ADVERTISEMENT

OSU AD promotes 1 time transfer exemption.

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
OSU AD Gene Smith tells Espin.

They can transfer without sitting out a year.

Now P5 schools will just raid non P5 schools and low level P5 schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds
The lower level schools have to be very concerned about this proposal. It would be akin to the recruiting of JUCOs. I’m guessing that Mr. Smith figured out that this just might be to tOSU’s advantage. What a crock. What’s next - going after other P5 school athletes? Jeeze.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: KerryRhodes
It is already happening more and more kids are entering the portal. If the transfer rule is a conference decision not a NCAA decision then other conferences will follow suit.

Scholarships are a 1 year contract not 4 year. I like it for the players. It gives the kids the opportunity to leave a bad situation or correct a bad decision. You know sometimes they get to campus and realize they not going to see the field. They can transfer up or down the food chain.

I don’t see it changing the status quo. I think it would tough on coaches. I think basketball would be a nightmare, but man talk about being able to fill a position of need in a hurry.

I would make it tougher to transfer again. Completely eliminate any avenue to transfer again the next year maybe they aren’t eligible to transfer for 2 years.

For the players it is the right thing to do.

It is already happening more and more kids are entering the portal. If the transfer rule is a conference decision not a NCAA decision then other conferences will follow suit.

Scholarships are a 1 year contract not 4 year. I like it for the players. It gives the kids the opportunity to leave a bad situation or correct a bad decision. You know sometimes they get to campus and realize they not going to see the field. They can transfer up or down the food chain.

I don’t see it changing the status quo. I think it would tough on coaches. I think basketball would be a nightmare, but man talk about being able to fill a position of need in a hurry.

I would make it tougher to transfer again. Completely eliminate any avenue to transfer again the next year maybe they aren’t eligible to transfer for 2 years.

I forgot to add, theyll be able to transfer without sitting out a year.

There’s a simple solution. Allow the one-time transfer exemption, but enforce a mandatory sit-out year for any student athlete transferring from a non P5 to a P5. Seems fair and equitable to me.

Student athletes should be able to do anything regular students can do. I don’t know if the “raiding” will just be one way, however. What about all those four stars riding the pine at Bama and Clemson? It might actually more equally distribute talent, though I’m sure Smith has greedy intent.

There’s a simple solution. Allow the one-time transfer exemption, but enforce a mandatory sit-out year for any student athlete transferring from a non P5 to a P5. Seems fair and equitable to me.
It is not fair to the student athlete in the non power 5. I think it could actually help the non power 5 especially in basketball. Nevada was a good example 2 years ago.

It is not fair to the student athlete in the non power 5. I think it could actually help the non power 5 especially in basketball. Nevada was a good example 2 years ago.

You know wholl benefit the most in basketball.
Crapiperi.
It will keep uofk good, however his coaching keeps him out of the F4.
Id love see uofk go to another NIT under that lame ass.

You're a Top 30 program in a sport that fields 300+/- teams.

Anything that benefits the bigger programs benefits you...

This but in the interest of a healthy sport we can’t cannibalize
I don't know what a "healthy sport" means. If it means that only 50 schools can field a competitive football team, that means those schools will get all of the money that college football can generate. And it doesn't look like people are getting tired of seeing the same three teams in the playoff every year.

You should ride that horse and cash that check...

The NCAA should be about the student athlete. That is their priority. They have tried to level a playing field which is impossible to do. The only way to to do that is to legislate or implement rules that end up hurting the student athlete.

The transfer rule has always been silly to me since all the scholarships are renewable after 1 year. A player can be ran off but he/she is penalized further by having to sit out a year.

College sports is in a interesting place right now. They better figure college football out. It has become a regional sport I am not sure that is sustainable. Would college basketball tournament be as popular if it stuck to its limited access?

exactly. people are allowed to leave jobs if they don't like it. ncaa is the equivalent to endentured servitude

I don't know what a "healthy sport" means. If it means that only 50 schools can field a competitive football team, that means those schools will get all of the money that college football can generate. And it doesn't look like people are getting tired of seeing the same three teams in the playoff every year.

I don’t disagree, but the “health” of the sport I referenced is more about keeping bigger schools from dipping into the talent pool of smaller schools via the transfer portal. There should be some penalty or restriction to keep this from happening willy nilly. The big schools already enjoy a host of significant advantages without being granted yet another.

A healthy sport has a degree of competitive balance.

Reactions: RomanOben
I don’t disagree, but the “health” of the sport I referenced is more about keeping bigger schools from dipping into the talent pool of smaller schools via the transfer portal. There should be some penalty or restriction to keep this from happening willy nilly. The big schools already enjoy a host of significant advantages without being granted yet another.
Again you are penalizing the student athlete. Let’s say this is your son playing for Kent State. He is absolutely killing it at Kent State. He is provided the opportunity to play at a Power 5 school, but he can’t transfer because of a rule. I don’t think you would take that position because you are limiting his freedom of choice. My advice to my son would be stay loyal but it is his life. He should make that call.

One option would be limit the number of transfers a power 5 team could accept in a calendar year. That would effectively control that market. Let the non power 5 have more spots than the power 5.

Again you are penalizing the student athlete. Let’s say this is your son playing for Kent State. He is absolutely killing it at Kent State. He is provided the opportunity to play at a Power 5 school, but he can’t transfer because of a rule. I don’t think you would take that position because you are limiting his freedom of choice. My advice to my son would be stay loyal but it is his life. He should make that call.

One option would be limit the number of transfers a power 5 team could accept in a calendar year. That would effectively control that market. Let the non power 5 have more spots than the power 5.

You forget the impact this would have on the Kent States of the world. Yes, a limit on how many transfers a P5 school could take would be a positive thing. Plus increase the number of schollys a Kent State could offer all the while decreasing the number of schollys the P5 school could offer. Also I’d say that there should be some kind of subsidization of the Kent States scholarship expenses from the P5 schools. Otherwise this simply won’t work. The one year “sit out rule” is still the best solution from keeping the tOSUs of the world from raiding the Kent States of the world. I’d say leave it as is.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

There is a limit. It’s called not having more than 85 scholarships per year.

Reactions: zipp and gocds

Disagree. If my hypothetical son were killing it at Kent State I’d want him to stay and keep killing it. If he had has heart set on transferring, he should t mind sitting out a year.

tOSU, Bama, and Clemson can take at most 30 transfers per year. And if that happens, some important kids they already have on scholarship are gonna witness that and transfer themselves.

There are about 25 thousand college football players in the country and about 10% of those kids play for the best teams. Relax, you're one of those teams...

It would be crazy for coaches trying to manage a roster if every player can transfer and play immediately somewhere else. The constant shuffling would not be good for players or coaches. It would also create a "market" for outstanding players who can be "bought" to play immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT