ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kobe Bryant Dead At 41

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
His helicopter crashed.

• NBA legend: Kobe Bryant, 41, has died.
  • Fatal crash: Bryant was one of 5 people who died when helicopter crashed on a hillside in Calabasas.
Kobe was traveling with 4 other people n his private helicopter when it crashed in Calabasas. TMZ said Kobe's wife, Vanessa, was not among those on board.

The Federal Aviation Administration told Fox News the Sikorsky S-76 helicopter crashed under "unknown circumstances." The FAA said it was informed by local authorities there five people onboard at the time.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Kobe Bryant scored 60 points in his last game against the Utah Jazz. He could have played many more years if he had chosen to do so.

"Whatever form your dream may take, it's through passion and perseverance that the impossible is possible." - Kobe Bryant.

Rest in peace Black Mamba. You will never be forgotten.

His helicopter crashed.

• NBA legend: Kobe Bryant, 41, has died.
  • Fatal crash: Bryant was one of 5 people who died when helicopter crashed on a hillside in Calabasas.
Kobe was traveling with 4 other people n his private helicopter when it crashed in Calabasas. TMZ said Kobe's wife, Vanessa, was not among those on board.

The Federal Aviation Administration told Fox News the Sikorsky S-76 helicopter crashed under "unknown circumstances." The FAA said it was informed by local authorities there five people onboard at the time.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.
RIP Kobe. Kobe was to LA, what Griff is to Louisville.

Really sad I just commented to someone last week it looks like he was having a lot of fun with his 13 year old daughter who was also killed in the crash. He had so much to live for and a lot of time to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Like someone posted above we never know when our time will come.

Hailey Van Lith responded to the death of Kobe Bryant and his daughter on Twitter.
“ I am at a loss for words. I can only be thankful God gave me time to build a friendship and mentor ship with both of you. Van Lith wrote, “ Never have I seen a passion for life burn so bright in two individuals. Thank you for changing my life. Conversations I shared with you both touched my heart and I will cherish them forever, Until I see you again, I love y’all and Rest In Peace.

Thoughts and prayers to his family. So sad. One of the most spectacular and driven athletes ever. I have used his speeches about knowing that God had given him the gifts..... but that it would only matter if he put in the work to be the best to encourage young athletes i have coached. RIP

Reactions: PHCARD and Cue Card
i've been a die hard laker fan since i watched magic vs bird in the ncaa's and followed magic directly to the lakers and watched late night delayed broadcast games on my 13" color tv in 7th grade. i watched all five of his titles. simply a gut punch on the deepest levels. but i heard vince carter last night say kobe was happy and at total peace. perfect time for him, but it's the other 8 people also in the accident that suffered more. hopefully he wasn't the pilot, that'd change the memory

Hailey Van Lith responded to the death of Kobe Bryant and his daughter on Twitter.
“ I am at a loss for words. I can only be thankful God gave me time to build a friendship and mentor ship with both of you. Van Lith wrote, “ Never have I seen a passion for life burn so bright in two individuals. Thank you for changing my life. Conversations I shared with you both touched my heart and I will cherish them forever, Until I see you again, I love y’all and Rest In Peace.
What a great statement from someone in high school. If we are touched by his death, imagine what she is feeling.

Hailey Van Lith is going to be a phenomenal addition to the University of Louisville family.

With her signing here, my next thought was , Hailey getting Gigi to visit UofL as a possible college destination.

Just so sad all around.

With her signing here, my next thought was , Hailey getting Gigi to visit UofL as a possible college destination.

Just so sad all around.
It is very sad. She lost her life before it really ever got started. My heart breaks for her mom and her sisters. We can't possibly understand what they are going thru right now. The empty lost feeling has to be overwhelming.

Kobe truly was the man that modernized the NBA in the post Jordan era.

The NBA BOOM (basketball too) started in the 1980’s when Magic/Bird made the sport a national event. Jordan legitimized it as a true box office draw. But once Jordan was gone, society was changing.

The NBA needed a star. They were moving towards being an Allen Iverson led league from a style standpoint. He inspired a generation of kids that came from a rough generation to get out and succeed, but they needed someone else.

Kobe was the perfect post-Jordan star. He did it in the biggest NBA market for 20 years. His game wasn’t really flash, it was hard work. He was amazing to watch, but at the same time he played hard and to win on both ends of the court. He was a global citizen. He showed that even though he didn’t go to college, he could still be an intelligent figure on the big stage.

He didn’t have the freak athleticism like we see from a lot of guys, but he still could wow you with his game. He didn’t win all the awards or set all the records like LeBron/MJ, but he still put himself in the conversation and provided memories that will live on forever.

The NBA today is a global game. It’s a game that embraces all kinds of kids. He showed kids that you can have the highlights, but to be remembered you have to play hard and work hard every second.

His mentality and his effect are enormous. He’s like a Derek Jeter. He was all about growing the game and setting an example. The Mamba mentality will live on forever.

When we think of Kobe’s effect on say, Louisville Basketball fans, just watch Don Mitchell take over games for Utah. There is no Spida without Mamba. And many others can say that.

RIP to all that were lost and prayers for their family.

The whole situation with the loss of 9 people is so heartbreaking and tragic. Especially because of the young ladies losing their lives and also 3 families losing multiple members.

Kobe was one of my favorite NBA players. I admired his work ethic and mamba mentality. He had so much left to do. Things were not supposed to end this way. And yet they do....all the time.

ESPN has reported that Gianna was found in Kobe's arms.

I am short or devastated.
Truly Heartbroken........

As more information becomes available, it appears to me the passengers were unaware they were about to slam into the mountain. The helicopter didn't fall from the sky. It flew right into it. Also, looking at that debris field, the scatterd-ness of it all, I'd be shocked if Kobe and his daughter weren't separated upon crashing.

I'm still processing. I'm older than Kobe so I never quite revered him like I did Jordan, Magic, and Bird. He was a hell of a basketball player. Top 10 GOAT for sure.

As more information becomes available, it appears to me the passengers were unaware they were about to slam into the mountain. The helicopter didn't fall from the sky. It flew right into it. Also, looking at that debris field, the scatterd-ness of it all, I'd be shocked if Kobe and his daughter weren't separated upon crashing.

I'm still processing. I'm older than Kobe so I never quite revered him like I did Jordan, Magic, and Bird. He was a hell of a basketball player. Top 10 GOAT for sure.
I think that there’s times in basketball where one player rises above he rest. Where it’s there’s only 1 player who is clearly the best. Right now? I think there’s multiple guys competing for that top spot, Bron is the legend but he isn’t head and shoulders like he was early part of last decade.

If you’ve reached a point where you clearly are the best in the world at any point in time, I believe you are a GOAT. Kobe the last 5 years of the 2000s decade was on another level than anyone else. He could score with anyone and defend the other teams best player. He won titles and led the Olympics. No one else debated his status as King until LeBron took over.

When you can separate yourself as THE TOP GUY above everyone else for a period of time, not just one year, you are a GOAT.

Players that reached that point are

Kareem Abdul Jabar 1970s
Magic Johnson 1980s
Michael Jordan 1990s
Shaq from 1999-2003
Kobe Bryant 2006-2010
LeBron James 2011-2017

Right now you got several top dogs going for #1, so there isn’t a head and shoulders top guy. Durant, LeBron, Kahwhi, Greek Freak, Davis, etc.

Heck, it’s even special that LeBron who has fallen a bit on defense is still considered up there with those guys.

I think that there’s times in basketball where one player rises above he rest. Where it’s there’s only 1 player who is clearly the best. Right now? I think there’s multiple guys competing for that top spot, Bron is the legend but he isn’t head and shoulders like he was early part of last decade.

If you’ve reached a point where you clearly are the best in the world at any point in time, I believe you are a GOAT. Kobe the last 5 years of the 2000s decade was on another level than anyone else. He could score with anyone and defend the other teams best player. He won titles and led the Olympics. No one else debated his status as King until LeBron took over.

When you can separate yourself as THE TOP GUY above everyone else for a period of time, not just one year, you are a GOAT.

Players that reached that point are

Kareem Abdul Jabar 1970s
Magic Johnson 1980s
Michael Jordan 1990s
Shaq from 1999-2003
Kobe Bryant 2006-2010
LeBron James 2011-2017

Right now you got several top dogs going for #1, so there isn’t a head and shoulders top guy. Durant, LeBron, Kahwhi, Greek Freak, Davis, etc.

Heck, it’s even special that LeBron who has fallen a bit on defense is still considered up there with those guys.
Can’t have Magic without Bird... That’s the issue, there were more than 1 but often times we are only asked to name 1.

They were flying in intense fog.
They hit the hill or mountain.
Missed clearance by 30 feet.

The fog was so bad, the LA county Sheriffs grounded all 12 of their helicopters.

This was preventable :(

Reactions: PHCARD and CardX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT