ADVERTISEMENT

Our Front 7 is Loaded

BrandonQuick

One-Star Poster
Dec 30, 2014
There's still a plethora of talent in the program even after the departures of high-draft NFL talent the last few years. That's why I always get a good laugh about the UK off-season warriors predicting yet another victory next year. Was just thinking about our defense in 2015, and I'm not sure there will be a better starting front seven in the nation. Depth won't be shabby either when you factor in unproven recruits, but here are the guys who've already demonstrated big-time ability:

D-Line:
Rankins (projects as a top three round NFL pick)
DeAngelo' Brown (very solid veteran who had a great 2014)
Pio Vatuvei (Another vet who looked great last season -especially pre-injury)
Devante Fields (Former Big 12 POY/projects as a top round pick)
James Hearns (former 4 star recruit)
Johnny Richardson (played excellent in back-up role last season/adds great depth)

Linebackers:
Ketih Brown-(Injury-plagued, but was a freshmen All-American under Strong)
Keith Kelsey(Had a great season last year...one of our top three tacklers)
James Burgess (Stud/will be an NFL draft pick in 2016)
Josh Harvey-Clemmons (While technically a safety, I'd expect to see JHC in the line-backer/end hybrid position played by Mauldin the last few years. This guy may be our top defensive player next year if he lives up to the hype and that's saying a lot).

I'm smart enough to know a 240lb guy is not going to play defensive line in a 3-4 scheme.
Plus, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I think we'll see Fields in Mauldin's spot at Jack, and I think JHC may move from strong safety to Mount's spot on the other side. JMO, of course.

Nice argument to have.

So much talent, gotta put them somewhere.

Much more fun than arguing about where we're gonna find somebody (anybody) to play somewhere.

JHC will be our starting Safety next year and Fields will replace Mauldin. We have plenty of talent at the Linebacker spot, PLENTY. JHC will follow in Pryor and Hollimon's footsteps.

Slightly off topic, but we are gonna set a record for the number of CARDS drafted this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT