ADVERTISEMENT

"One-and-done has to go one way or another" - Condoleezza Rice

Now this has some teeth. I dont like the freshman ineligible thing but the locked scholly would be tough.

"If a change is not made to one-and-done, Rice said the commission will look into options, such as making freshmen ineligible or locking a scholarship for three or four years if the recipient leaves a program after one year."

Reactions: Cue Card
Now this has some teeth. I dont like the freshman ineligible thing but the locked scholly would be tough.

"If a change is not made to one-and-done, Rice said the commission will look into options, such as making freshmen ineligible or locking a scholarship for three or four years if the recipient leaves a program after one year."
I actually like the freshmen ineligible rule. It gives the frosh a full year to get acclimated to college life while they focus on academics, then still gives them 4 years of playing eligibility. I would prefer that option over locking down a scholarship for 3 or 4 years regardless of how long the player it was awarded to stays in school.

Last edited:
I think they need the NBA's help to get rid of 1AD entirely. If you put in the 4-year scholarship burn, schools will still bring in 1AD just not 4 or 5 like what Duke and Kentucky are doing. The 1AD is still present, just spread out to more schools. That doesn't really get them out of the system. I think the NBA will eventually bring these kids into the G-League and that will solve it.

1AD was the Kwame Brown rule... To protect the NBA from itself. But I think the NBA has realized that they don't want college coaches instructing their star players during the players' most critical development years. It's better to get them into the NBA system and have NBA professionals overseeing their development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT