ADVERTISEMENT

Old Cardinal Stadium

Jun 10, 2005
Old Cardinal Stadium will be history starting Thursday.

Many good memories there. Stones, Farm Aid, State Fair Freebie concerts, Redbirds, and of course, UofL football.

3 greatest memories.

1. Brett Favre pass vs Southern Miss

2. Bye bye Bevo. Vs. Texas

3. The players fight in the tunnel vs. Memphis State

Many good memories there. Stones, Farm Aid, State Fair Freebie concerts, Redbirds, and of course, UofL football.

3 greatest memories.

I was very young, but I was there for all these games. Two of my best memories are Mark Sander pick 6ing Boston College, and Muhammad Ali coming on the field in a golf cart at the game against Tennessee.

my high school band marching at halftime of the UofL Cincinnati football game (no cardinal marching band back then), watching Boog Powell crush a home run to centerfield in an Baltimore versus Colonels exhibition game, attending Redbirds games with my dad the year they broke 1 million in attendance. and please forgive me watching Ted Nugget play Cat Scratch fever at Summer Jam 1.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Bob Seger and Silver Bullet Band concert and 1st Redbird game I ever attended I caught a foul ball that I still have. Went to several games after that and have never caught another one.

I played several HS football games back in the day for Bishop David, we always played St X and Trinity out there every year. We beat St X 7- 0 my senior year but lost to a strong Trinity team 21- 7 (i think). My last official football game was at Cardinal stadium in 1980 when we lost in the playoffs to Iroquois and a very quick RB that went on to play at Tennessee (can't remember his name - guess I am getting old). He was lightning fast on that turf. It was a big deal back then for us to play on turf felt faster, but it was a lot harder surface when you fell on it.

I remember the Favre pass & Penn State, Texas, Tenn, and when a fan ran onto the field and stole the WVU mountaineer's rifle cause he kept firing it off when they scored and they were scoring a lot that game. The whole crowed went nuts. We could take our own beer into the game in a plastic gallon jug back then.

Last edited:
Another memory from old Cardinal stadium. My dad was a Male High grad and he always took us to the Male/Manual game and back then in the 70s it was played on Thanksgiving day and sometimes at the Fairgrounds. This one game was very cold and my two brothers & I had hot chocolate and of course wrestling around, then we spilled it all over some people in front of us. Needless to say dad wasn't very happy nor were the folks in front of us.

Jugs of beer and a muzzle loader floating around in the crowd? They would evacuate the stadium now.

3 greatest memories.

4. San Jose St game with Jeff Garcia at QB was a classic in “The Snake Pit”!
5. Syracuse game with Don McPherson and Damon Bailey drops ball that would have won the game ( this is when Syracuse was a power).

Saturday MORNING games played on what Lee Corso called astro mud.
Sell out crowd for the Memphis State game (sidelines were roped off for standing room only crowd. Flaget St X games. The Redbirds. The first and only annual Bluegrass Bowl. Great times and great memories.

3 greatest memories.

First game was the Brett Favre pass....will never forget. And I tailgated next to some Texas fans. They were in an RV, borrowed some forks and had a couple of beers. I told them that would be the last thing they got for free on that day.....loved it when Bevo had to leave early because of the cannon.

Watching Carlton Fisk play for the Colonels.

You could get in free if you waited until the bottom of the 7th to go over :p

Reactions: gocds
Tailgated way too long one night after a UL football game. It was a warm evening, the parking lot was near empty. Trunk was open, golf clubs were exposed as well as my shag bag of balls. Next thing you know, we throw the floor mats down on the parking lot and start our own round of Top Golf. Golf balls hitting the back of the aluminum bleachers made as much noise as the touchdown cannons. Not proud of the dumb decision we made but it was a lot of fun. Luckily, nothing was hurt and we did not get arrested. Nor did the two attorneys that were with us.

I played several HS football games back in the day for Bishop David, we always played St X and Trinity out there every year. We beat St X 7- 0 my senior year but lost to a strong Trinity team 21- 7 (i think). My last official football game was at Cardinal stadium in 1980 when we lost in the playoffs to Iroquois and a very quick RB that went on to play at Tennessee (can't remember his name - guess I am getting old). He was lightning fast on that turf. It was a big deal back then for us to play on turf felt faster, but it was a lot harder surface when you fell on it.

I remember the Favre pass & Penn State, Texas, Tenn, and when a fan ran onto the field and stole the WVU mountaineer's rifle cause he kept firing it off when they scored and they were scoring a lot that game. The whole crowed went nuts. We could take our own beer into the game in a plastic gallon jug back then.
Smithereen, If you we talking about the 79 season, the Iroquois Back was Chuck Coleman I believe. I played for Trinity, started on the Oline that season graduating spring of 80. Great memories playing BD, DeSales, St.X, Iroquois, Doss, Ballard and a tough loss to Butler in the semi finals. That field was literally our second home while at Trinity. I still have scars on my knuckles from that old turf.

Reactions: Smithereen
Hey mwatson, yes it was Chuck Coleman. I can't believe I forgot his name, he torched us in the playoffs. He went on to Tennessee but I don't think he did much there. We only lost to them 8 -0 1st game of reg season, then he went crazy on that fast turf and was blown out.

I remember playing Trinity that year out at the fairgrounds, I was a LB and I hyper-extended my elbow tackling one of your backs (McConnell?), probably while you were blocking me. :)Just taped it up in 90 degree and kept playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwatson61
Hey mwatson, yes it was Chuck Coleman. I can't believe I forgot his name, he torched us in the playoffs. He went on to Tennessee but I don't think he did much there. We only lost to them 8 -0 1st game of reg season, then he went crazy on that fast turf and was blown out.

I remember playing Trinity that year out at the fairgrounds, I was a LB and I hyper-extended my elbow tackling one of your backs (McConnell?), probably while you were blocking me. :)Just taped it up in 90 degree and kept playing.
I think you guys lost 41-7 with the only points being a Paul Calhoun punt return? Is that correct? Coleman rushed for like 200 plus yards, or it seemed like it anyway.

Timmy McConnel was a manchild. I played guard and blocked a lot of linebackers and could’ve been me. Great memories.

Reactions: Smithereen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT