms Up. OMG, you can smell the delicious fish aroma as soon as you enter the building and sit at the bar. The girls that wait on you there are very friendly, and have excellent customer service skills. They will make you feel at home. Simply Amazing. I can't speak highly enough about their employees. A must visit.

Some people say Thoroughbred Lounge also on 7th street is a great place to eat, if you want to try that Kentucky Derby City Horse Racing Nostalgia. I've never tried their legs, thighs, breasts, or their crabs but I hear they are worth the money. The tacos are also a must eat although the meat appears pink, don't let them fool you, if you finger through the shells and gaze hard enough at them, they'll have you smacking & licking lips in no time. It's like Heaven on Earth for such a fair price.

You can make an Oktoberfest out of it and bounce place to place and enjoy some of the finest foods and entertainment this city has to offer.

I don't know if they are still open, but If you do decide that you want to try Cantmissprospect's recommendations, Connection, then you must ask for the tossed salad. I know its just tossing salad, but its the best in the nation. And If you like hotdogs then ask for their footlongs. They pack so much meat into your buns, it's literally breathtaking.

Any of these fine dining sports bars and grills are crowd pleasers, and favorites, for locals, and visitors alike. Don't sleep on em, or at em, and be safe, Have fun, and enjoy your stay here in The Ville.

If you still need a Hotel, and you're on a budget, then try Louisville Manor on Dixie Hwy. It's not too far out of the way from 7th street. They have hot tubs in the rooms for affordable rates and a bookstore for all your reading needs.

These locations might be too classy for me.

You get in for free if you wear a sailor suit. And the footlongs are burnt, but that's to be expected.

4th Street Live (downtown) has a lot of food and entertainment. That's where the aforementioned Brazeiros is. Also Guy Fieri just opened arestaurant there.

But Bardstown Road is a more "Louisville". From Broadway alll the way down to Taylorsville Road- a span of about 3 miles, there are a ton of shops and restaurants.

Fun place for craft beer in an old church. On Bardstown road: http://gralehaus.com/

More of a "hole in the wall" kind of place. But I love it- http://www.rivercitydrafthouse.com/

Near Bardstown road- I love this place. Rustic. Awesome is on the menu. Good beer slection: http://wildgameburgers.com/

Toward the University from Bardstown road- A good place for pizza and craft beer: http://www.thepostlouisville.com/

4th Street Live (downtown) has a lot of food and entertainment. That's where the aforementioned Brazeiros is. Also Guy Fieri just opened arestaurant there.

But Bardstown Road is a more "Louisville". From Broadway alll the way down to Taylorsville Road- a span of about 3 miles, there are a ton of shops and restaurants.

Fun place for craft beer in an old church. On Bardstown road: http://gralehaus.com/

More of a "hole in the wall" kind of place. But I love it- http://www.rivercitydrafthouse.com/

Near Bardstown road- I love this place. Rustic. Awesome is on the menu. Good beer slection: http://wildgameburgers.com/

Toward the University from Bardstown road- A good place for pizza and craft beer: http://www.thepostlouisville.com/

Thanks for the suggestions. Wildgame burgers looks good!

what the FEEEEEEZY
DON'T DO THIS TO HIM

THIS IS WORSE THAN THE TIME PEOPLE TOLD THE GUY TO TAKE HIS FAMILY TO CONNECTIONS.......................

Some comedy gold is when that Southern Miss poster ClarenceWitherspoon was directed to Connections after the UofL vs USM bball game. Seems like he took it in stride despite his surprise of the venue.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Some comedy gold is when that Southern Miss poster ClarenceWitherspoon was directed to Connections after the UofL vs USM bball game. Seems like he took it in stride despite his surprise of the venue.
the guy took his entire family there looking for a good time. That had to suck. lol

I wouldnt do that to anybody.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I had a great time in the Ville. I am working on the review right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT